Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up the Jan '09 Motor Trend,,,,

Can't wait to see what they say about both cars. On a side note, if you want this copy after I read it for a keepsake or can't get this issue of Motor Trend, I'll mail it to ya. Wade

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Very cool, it should be interesting to see how they stack up.

Chris

·
Registered
3,874 Posts

·
Registered
6,209 Posts
TopSpeed did a shootout on this and 599 came in 2nd. The ZR1 is a very interesting car...LOT of bang for the buck....wouldn't mind having one, but

would take the 599 in a heartbeat.

Top Speed Shootout! - ZR1 vs GT-R vs GT2 vs 599
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEP3ew1MPXA

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Italian cars are works of art that have a soul.

American cars are just mass produced steel.

No comparison.

How many people turn to look with interest at a Corvette?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gcalo: I hear what you are saying. However, you gotta respect the history of both cars and where they've com from. Your other comment is definitely true though. I might take a second look at a 'Vette, but a Ferrari,,,,,,,,gets a stare! Haaaaaa

If money were no issue,,,,,,,,,I'd get both just because! That's AFTER I bought my 430.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Of all the expensive cars I have owned (and it numbers many) I was never attracted to Corvettes.

The Corvette's history is of no relevance to me. It's the car itself and how it came to be. I spent a whole day with Zora Duntov, and you'd think from that it would have stimulated my interest. Nada! Sorry.

GM does nothing for me because for them it's only $'s and volume that matters.

Ferrari always has offered me what I always want in cars backed by the love of the process with their incredible history.

Corvettes are ok for those who have the interest.

They just don't interest me and never have.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
The ZR1 is most definitely not a normal Corvette, although it looks very much similar. I really do not believe a Corvette should exceed $100,000. The Corvette does not have the apeal of artwork like Ferraris by any means. Unfortunately I see many Corvettes being that I live in Detroit....takes the excitement away. I have seen 4 different ZR1s driving around town, which do sound spectacular when they give it a little gas.

Bottom line: in the price range of the ZR1 would most closely be the 360 Modena, which I would snatch up in a heartbeat instead of the ZR1. The performance of the car doesn't grasp me altogether, otherwise I would like the Veyron, but I do not like the Veyron at all.

Chris

·
Registered
532 Posts
The ZR1 is most definitely not a normal Corvette, although it looks very much similar. I really do not believe a Corvette should exceed $100,000. The Corvette does not have the apeal of artwork like Ferraris by any means. Unfortunately I see many Corvettes being that I live in Detroit....takes the excitement away. I have seen 4 different ZR1s driving around town, which do sound spectacular when they give it a little gas.

Bottom line: in the price range of the ZR1 would most closely be the 360 Modena, which I would snatch up in a heartbeat instead of the ZR1. The performance of the car doesn't grasp me altogether, otherwise I would like the Veyron, but I do not like the Veyron at all.

Chris

you liking the sound is opinion though, i honestly cant stand american cars, they soundlike shitty harleys imo that is. i agree with the whole performance thing your saying the veyron is fast as crap, but just like you i think it is as ugly as a bulls butt, i bet the handling is crap, and i hate the low growl not very breathtaking. i dont know we could sit here arguing on FL forever so im just going to shutup haha but toward you chris chevy cobalts have my respect okay?:thumbsup:

also agree completely with gcalo, i just have the same feelings

·
Registered
3,874 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Whew...I was worried someone might not like the Cobalt. hahaha:laugh:

Chris
I think the Cobalt has even more bang for the buck than the 'Vette. :thumbsup:
You know how many Cobalts you can buy for the price of one Corvette?

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
I think the Cobalt has even more bang for the buck than the 'Vette. :thumbsup:
You know how many Cobalts you can buy for the price of one Corvette?
Yes, very true. Well mine was 19k so 2-3 depending on the options on the vette. Now a Cobalt SS/TC you could get 2 of that is 260 HP/car. 520 HP for the price of a 430 HP vette....hmm I think your on to something Pete!

Chris

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
You know they do these comparison every single year with Corvette or some other North American car and every year it's the same thing, the only one who cares that the American car goes faster or has more bang for the buck is the poor schmuck who buys one.

I too like the Cobalt...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
You know they do these comparison every single year with Corvette or some other North American car and every year it's the same thing, the only one who cares that the American car goes faster or has more bang for the buck is the poor schmuck who buys one.

I too like the Cobalt...:thumbsup:
That is true, its always the Corvette against the F430, the 911, or something of that nature. If I had the money I would be getting the F430 or the 911, not the Vette. I would however buy a Vette as a everyday driver and a F355 or 360 as a secondary car.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:3 people have given me the thumbs up on the Cobalt. Yea:happy2:

Chris

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:3 people have given me the thumbs up on the Cobalt. Yea:happy2:

Chris
Dude, your Cobalt is way cooler than anyone else's on this site!

Ferraris are just too common here. Seems like everyone has an F40 or something. Very few can put down "Chevy Cobalt" in their signature. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
218 Posts
Little prejudiced are we ;-)
First of all let me introduce myself, I am a car enthusiast, I love all cars so I think of myself as not biased.

lets get into discussion shall we:

I was never attracted to Corvettes.
Taste. I love the look of the Corvette C1,C2,C3,C6. I also love the look of the 430 and Enzo. I also like how a thousand other cars look.

The Corvette's history is of no relevance to me
But it matters to you when its Ferrari heritage?
This car has half a century old history, that means everything. When you say 'I have a Ferrari', the guy asks you 'what model', when you say 'I have a Corvette' there is no confusion. There is only one Corvette and its the oldest sports/supercar in the world.

It's the car itself and how it came to be
This contradicts with the previous statement. How a car came means it has a history.

GM does nothing for me because for them it's only $'s and volume that matters.
I totally disagree. GM gives these Corvettes for free. A Corvette with same performance of a Ferrari costs 3-5 times less. That is TIMES, not percent. The Ferrari maintance will eat you alive. Tens of thousands euros per service is unexceptable. The Ferraris are very fragile and prone to breakdowns, so there is no way you are going to evade the service. The Corvette is on the other hand very simple and reliable, it rarely breaks down and maintance costs cents. A rebuild LS2 344hp engine for Corvette costs only 1500$... do you want me to continue or do you realise that the Corvette is not made for profits. They are pure sports car, that most people can afford and actually drive these cars. And when the have to race they will be as just as good as a Ferrari. Not to mention it will beat the Ferrari in many occasion. This idea of the Corvette is why I like these cars. It is the poorman's supercar. It does everything a supercar does, but it costs 5 times less.

I really do not believe a Corvette should exceed $100,000.
you don't believe because you'v always known that this car comes cheap. When the new Ferrari premiers you know it will cost around 200k. If GM wants they can decide to raise the price of the Corvette once so often and in 25 years they can be priced 15% off of the Ferrari price. I don't think that that was their attention. They have not been raising the price for more than 50 years, they want to sell this car to the people. I honestly hope they will not change this view. The moment this car become expensive I will not like it.

The Corvette does not have the apeal of artwork like Ferraris by any means.
I think it is very beautiful, and it is an icon. Very recognizable, you cannot mix it with any other.

Unfortunately I see many Corvettes being that I live in Detroit....takes the excitement away.
Thats true, I see 2 Ferraris and a Lambo in my town, but no Corvette. So for me it is more exciting when I see a Corvette.

i bet the handling is crap,
You bet? The ZR1 laps the Ring as fast as Enzo.

and i hate the low growl not very breathtaking.
Both the growl of the GM big V8 and the roar of the Italian stallion are fantastic. Porsche GT sound even better...

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Good post Vectra. Good to get the Macedonian veiwpoint. Come to think of it, I see Ferraris and Lambos in Singapore all the time but I've never seen a 'Vette. I'm sure a ZR1 over there would be a car the Singaporeans drool over.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wow,,,didn't mean to start an argument. Haaaaaa.

Vectra: You took the words right out of my keyboard! Great post.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
you don't believe because you'v always known that this car comes cheap. When the new Ferrari premiers you know it will cost around 200k. If GM wants they can decide to raise the price of the Corvette once so often and in 25 years they can be priced 15% off of the Ferrari price. I don't think that that was their attention. They have not been raising the price for more than 50 years, they want to sell this car to the people. I honestly hope they will not change this view. The moment this car become expensive I will not like it.

Thats true, I see 2 Ferraris and a Lambo in my town, but no Corvette. So for me it is more exciting when I see a Corvette.

You bet? The ZR1 laps the Ring as fast as Enzo.

Both the growl of the GM big V8 and the roar of the Italian stallion are fantastic. Porsche GT sound even better...
Yes, the Corvette is the average man's goal, and I don't think it should cost over $100k The Corvette has never been about that. The Z06 in my opinion is the best bang for the buck. $80< and it has over 500 hp. Absolutely amazing machine.

I do not however see many Z06s near me, and they are amazing when I see them. I do double take :)

The ZR1 has way better performance than the Enzo on the Ring. It was much faster, the only car faster I believe is the Dodge Viper ACR. (I think that was unofficial)

I absolutely love the sound of the vette :D-It brings a smile to my face every time!

Chris

1 - 20 of 56 Posts