Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, we've disconnected the battery and it's in storage. I know it's better when she's running frequently but what the hell else could I do? Any worries I should have? Thanks much.

Forza,

Dane

·
Registered
457 Posts
It should be alright. Maybe your wife could just roll it a foot or so back and forth each week until you get home.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL. Well, she's away as well so the car must sit. Thanks for the reply.

Forza,

Dane

·
Registered
286 Posts
Sitting for one month

Dane, Don't worry about it. When you come home it probably will be a bit stubborn when you start it. That's her way of saying "You've neglected me." Let her warm up good and then take her out for a cruise. Don't be bashful, redline her a couple of times. She will be then calm down and all will be forgiven. Magoo

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Magoo,

I received a letter in the mail today. It read, "drive the car or the car the gets it..." It reeked of gas and oil. You don't think?? Nahhh.

Thanks for the reply.

Forza,

Dane

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Dane,
I let all my cars sit for 3 weeks at a time with no problems. Although disconnecting the battery is a good idea to reduce the risk of fire. I'm gonna start doing that. A buddy of mine lost his Corvette and his garage due to an electrical short under the hood.

If I am going to have any of my engine driven "things" sit for more than 3 months (basically the winter toys sit in the summer and the summer toys sit in the winter) I will fill the tank full of fuel and add some fuel stabilizer to prevent condensation, fuel degredation and gumming, I will run the engine and spray fogging oil down the carbs until I get a good smoke cloud or it dies. Then pull the spark plugs, fog the cylinders and spin the engine over with the plugs out and reinstall them. Then give the exterior metal a light coat of fogging oil, pull the battery and cover it up. Let 'er sit.
Putting it back in service consists of putting the battery back in and starting it up.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pete,

Superb advice. What type of preservative do you add with the fuel? I know Prist is good for Jet Fuel :) . Thank you very much for the detailed description. I do appreciate it. Do you have your GTS posted in the gallery? I'll take a look to see. Thanks again.

Forza,

Dane

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Dane,
The fuel stabilizer I use is called "Sta-Bil" and you should be able to get it at almost any auto parts store. I have had great luck with it. I've never had an engine not fire right up after spending the winter in an unheated garage. (provided it was running when I put it up)

I don't have the GTS posted in the Garage yet, Andrew said he's having a problem with the attachments. I'll try later. Actually, you've already seen all the pics I am going to post.

You get the email I sent you with the part numbers and info on the manuals?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pete,

Duh! I just put two and two together and yes, I got four... :green: I didn't realize it was you :oops:

Yes, I did get the e-mail and really appreciate the information. I certainly don't think I'm going to have problems with the cold since it's quite hot in VA and NC...Thanks again.

Forza,

Dane

·
Registered
36 Posts
Sitting for a month is no big problem. I let one of my cars sit that long all the time and have never had a problem. I don't even take the battery out.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ed,

Thanks very much. I just must be a new and paranoid owner... :)

Forza,

Dane

1 - 12 of 12 Posts