Ferrari Life Forum banner
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
<Paul> AGREED, AGREED, AGREED

I would be very surprised if the glass delamination problem is related to torsional stress from driving with the top closed. Ferrari has a long history of glass delamination problems that has been present through several different glass suppliers.

I am not directly aware of why it does delaminate but can say from direct knowledge that in the case of the Testarossa back glass being prone to stress breakage it was because Ferrari went against a direct recommendation of the glass supplier in the glass specification. Ferrari insisted because the glass design improvement would have cost a few more dollars per unit and they didn't want to spend it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks 575superamerica

So the part appears to be the same strut. Can I ask if you have seen the other strut, the one marked #27 in the diagram posted earlier? I just want to confirm that there is actually two different struts albeit that they are the same size.

Teddy

·
Registered
74 Posts
I would be very surprised if the glass delamination problem is related to torsional stress from driving with the top closed. Ferrari has a long history of glass delamination problems that has been present through several different glass suppliers.

I am not directly aware of why it does delaminate but can say from direct knowledge that in the case of the Testarossa back glass being prone to stress breakage it was because Ferrari went against a direct recommendation of the glass supplier in the glass specification. Ferrari insisted because the glass design improvement would have cost a few more dollars per unit and they didn't want to spend it.
Brian. I have looked at other delaminated SA roofs and this is the only explanation I can think of. Given that we have photchromic layers and seeing how the delamination makes the roof go cloudy, but not breaking, yet mine remains absolutely perfect..... I can only put it down to the fact I never drive with the roof closed. I can also say that the body torsion is actually quite marked when the car goes over bumps. Steering wheel wiggles and so does the bum!
I can see how the roof may twist slightly when locked to the screen and how over time it forces the laminates to shift and ultimately come apart.
Happy to consider other logical reasons but cant see one at the moment.

·
Registered
12 Posts
575Superamerica

The problem is that the roof does not go up sometimes. It will start to lift but it gets to a point and then it stops and then falls back down. i am presuming that this is the point where the load is to much for it and the safety kicks in releasing the mechanism. I am thinking that this load is to great since the struts are not assisting as much as they should be.

teddy

·
Registered
74 Posts
575Superamerica

The problem is that the roof does not go up sometimes. It will start to lift but it gets to a point and then it stops and then falls back down. i am presuming that this is the point where the load is to much for it and the safety kicks in releasing the mechanism. I am thinking that this load is to great since the struts are not assisting as much as they should be.

teddy
Correct. I had this problem until I finally changed those small gas struts within the roof mechanism. Then it worked fine again.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sir Paul

Did you manage to just change the struts or did you have to replace a whole assembly? Can you tell me what struts you replaced? Was it part #27 in the schematic shown in this thread, or was it the gas struts pointed out by 575Speramerica?

Teddy

·
Premium Member
11,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Teddy- The only ones you can get separately are #27 and exchanging those has cured the problem for multiple SA owners. They do not last too long since they are carrying quite a load.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Sir Paul

Did you manage to just change the struts or did you have to replace a whole assembly? Can you tell me what struts you replaced? Was it part #27 in the schematic shown in this thread, or was it the gas struts pointed out by 575Speramerica?

Teddy
Hi Teddy

I have checked the invoices. It was indeed #27 x 2 (part 69271600). Two units costing about US$270 each in Hong Kong with Labour about US$190 to install (Total US$ 730). That was in April 2011 and the roof has been fine since.The same parts from Eurospares in UK appears to be about US$ 15 !, but there again the labour in HK is, I am guessing much cheaper.
Anyway, they found the cause, fixed it and saved buying a new roof!

PAUL

·
Premium Member
11,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
David- It is the Ricambi WSM.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just received a source for a 575M WSM that is much better than the one I have been using to post here on FLife, and is a simple PDF file. Just bought one myself. My old one had all kinds of images missing, but this one is complete and interactive. Creator wants to keep the source and the price quiet, so if you are interested, drop me a PM, swear yourself to secrecy, and I will pass you the info.

Samples below. if you have a hard time reading them, save to hard drive and expand.

Taz
Terry Phillips
hi Taz II'm interested in a workshop manual for a 2002 Ferrari 575 Maranello,
please let me know what I shoul do.
thanks

41 - 56 of 56 Posts