Ferrari Life Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This coming Friday, I will drive around 1,000 miles in my 550. Most of the mileage will be on multi-lane divided highways with a speed limit of 70 mph. The only twisties I will have is when I go down Lombard Street in San Francisco. Those are low speed ones. The V-12 is the very best thing I could take on this journey. When one cruises at high speed in a 550, it can be very relaxing. Traveling in the 550 is not as tiring as others engines. Smooth is important.

:green: :lol: :D :) :D :lol: :green:

·
Registered
900 Posts
Don't miss a shift...sorry, I couldn't resist. :lol: :lol: :eek: :green:

·
Registered
776 Posts
But...the downside...assuming 15 Miles per gallon, you will burn up 66.66...gallons of fuel. Round that to 67. :wink: If gas were $2.00 a gallon in Cali...you will go through $134 worth of fuel.

But...the feel of driving down the highway in a Ferrai more than makes up for the cost of fuel!!!!!!! I wish I were there to just drive my car along for the view. :D

·
Registered
749 Posts
So what driving style & "technique" will you be using on such a long drive, Bart?

Do you just get up to a certain speed and hold it (traffic permitting), or do you mix some "slow" crusing with bursts of "through-the-gears" excitement, or is it hard & fast all the way? :eek: :eek:

How many hours per day are you shooting for, Bart? Do you take time off to flick along any secondary roads or cruise Gangsta Cool through small byway hamlets? 8) 8)

Finally, we're going to need a full travelogue when you get back (I always love those speedo/tacho pix complete with the flashing lights in the rear mirror!) :D :p

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
360 Spyder said:
But...the downside...assuming 15 Miles per gallon, you will burn up 66.66...gallons of fuel. Round that to 67. :wink: If gas were $2.00 a gallon in Cali...you will go through $134 worth of fuel.

man that's very cheap
you guys should come to europe, try that and then get a heartattack :wink: :green:

Bart
stop telling about your roadtrips
BUT
post PICTURES about your roadtrips :green:

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
man that's very cheap
you guys should come to europe, try that and then get a heartattack :wink: :green:
I was in Portugal at christmas and paid just under $1 euro per litre of gas , that's aprox. $5 per gal U.S. :nuts:

Ed

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
4kids3fish,
This is a business trip. Straight though to Burlingame, work Saturday until 11:00 a.m. then blast to San Francisco for fun. Drive back Sunday a.m.

Any way I look at this trip, this will be fun. Even I-5 from the grapevine to Livermore will be nice. This is a very straight boring road with many trucks.

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
rosed37 said:
man that's very cheap
I was in Portugal at christmas and paid just under $1 euro per litre of gas , that's aprox. $5 per gal U.S. :nuts:

Ed
i don't know what you usually pay for a gallon, but i believe it's about 3 times cheaper with you guys or something

so
if i was in the US, and had a 550, you damn straight i would to such long trips with it, fuel is so cheap there, so enjoy the ride

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
In Canada we are at about .70 cents per litre= about $2.80 per gal.
the U.S. is even cheaper
Ed

·
Registered
895 Posts
Bart said:
4kids3fish,
This is a business trip. Straight though to Burlingame, work Saturday until 11:00 a.m. then blast to San Francisco for fun. Drive back Sunday a.m.

Any way I look at this trip, this will be fun. Even I-5 from the grapevine to Livermore will be nice. This is a very straight boring road with many trucks.
Wow, maybe if I'm lucky I can catch you flying through the city. :p

And ah, yeah, have fun!

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A couple of things about my trip. I allowed my employee, a 27 year old woman, to drive between the bottom of the grapevine to the I-5 - 580 split. As we were driving a red Prosche passed her. She asked me what to do and I said you are driving, do whatever you wish. Well, she past the Prosche. Her smile was from ear to ear.
On the way home a black Camero passed her. Again she asked me and I said the same thing. Blam! We passed the Camero.
After that she asked how fast could she drive it. I said it is up to you. At 140 mph she did slow down. She loved it.

I drove from the bottom of the grapevine to home. At the top I looked behind me and saw blinking reds lights. Yipes. I stop. The first CHP officer said he finally caught up with me after I slowed down a the top. Then a second black & white pulled over. THe second CHP said he could not catch me as I was goingg up the hill. He did love my car and I showed him everything. I was lucky. THe ticket was for 90 mph! If it had been 100 mph I would have gone to jail.
I never went over 130 mph going up the hill.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Good one Bart! I get the same story all the time, when the CHP says he has been following me at 130MPH and could not catch up with me. That's because I was going at least 145MPH and in some cases over 160MPH. But that's their problem! They should ride in a Ferrari. One time a Motorcycle CHP caught up with me 14 -15 minutes after I saw them (I was doing speed limit at the time). He caught up with me on the street about 4.5 miles from where apparently, he saw me take the exit. This is a funny story. The officer said he was doing over 145 and he could not catch up (he must have been holding on for his life). The only reason he caught up with me was he saw me take the exit (he must have been about a mile behind at that point) but still took him another 3 or so miles on the street to catch up with me (at which time I was doing speed limit). This was one of most bazzar tickets ever! This motorcycle CHP had already stopped somebody. While he was talking to the driver of the other car, he looks up and sees me in the fast lane going with traffic. Apparently, he walks towards his bike and comes after me. I, on the other hand opened up after a long bend when he was no longer in site and thinking that I was safe! He was never physically behind me to tell how fast I was going! After catching up, he ended up giving me a lot of hard time with three other patrol cars, and cite me for not have front and back license plates. The first time I got caught the CHP was so nervous he looked like he is going to throw up! He ended up writing me for 95+ and unsafe lane changing, I was going over 150MPH toying with an M5…

·
Registered
895 Posts
Bart, cool story. So did you have fun up here in Northern California?

Ah yeah, does sound like fun indeed, 4i2fly! :)

Stradale, gas in Malaysia is really cheap then! :eek:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts