Ferrari Life Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. Yesterday I picked up my TR from my mechanic after having a leaky valve cover replacement. On the way home I stopped at a gas station to fill up, when I tried to restart the car nothing happened when I turned the key. No click, no turnover, no nothing. The dash lights/radio came on so the car wasn't dead. I popped the hood, wiggled the wire on the solenoid, tapped it a couple times and the car started right up.

Today I started the car probably about 10 times. Nine times it started up just fine but one time when I turned the key nothing happened. I waited about 10 seconds, tried again and the car started right up but I noticed the battery light stayed on for probably around five seconds before it went off.

Does this sound like the battery might be going bad? The car did sit for roughly a month while waiting on my appointment and the repair. If it’s not the battery, I’m wondering if my mechanic inadvertently loosened something. It wasn’t doing this before I took it in.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Battery is fine. You have an Ign. Sw., relay or starter problem. Get a 12v test light and get to work. Don't use a power probe tester for this.
I had the same issue on my 85 TR, it was a bad starter solenoid. Bad news is the starter and solenoid are a mated unit, I had my indie Mech rebuild it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
A Power probe doesn't give any indication of Amps. A test light draws at least a 1/4 amp. A power probe is sort of an easy voltmeter that doesn't prove any amp strength. Can give you false positives on that starter system that will have you chasing your tail. I use a custom halogen bulb sometimes on Amp dependent systems like that. FWIW, the relay needs 1-2A, the solenoid needs 12-17A and the starter draws140-170A.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts