Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,874 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Great post but now I really want a 550. You know how much this post of yours is going to cost me????? :)

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
I did, this is just pushing me over the edge! :)

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Great post but now I really want a 550. You know how much this post of yours is going to cost me????? :)
Well, a rough guess would be $89,500 .....
================================

The owner of 1998 Ferrari 550 Maranello s/n 111317 has just authorized a significant price reduction on this beautiful 550. Excellent paint, excellent body, great original interior, Pirelli P7 tires and unscuffed wheels. 37,099 miles. Now priced at only $89,500 or best offer.
1998 Ferrari 550 Maranello Serial Number 111317
Finished in a very attractive Tour de France Blue with tan power Daytona seats, black trim and blue carpets. This USA model 550 comes with an extensive and fully documented service history, with all mechanical work completed at the local authorized Ferrari dealership by the first two owners, who spared absolutely no expense on this 550. Comes with 39 pages of service receipts and invoices. 111317 has recently had a 30k service and new clutch. Has the owner's leather pouch, all books, warranty card, tools, the leather tool case, and all original keys. Has a clear bra, lightly tinted windows, yellow calipers, a tubi exhaust, and Premier Motorsports added recessed Fender shields, as per the factory. Comes with a Tubi system, the Stebro X pipe and the OEM center pipe. 111317 also includes a Factory car cover with bag, the optional 5-piece leather luggage with yellow carrying bags and a trickle charger. Fitted with a great sounding Pioneer XM stereo system. Excellent paint, excellent body, great original interior, Pirelli P7 tires and unscuffed wheels. 37,099 miles. Now priced at only $89,500 or best offer.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Great sound! Yet I usually wait until the "whistle" stops blowing before moving the car. (if the "whistle" is blowing, your engine --and likely the whole car-- is cold)

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
What are you guys talking about with karma on this car?? I'm kinda lost? It looks decent in that picture..
This is the very car that was featured in the "Can you afford $10.27 per mile?" article that Michael Sheehan published in FLQ #5. It's a famous article trying to shed light on 550 ownership costs but in my opinion (and quite a few (ex-) 550 owners) it seems to concern a particularly bad example. I agree that it looks very nice, but probably best to stay away.

Onno

BTW, keen to hear your dad's 550, Brandon - don't have access to YouTube in the African jungle unfortunately. 3 more weeks.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
That 550 looks really nice, and the options are awesome. The $10.27 per mile is terrifying. Again, Brandon your dads 550 sounds amazing!

Chris

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Onno,
Sorry, forgot that you do not have youtube access... I will try to send you some clips... I think I have your e-mail address around here somewhere, but if you get a chance, PM me with it, and I'll send the clips.

"whistle" blowing... I was wondering what that was... If that is indication that the car is cold..... what is it??

·
Registered
374 Posts
When you start the engine from cold, you will notice that it gets slightly revved up for a while (mine usually takes about 5 minutes at around 1200 RPM), and while it is revved up, warming itself up, you will notice a blowing kind of noise, as if there was a quiet whistle in the engine. I usually don't move the car nor rev it up and down until this blowing sound has completely stopped.

That is what I meant. I believe that if you allow these auxiliary systems to operate without interference, they will last long and do their task.

·
Registered
6,404 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
When you start the engine from cold, you will notice that it gets slightly revved up for a while (mine usually takes about 5 minutes at around 1200 RPM), and while it is revved up, warming itself up, you will notice a blowing kind of noise, as if there was a quiet whistle in the engine. I usually don't move the car nor rev it up and down until this blowing sound has completely stopped.

That is what I meant. I believe that if you allow these auxiliary systems to operate without interference, they will last long and do their task.
I do hear it in the video, my question was do you know what that noise actually is?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the clip, Brandon. As I mentioned in the e-mail, a bit more aggressive sounding than my Tubi, particularly on high revs.

Car looks and sounds great - glad everything is well now. How often do you get to go to Florida to enjoy it?

Onno
I have been in Florida 4/5 weekends recently, but only 2 of those involved actually driving the car (the others it was in the shop), however that's done for now, as I have to go back to college for the spring, so won't be back around till the summer... Hopefully dad will have all the other minor issues sorted by then!

·
Registered
374 Posts
I do hear it in the video, my question was do you know what that noise actually is?
I don't know exactly what it is, but I know what it does (help warm up the engine), and I am confident that if you don't drive until it has finished doing its thing, it will last longer without failure. I have spent a fair amount of cash on my car repairing small stuff, and it becomes annoying considering that not only you get to pay but you are deprived of your great car while they troubleshoot, and wait for parts. So one of the things I focus on is letting it warm up before driving. But maybe you can drive it outright and nothing will happen to the system, you never know.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts