Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The seats in some of the older Ferraris dont look all that supportive. Do they hold you in when your cornering hard?

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
kensei said:
The seats in some of the older Ferraris dont look all that supportive. Do they hold you in when your cornering hard?
The oldest I have driven is a '82 308 and the answer is yes for that car. If the seat isn't holding you then the tires are likely not holding the car on the road and you're about to go off the road.

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
Seats

Sat in a 365 GTB (13855) once - supportive ? You needed a crowbar to prize you back out, but that was a Le Mans racecar. In comparison, I was a passenger in a 360 Modena round Silverstone and I didn't find the seats that supportive - but it was getting thrown about a bit !

Attachments

·
Registered
293 Posts
Enzo250GTO said:
The oldest I have driven is a '82 308 and the answer is yes for that car. If the seat isn't holding you then the tires are likely not holding the car on the road and you're about to go off the road.
My apologies, though must disagree. The Euro 85 308GTS with modern rubber (Mich Pilot PS2) can not hold me in the seat during turns on the track or very spirited road use. It was lackluster so replaced the stock seats with 'intermediate' Sparco Roadster and 4-point harness. Perhaps the 308 in stock form with lackluster metric TRX tires allow the car to slide a lot and not hold much side G-forces, but with modern rubber and tighter suspension the stock seats have much room for improvement.

NOTE: my waist size is 32, 5' 10" height and i weight 170 lbs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yesssss!

I am only a poor 330GT 2+2 owner which is in a state of disrepair at the moment. When Mine was running the seats held one in very well, curved and roundedseatwells but to really stay put I want to put in a 5 point harness. Alas, it is far down the list of things to do. Lets put it this way... in over 100000 miles I never fell out.
Sharkey

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Concurr

enjoythemusic said:
My apologies, though must disagree. The Euro 85 308GTS with modern rubber (Mich Pilot PS2) can not hold me in the seat during turns on the track or very spirited road use. It was lackluster so replaced the stock seats with 'intermediate' Sparco Roadster and 4-point harness. Perhaps the 308 in stock form with lackluster metric TRX tires allow the car to slide a lot and not hold much side G-forces, but with modern rubber and tighter suspension the stock seats have much room for improvement.

NOTE: my waist size is 32, 5' 10" height and i weight 170 lbs.
I agree that the tires make marked difference. Originally worn tires back then have less gripping forces than the modern tires. This does not mean they are inferior. We're talking about different breed of Ferraris w/ different potentials. The seats are more than adequate to serve the purpose of holding the driver in position. I have no complaints for my 60's and 70's Fsss. Jimmy

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
I think you need to look at the whole handling/support package from the standpoint of when it was produced. The support provided by the seats in the older Ferraris in general was more than adequate for the cornering forces that the cars were capable of at the time. When it gets out of wack is when you fit an older car with modern low profile sticky tires. Then the expectation that rest of the package will perform as well as the new tires without adding the same sort of modern upgrades to the seat etc does not work.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Ferrari seats

The oldest Ferrari I've driven was a '68 330GTC (love that car!) and the seats were comfy but the bolsters were pretty flat. Being that it was not my car and the owner was in the passenger seat, I drove rather conservatively and don't know how well they would support in vigorous cornering but I'd like to find out someday :). This is a 12 cyl model I would love to own and might actually be able to afford! 330GTS is one of my favs but I don't think my budget would ever allow for it :(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts