Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I bought a 1995 456. Took it to the local (only) authorized dealer for a check up. They want $8,500 for a standard 30K service (nothing else).

This doesn't seem normal. I expected $4500.

Does anyone have thoughts?

Anyone have the by the book list for a 30K service of a 456?

Thank you

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, US dealer and USD prices

I posted on another ferrari chat site, and the consensus seems to be that at $8500, the cost is high.

Anyone know a good independant in Portland?

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
If you are willing to drive three hours you could consider Ferrari of Washington in Seattle. I assume that you are talking about Ron Tonkin wanting to charge $8,500. It doesn't hurt to call Ferrari of Washington to see how much they charge.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I recently did my 30k service and went through the same thing, just bought the car 8 months ago and wanted to make everything right and reliable. the inital service was as expected pricewise(4500) from Bradan, but a p/s pump and hose leaking timing cover bearing and smalllist of other things that where unforseen quickly runup the bill. correcting these problems up front will hopefully lead to many miles of trouble free driving and give me a secure feeling if I choose to go on a 200 mile ride or over night trip :steeringwheel:. I would ask for a detailed breakdown on the bill,there may be other things not included in the regular service that a good tech knows to look for due to past experence on failures and comon problems that FNA has not taken any credit for.Theres has been recent posts that include dampers cracking ,new timing belt bearing failures and so on. Each model seams to have its own different weak link thats unknown until 10 people post it here to share with the rest of us.

·
Premium Member
11,886 Posts
I assume they are doing the cambelts as part of the service, but that is still way too high. Go to ferraridatabase.com and you can download a 456 owners manual and workshop manual for free. The maintenance schedule, like Boxer said, is in both.

If you have service records and the cambelts have been done recently, the interval is 3-5 years, depending on whether the tensioner bracket has been updated. Without a cambelt change, the price should drop like a rock.

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
I would find a local independent shop.

No need to pay a franchise dealer that has to incur far more costs to operate vs an independent.

It seems this is the dealers way of saying - we can service you but we really prefer not to.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I would find a local independent shop.

No need to pay a franchise dealer that has to incur far more costs to operate vs an independent.

It seems this is the dealers way of saying - we can service you but we really prefer not to.
I agree with Doug, that price is way too high IMO.

even if you have to ship your car to an independent (maybe like $800-1000) still way cheaper than $8500.

maybe if you post in the NorthWest Section, someone in Portland will know of a good independent to refer you to?

good luck

·
Registered
968 Posts
I'm not sure what their "standard" service is, but in the FWIW department, I quoted $4600 for a 5-year service on a 550M which includes (at minimum):

Includes:
Replace spark plugs
Replace timing belts
Replace timing tensioners
Clean throttle bodies and MAF sensors
Re-torque intake manifolds
Replace AC belt
Replace PS belt
Replace air filters (2)
Replace fuel filters
Oil and filter service
Drain and refill cooling system
Inspect water pump-Minimum extra charge if seal seepage evident
Drain and refill transaxle and cooler
Remove and clean transaxle filter
Flush and bleed brake and clutch hydraulics
Inspect brakes
Inspect suspension bushings
Set tire pressures
Torque lug bolts

Fluids:

Red Line 5w-40
BMW Antifreeze
Red Line water wetter
ATE Amber
Royal Purple Maxgear 75w-98

Will all OE Ferrari parts, except for genuine SKF tensioner bearings. (No reproduction junk...)
Keep in mind that the 456 would require a valve clearance check/possible adjustment, whereas the the 550 is hydraulic.

David

·
Registered
979 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,886 Posts
Wonder how much he paid? Undoubtedly due for another one by now.

Ron zinged us.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Brian, you are great! LOL

·
Premium Member
11,886 Posts
Brian- I doubt it. Never seem to remember to check the date.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Still an interesting topic, though. I was quoted £2,000 for a combined annual and cambelts service, which will be due this autumn (Carrs in Exeter, my local Ferrari agent). Seems fair to me.

·
Premium Member
11,886 Posts
John- Labor rates seem to be a lot less expensive in the UK. That sounds like a lock and swap to me.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Still an interesting topic, though. I was quoted £2,000 for a combined annual and cambelts service, which will be due this autumn (Carrs in Exeter, my local Ferrari agent). Seems fair to me.

Very big difference between a major service and fluids with belts. And at 2000 pounds?

I'd be laughing all the way to the bank.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts