Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just bought a 2002 575--with new Novatech 19 inch wheels and 355 rubber on back and 255 front--pirelli.
below 80mph--the steering wheel feels like butter--then between 80 and 140--there seems to be some minor shake in my hands and i see the hood rattling--and I am certainly not comfortable--the dealer I bought this from says this is normal.

Wheel balance report shows zero problems.

Any advice?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your swift response---What might I check?

My dealer(non-factory) says his balance machine is the best--Are they all the same?

Also--is there anything else I should check and how do your hands feel on the wheel on half decent roads at 120mph?

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
Rule of wheel balancing, under 60mph, front wheel problem, over 60mph it’s the rear, your garage needs to check and inspect further. If it’s not the tires then something is loose back there but vibration in the steering wheel, 99.99% of the time it’s the tires/rims.

Another thing could be, are they directional tires ? If so, are they the right way, because they can be balanced but at high speeds they vibrate because of expansion. I would have the rear tires removed from the rims and inspected inside, could be a belt that is about to fail, or maybe it was plugged due to a flat and at high speed…well, better not to think of a blowout over 100mph…

Safety first, get it looked at and don’t take chances…

lawally said:
My dealer(non-factory) says his balance machine is the best--Are they all the same?

Also--is there anything else I should check and how do your hands feel on the wheel on half decent roads at 120mph?
Balancing machines are not all the same, some poor, some better and some very good quality but could have lots of "miles on it"

Another rule of thumb is if you feel the road in your bum/lower back you will feel it in the steering wheel if it’s only the wheel…it’s the car

~

1 - 4 of 4 Posts