Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone

as you can see this is my first post:) Im looking to buy my first ferrari and have a budget of 30k-40k (£) what would that buy me in the way of model and age. I love the testarossa, i had the usual 'boys' poster on the bedroom wall in the 80's. Any help and advice would be appreciated:D :D

Dave

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
Welcome aboard….Take a look a the classifieds, see what’s in your budget, could be more than one model and then choose one you like and then do some homework on the model to see if it’s right for you (maintenance cost, power, style, condition of the car etc...) then come back to the forum and do a few searches about specific topics on that model and ask questions.

Keep us posted!

~

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Happy Searching

Welcome. It is best that you decide how you are going to use the car. Would it be just for weekend pleasure or to be used as city/ street driving. With the budget realtiy in mind, if you are after a V12, selections narrowed to a few. Once you decide the purpose, etc. then decisions easier to make. Have fun searching. Jimmy

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hi Guys

thanks for the replies. I guess its a weekend car only and i'd go to a max of £40000 for a nice low miles 1-2 owner car. The V12 really floats my boat but the V8 is up there to. I guess im after a mixture of speed, style and presence that only these cars can bring. I guess my annual maintanence budget is £3000 too. Like many of us i've wanted one for a long time but never pushed myself to much to buy one until now. I imagine im in for a torrid time trying to find the right one for me which is why i joined this forum. Any heads up on potential issues would be great too.

Jimmy i see your from Japan. I've posted you a picture of my old car, i hope you appreciate her.

Dave

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Wow

Did you get rid of that beautiful GTR ? Did you get tired of it or are you keeping this and looking for a Ferrari ? Seeing that you enjoy "flashy" and fast cars, maybe Testarossa is the kind of car you are after. (I was going to suggest 400i). There is one Testa at Bob Houghton in Northleach for just under 40,000 BP. (There's one more slightly higher). Take a look. Happy searching and thanx for the pics of your marvelous GTR. They are very popular and in high demand here. Lot's of diehards. Jimmy

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Jimmy

thanks for the info on the TR, does he have a website? I still own the GTR but im afraid the love affairs over so she'll be going the journey eventually. I did look at a 400i with a view to restoring it, then common sense arrived LOL!!
I may aswell go for a TR then, any common issues i need to be aware of?
Dave

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Dave, Given you budget, I am going to differ with my friend Jimmy and recommend a F355. For GBP 30-40 you should be able to find a low mileage mint F355 in the UK these days. Unless you are going to track the car, I would stay away from the F1 paddle gearbox and go with a 6 speed manual. several places to start looking are:

Mike Wheeler at www.rardleymotors.com
Nick Cartwright at www.nickcartwright.com
Bob Houghton at http://www.racecar.co.uk/bobhoughton/index.htm

or for private sales on the Ferrari UK Owners Club site: http://www.ferrariownersclub.co.uk/sales/sales.asp

I have worked with Mike Wheeler in the past and would do so again.

Good luck.

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Correction

Thanx for the input, Boxer. At first, I was going to mention F355 manual, but I thought the market prices were on the high side. I did not realize the UK market values were in Dave's price range. If that's the case, consider F355 seriously. That is an excellent choice, considering the maintenance fees and the rest. Nothing wrong w/ 400i but probably it is not "flashy" enough for your taste, Dave. See if you can test drive a F355 manual. Once you get over 5000rpm, you would fall in love w/ that sound. Must be one of the best sound around. Jimmy

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, I'll try to drive a few back to back and see how it goes from there. Colours combo?? any to avoid or which is the most desireable?

Dave

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Dave,
Great pictures! With your budget there is a pretty wide band of Ferraris for you to choose from. Jimmy's suggestion of a Testarossa and Boxer's suggestion of a 355 are both excellent choices that seem to be within your reach.

However, Ferraris are purchases made with the heart not the head and you already said you love the Testarossa. You want speed, style and presence the Testarossa will do it for you.

Get out there and look at these cars. You will know the correct car when you see it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Pete

hehehe!!! I know what you mean about a heart purchase, not head. I must admit i find the TR more attractive but the 355 still looks great too:D :D I'll find a garage with a few available ans see how it goes.

Dave

1 - 11 of 11 Posts