Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FYI, Ferrari has just announced:

With the release of the 599 GTB Ferrari is presenting its most powerful V12-engined production car of all time.

Amedeo Felisa, Ferrari’s Vice General Manager, officially announced the new model in occasion of the opening of the Detroit Motor Show on the 9th of January.

The new car is a concentration of Ferrari’s most innovative and technologically advanced engineering solutions applied to a mid-front engined two-seater coupé. The result is a new benchmark for performance, driver involvement and design.

The Ferrari 599 GTB boasts class-leading power thanks to its 5,999cc V12 - derived directly from the Enzo Ferrari supercar – which produces no less than 620hp at 7,600 rpm for a weight/power ratio of just 2.6 kg per horsepower.

Ferrari has adopted the latest evolution in its tried and tested all-aluminium construction technology for the body and chassis.

The unmistakable Pininfarina design gives the Ferrari 599 GTB aggressive yet elegant lines which are perfectly integrated with the advanced aerodynamic solutions adopted to reach the performance figures attainable.

This new model is the symbol of Ferrari’s production – the V12 berlinetta – and represents the latest interpretation of a theme that has seen such classics as the 250 GT, the 275 GTB, and the 365 GTB4.

The Ferrari 599 GTB replaces the last in that great line of berlinettas, the 575M Maranello, of which – together with the 550 Maranello introduced in 1996 - no fewer than 5,700 have been produced, a record for this type of model for the Prancing Horse.

The new car will be officially unveiled on the 28th of February 2006 at the Geneva Motor Show.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Woooow!

What a car! Those specs are just crazy. 620bhp in a roadcar?? Is the 599 GTB a suicide tool or what? Honestly, Ferrari's cars are just getting more powerful for every new generation, but it's starting to get quite pathetic now. 620bhp is just a number, a compensation for a short penis, or something to brag about: "My M5 got 507bhp, but i only use to go shopping" - "Oh, really, my 599 GTB got 620bhp. More than you haha. But i only use it for picking up the kids from school". When will this bhp-battle between the car makers stop? We want style, grace, handling and passion. Not more bhp than we will ever use. Rubbish!

BTW. It looks like shit.

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
Hey Hazte, don't hold back, let us know what you think. :lol:
Know what you mean about bhp, sometimes you can have too much - its better than not enough though.
I'll reserve judgement on the looks when I see it in the flesh.
I thought the 612 scaglietti looked weird until I saw it for real. 8)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Is it just me, or does the back end look a bit like the Nissan 350Z, on the 2nd pic?
But, yeah i'll make up my mind, when i see it for real :)

And controversial name btw...

·
Registered
509 Posts
Yeah it does look like the rear of the 350z, that was one of the first things I noticed about it.

I (like you guys) didnt really care for the scaglietti until I saw it in person, then I thought it beautiful when I had seen it. I think I like this one already because of its similarities to the scaglietti, but I do still need to see it in person.

I dont know what the 'controversy' over the name is but Im getting confused.

I thought the numbers of cars that are preceeded by an F indicate the overall volume in centiLiters of the engine (ie the F430 is 430 centiliters, or 4.3 liters) ... then the cars bare and not preceeded by the F indicated the volume per cylinder in mililiters (ie the 250 gto, 250x12= 3 liter engine) ... so whats the deal ... am I just dreaming or did they change something and I missed the memo ...

·
Registered
218 Posts

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
It looks like a fine car. My 550 is still better looking but it is so 20th century.

Regarding the horsepower, mine has too much for me to handle. Another 50 to 75 bhp is meaningless to me.

I guess I am just an old fart.

8)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Dour sig says "Never drive less than 12 cylenders" - And you can't even handle it :green: :wink:

But i think it will be easyer with this car, because it's mid-engined... The 550 isn't - Or is it? Naah ;)

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
FunkyJunc said:
I thought the numbers of cars that are preceeded by an F indicate the overall volume in centiLiters of the engine (ie the F430 is 430 centiliters, or 4.3 liters) ... then the cars bare and not preceeded by the F indicated the volume per cylinder in mililiters (ie the 250 gto, 250x12= 3 liter engine) ... so whats the deal ... am I just dreaming or did they change something and I missed the memo ...
typenames are always confusing in the ferrari world... the have an idea for 2-3 types, than they change the idea about the naming. Very bloody annoying :p

·
Registered
509 Posts
Dr. Bob said:
typenames are always confusing in the ferrari world... the have an idea for 2-3 types, than they change the idea about the naming. Very bloody annoying :p
I thought I was goin nuts ... it is very annoying 8)

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Looks like a full sized "HotWheels" product.

Is a car with 1000hp twice as good as one with 500, which is then twice a car with only 250hp?

Where does it end? :-?

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Power is nothing without control ;) You need to bring the power to the ground, if you can not do that the power is useless. I suppose Ferrari knows how to build the chassis and transmission to transform the power into movement.
Still however, at some point more power will be useless because it will only be used for speeds which are not usable on normal roads. I know, you won't drive 320 km/h with your F50, but you can accellerate to let's say 200/250 km/h very easily. Most people will never drive faster. What becomes more important is torque I think.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I agree, at some point the power is more of a marketing ploy. At some point more power just isn't useful in the real world. I think the problem is that max real world power is about 500hp (of course you can go the Lambo route and do 4wd to get some more power to the ground). Today, there are so many cars with 500hp that Ferrari must feel obligated to put out 600hp to justify their supercar status. In the end I think it is getting to be a numbers game. I'd rather have Ferrari make a 500hp car with killer looks that weighs 500 lbs less than a Z06.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yeah, I don't really know what I think about the styling... :-? Can't really say I'm a fan of it from the pictures, but you never know until you see it in real life.

600hp is fine with me. In my mind, Ferrari does need to keep their numbers just above what else is out there in order to maintain part of the "mysique" and exlusivity. If you can buy a 500 hp Corvette for $60,000 US, Ferrari really should put out a little more to "justify" the extra $150,000. :D Not that they really need to justify it, but it does help maintain the brand.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Horsepower isn't impressive to me, anymore. So many cars have 400-500whp stock that it is just a number. Also, I can go out and find a
400-500whp car every weekend, owned by a dentist who has never driven any faster than the speed limit. As impressive as a car is, it can only be as impressive as it's driver. I love to hear people like Bart brag about their car (which he has the right to do), mainly because he does drive it! I do not endorse street racing, but a supercar to do your shopping in is ridiculous. I cannot buy a Ferrari, which may be the reason for my attitude, but if I could I'd definately have fun.

As for this particular car, I'm not liking the styling. Supernova: I completely agree.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I'm disappointed with the design. Surely Ferrari can do better. Haven't they learned from the failure of the 612 Scaglietti?

·
Registered
6 Posts
599 styling and HP

Have read the posts with interest.

As with any new Ferrari you do have to get used to it every time again.
When seeing the actual car it always looks much better.
I happen to like and love the F-430 very much by now, but when the first pictures got released i just kept staring some time.. i thought it a bit overstyled compared to the 360. ( i just love the 360 )
Same feelings with the 599 versus 575 for me.
i think Ferrari doesn't need flares and winges and scoopes to get agressive or 'modern'.

As for horsepower, i have been into motorcycle racing for some time and one thing you learn pretty quick is that horsepower alone does not get you around faster instantly.
The weight is not just as important, it is most important.
You realise that the moment a 250 cc two stroke racer passes you by in the corners even when having 140 HP on tap on a 1 litre engine.

Compared to the very latest superbikes the power to weight ratio of any car is just mediocre. but let's stick to the topic.
Superbikes do get slimmer as for weight every year.
The most recent models have a 190 Hp with a dryweight of about 170 kilos
(..)

The tendency in supercars is to get indeed more horsepower.
but we also see the dry weight going up with every model every year!
And the factory does throw in titanium and all magnesium wheels and whathaveyougot space age F1 technology...
I think all the safety features and all the electronic accessories get more in numbers and even more complicated too.
So we pay an enormous extra sum of money the buy say 360CS or next year the F-430CS on a diet program.

If the factory could make an F-40 to weigh in 1200 kilos in 1984, they must be capable to come up with a car weighing even less by now.
What was the actual weight of the F-40 anyway ? i've seen figures ranging from 1100 to 1250 kilo's dry weight.

Any F-40 owner put it on a scale ?

with passion ;-)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
What a car! Those specs are just crazy. 620bhp in a roadcar?? Is the 599 GTB a suicide tool or what? Honestly, Ferrari's cars are just getting more powerful for every new generation, but it's starting to get quite pathetic now. 620bhp is just a number, a compensation for a short penis, or something to brag about: "My M5 got 507bhp, but i only use to go shopping" - "Oh, really, my 599 GTB got 620bhp. More than you haha. But i only use it for picking up the kids from school". When will this bhp-battle between the car makers stop? We want style, grace, handling and passion. Not more bhp than we will ever use. Rubbish!

BTW. It looks like shit.
ya..... there is tons of truth to this.... how many people will ever actually use this car? A few. I would rather have a SWB.

I would LOVE to build a car like the SWB, maybe a barchetta, with a 2 or 3 liter V12, birdcage chassis.... something the real drivers of the world would appreciate and love to drive. Nothing hugely over the top, fast but not insane. Something super light with a huge smiles factor (Lotus Super 7 anyone).
I think people would really enjoy that. Like a modern day Siata.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I like the opinions in this thread. hazte had a great post.

It does seem now like Ferrari is trying to be over the top and outrageous -- but why? When I see a 550 or 575, it looks like a real gentlemen's Ferrari. When I see a 355 or 360, I see a beast -- even without hundreds of weird features. I don't know what I'll think when I see one of these. Ferrari has nothing to prove, really. Why would they feel the need to make everything so outrageous now? They have always had the best looking cars, and some of the fastest/best performers.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts