Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a newby considering a low mileage 575. I would like to purchase from an authorized dealer. Beforehand, I need help with the following:

1) What are either the technical or cosmetic changes that occured between MY 2002 and 2005?

2) Is there anything to look for (or avoid!) when purchasing?

3) How about the factory's extended warranty - any thoughts?

I appreciate the assistance!!

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
Hi MDonati,

Welcome to Ferrari Forum. I hope you find the right 550/575. To answer a few questions you have:

1. The major changes in the style where in the front headlights and grill. There is actually a recent topic which has photos of these changes. I will post a link when I find it.

The biggest change was the V12 was larger in the 575: 5500 cc (550 Maranello) vs 5750cc (575 Maranello).

Getting the extended warranty is always a good idea and gives you peace of mind. I don't know if you can still get it for the earlier 550s.

Be sure to have the car checked by a mechanic if you are buying a used car from an owner.

I hope this helps, I also think the 550/575 Buyer's Guide will be of great help too.

·
Registered
194 Posts
MDonati said:
I'm a newby considering a low mileage 575. I would like to purchase from an authorized dealer. Beforehand, I need help with the following:

1) What are either the technical or cosmetic changes that occured between MY 2002 and 2005?

2) Is there anything to look for (or avoid!) when purchasing?

3) How about the factory's extended warranty - any thoughts?

I appreciate the assistance!!
Q1: I think Andrew's link will answer it.

Q2: nothing different to other sports cars/exotics. Service records, rigorous PPI if you are taking the risk to buy out of the official dealer network. Maranellos are reliable cars, but gremlins can really tarnish your ownership experience and get pretty costly.

Q3: I would not buy without 1y of warranty, gives you time to sort out the gremlins, a kind of safety net. Extending beyond is like any insurance: a significant amount of money, potentially wasted, but also very helpful in case of disaster. I chose not to extend the warranties on my cars, but it is something I could regret. Note that the decision would be a bit more clear cut if Ferrari Spa national subsidiaries were a bit more customer oriented in their treatment of warranty claims. The T&Cs of the Ferrari warranty (called Ferrari Power in Europe) leave a lot of room for interpretation. If something really bad and unlikely happened to your car, you could expect quite a bit of nitpicking. Put a Tubi muffler on ? Warranty voide. Yearly service late by 1m ? Warranty void. Problem with the stabilisation bars or engine mounts ? Not covered.
There's really no easy answer to your question.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts