11,883 Posts
Fabio- Should have a wonderful sound.

Reactions: Fiammenghi Italia

·
Vendor
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
Hello friends,
today i went to the my friend that gave me the 599 for scanning two years ago because he have a GTO engine complete of headers, he was kindly to give me the headers because i want like to compare the external dimensions of the CAT with my CAT, now are to 3D scanning.
I will need to do a system for the RHD car and i have not the car, then if the envelope dimensions of my will be as those of GTO for sure can be install both LHD & RHD car.
Those GTO cats are very clos eto the engine, in the right side it touch the heat shield of the oil filter, and the rear external edges are a little bit polished, then i think was very close (or in touch) to the heat shields of the body.
The GTO headers are good manufactured, also if some pipes are crushed (by hydroforming) wiht the except of the connection to the CAT, this point have not a good design ...
In the last pictures my header installed on the engine.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,883 Posts
Fabio- Yours look a lot more artistic. The original ones look like a worm farm (folks grow them here for fishing).

Reactions: Fiammenghi Italia

·
Registered
66 Posts
Fabio,
Great work and I am sure I will be tempted to buy soon. Can you explain why some people use equal length headers and how this influenced your design, I am sure you have researched this,
Ron

·
Vendor
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
Fabio,
Great work and I am sure I will be tempted to buy soon. Can you explain why some people use equal length headers and how this influenced your design, I am sure you have researched this,
Ron
Hello Ron,
Thanks fo ryour appreciation.
I did the manifolds 6-1 equal length mainly for have a better sound, in second way, specially in the 575, i obtained good power gain, all without ECU's modification.
The manifold design 6-1 (as the 4-1 for the V8) make a shrill sound due to the way ho the frequency of each cylinder it add up, each pulsasion are equal spaced in the time and result is the maximum frequency can be obtained.
If you have different pipe lenghts (the the sum of the frequencies it is driven by Fourier rules), the single frequency in the merge point are not equal spaced but have diffrent phases (time) , the result is an armonic with pulse and beats where some frequency are reduced and other amplified.
As example, frollowing a picture that shown the add up of diffrent frequency.

Best Regards

Fabio

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
Fabio,
Thanks for the explanation, as a mathematician I appreciate how the Fourier summation is working. Do you mean amplitude summation at the same frequency rather than frequency summation ? Anyway looks like you have done some flow simulations on the computer. The end result is faster flow/better flow rate maybe with some scavenging effect? Yes I can hear the F1 sound in your videos, I may need to tone that down a bit for the wife and neighbors, should I keep the stock mufflers? And use the H-pipe?
Regards,
Ron

·
Registered
66 Posts
Fabio,
just studied the graphs a bit more, I guess equal length means all components are in phase and sum rather than cancel,
Ron

·
Premium Member
11,883 Posts
Ron- The whole idea is to get better scavenging with equally spaced exhaust pulses throughout the exhaust system, with the resulting partial vacuum created pulling out the exhaust products. Without equal length tubes, the exhaust pulses step on each other and reduce efficiency. Chemistry and math here.

101 - 112 of 112 Posts