Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
people have said to me that the f430 is a better car than the 911 turbo. i own both those cars and i assure you the 911 is the better car. post on your thoughts.

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
What is it that makes the 911 better? I have only driven a 911 Carrera so it isn't a fair comparison. I have been behind the wheel of an F430 and would say that Ferrari has taken a lot of the character out of an exotic much like Porsche has.

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
people have said to me that the f430 is a better car than the 911 turbo. i own both those cars and i assure you the 911 is the better car. post on your thoughts.
Better is a rather broad arbitrary statement. I do not own an F430 but do have experience with a few products of Maranello. Also which 911 Turbo - 930, 3.3, 3.6. 993, 996 etc ???

I have both a Ferrari twin turbo (F40) and a Porsche twin turbo (911 - 993 Turbo). In terms of:

reliability - I would rate them as equal
best car to take to the supermarket - the Porsche
sound system - Porsche ;)
driving daily - the Porsche
crossing continents - probably the F40 (although the 911 is more comfortable)
on the track - not even close, F40
as eye candy - F40
soiling a passengers underwear - F40

and interestingly enough, lots of people ask for rides in the F40, no one ever has asked to go out in the Porsche.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
What is better? It is just an opinion, surely.

Better reliability, better performance, better handling, better build quality, better overall driving experience, better sound. All of this is irrellevant to me, the reason I bought a Ferrari was because I wanted a better feeling than what I'd get if I sat in a Porsche, and I bet most owners of Italian cars feel the same. We all know what their potential pitfalls are, but we still love them and buy them. For me, German cars have no soul, yes they are very functional and will probably clock up 200K miles, great for every day use, but not what you want when you want to feel special.
The general view is that Porsches are better every day cars and are more reliable than Ferrari's, the engine's are bullet proof ...etc. I'm sure you've all heard these things a million times.
A colleague of mine is a total Porsche nut, he has 3 different models, 964 RS, 996 GT3 and a 944. I sometimes take my F to work and he sometimes takes one of his Porsches. A few weeks ago I had to help him push his 964 back into the car park because it had broken down. My F has never let me down, so I guess that disproves that theory.
I do like Porsches and have often thought about buying a Carrera 4 as an every day car, but I don't don't get excited about Porsche the way that I get excited when I see a Ferrari.

How many kids say look a Porsche? They are too common. My 18 yr old 328 turns far more heads than a brand new 997 would.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The porsche is built better, more reliable, more comfortable. i've driven porsches with 230 000 km on them and they still drive like new, i would hate to know how good a ferrari is after covering 150 000 miles. the best cars in the world are german. the ferrari looks better and gets you more girls. oh yeah they do sound better too. i'm on my second ferrari a 360 spider and i love driving it just cause everyone says ''oh my god look at that car'' everyone wants to be me and i get plenty of girls. the last porsche i had was a carrera 4S it was carved from stone and is alot more stable on the highway compared to the ferrari. i feel that the ferrari is alot more twitchy over 110 mph and that goes for my other ferrari too the f355 spider. before everyone jumps down my throat believe me i'm not a biased porsche fan i think the best cars in the world are built by mercedes benz. for my own personal driving enjoyment it has to be an SL55 mercedes, lots of power and comfort, oh yeah its a convertible too.

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
the last porsche i had was a carrera 4S it was carved from stone and is alot more stable on the highway compared to the ferrari. i feel that the ferrari is alot more twitchy over 110 mph and that goes for my other ferrari too the f355 spider. .
I have actually had the exact opposite experience having driven both several Ferraris (F40, 550, F355, 456 GT) and a pair of Porsches (993 C4, 993 Turbo)on the Autobahn all at over 230 kph. All the Ferraris felt very planted where as the Porsches were more nervous (and you also have a much greater sensation of speed). The only Ferrari that felt a bit light was the F355 but I attributed this more to the overly assisted power steering.

·
Registered
4 Posts
International critics put de F430 above the 997 Turbo

The Porsche is a great car, but de F430 is Mars

Glad to see you own both! that's Perfect

·
Registered
218 Posts
There is new F430 in my town, and (2 years old) 996 as well.

The Ferrari, I must trust the critics they tested it. The best suspenion and steering out there. Everybody is turning heads.
The Porsche, the guy just sold it, and bought Cayen. No heads turning again.

I dont know, but I think never a ferrari was so well built like the F430, and it never will.Its an expression of 5 years continuing F1 titles.
...unfortinatelly, its for the track.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
I dont know, but I think never a ferrari was so well built like the F430, and it never will.Its an expression of 5 years continuing F1 titles.
...unfortinatelly, its for the track.
strongly disagree!

the F40 is for the track, the F50 is for the track, the 288 GTO is for the track

the F430 may be a great toy for the track, but it is a cruiser, I think it is one of the most civilized Ferraris of all times

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
really, boxer?

well, considering your experience with Ferrari cars, I should believe it, but I do have the impression that the 288 GTO is as raw as the F40

after all, it was the project of a race car for FIA GT, wasn't it?

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
well, I guess my mistake was to compare the interior of the GTO to the interior of posterior Ferraris, like the F355

I agree, the interior of the GTO is much more like the 348 then the F40

but what about the driving experience?

·
Registered
14 Posts
F430 better than Porsche 911

Personally from down under Aus land the Ferrari wins hands down anytime. Porsche here is a very common car to see on the road. Heck!! they all look the same anyway from the old 911's to the new one's.

On the other hand when you see a Ferrari once in a while on the road then the heads turn and the 'wow' factor sets in, and the photo taking etc etc.

I recently went to a track day with my 355 and there were quite a few porsches, subaru, BMW and some other local makes of car(Ford, GMH).
But which car did everyone gather around for a look(except the Porsche drivers, they were jealous)??
THE F355!!!!!!!!!!!!
So my opinion is that i would prefer the 430 or any other Ferrari over the Porsche anytime especially in Australia.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Wow! Is this even a discussion?

Porsche makes great cars, I've owned several of them. Like Corvette, Toyota, Honda and other "No Soul, Low Soul" cars, they are all great cars and will alway get you to from Point A to Point B, Did you remember the drive? Yes I much prefer the Porsche!

I am now in the Market for my 1st Ferrari, "every" Ferrari, Lotus, Lamborghini, Aston Martin, Maserati and most Alfas are better choices for a driving experience in my book. The f430 is top 5 all-time cars in every make in my book.
Mark

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
The F430 is a great car but it has almost become a "No soul, low soul" car as you put it. Check out the F430 video I posted, you'll notice the car has all sorts of room and is very comfortable. To be honest, it feels like an amazing sports car, but it just didn't feel like an exotic sports car.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The F430 is a great car but it has almost become a "No soul, low soul" car as you put it. Check out the F430 video I posted, you'll notice the car has all sorts of room and is very comfortable. To be honest, it feels like an amazing sports car, but it just didn't feel like an exotic sports car.

hm.. if you say that, you should agree that 599's, murci's, G's, Vanquish's are not Exotic b/ of their interior, shouldn't you?

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
hm.. if you say that, you should agree that 599's, murci's, G's, Vanquish's are not Exotic b/ of their interior, shouldn't you?
Good point. It (F430) is still an exotic, just very refined like a Porsche.

What I am trying to express is hard to put in words. I can say from experience sitting in a Murcielago you feel like your in an exotic. You wouldn't want to drive it daily but you would the F430.

Visibility in the Murcielago: zero, the rear window is about 10 inches tall and then you are looking through slats over the engine. The seats are awkward and it is just bloody uncomfortable after about an hour or more. I'll post a video I made next week of the car.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Good point. It (F430) is still an exotic, just very refined like a Porsche.

What I am trying to express is hard to put in words. I can say from experience sitting in a Murcielago you feel like your in an exotic. You wouldn't want to drive it daily but you would the F430.

Visibility in the Murcielago: zero, the rear window is about 10 inches tall and then you are looking through slats over the engine. The seats are awkward and it is just bloody uncomfortable after about an hour or more. I'll post a video I made next week of the car.
=)

I understand...

That's just different to me b/ I live in Brazil.... What that suppose to mean? - you might be asking yourself..

I mean that the F430 cost US$ +400k here in São Paulo, Brazil. Here it's def/ exotic. I would not drive a US$ +400k every day, even if had the interior of a Bentley...

however, for those of you who are used to live amoung people that drive these cars.. I perfectly understand...

(and I agree.. Murci's are so damn hot!)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts