Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 550 currently has Tubi exhaust on it, rear half, I am considering replacing the stock dual pipe/crossover section with a Tubi X-pipe, but I am wondering if it will be too loud. I have not experienced a 550 with a full Tubi exhaust and am concerned about the in car volume, I know that there is a big weight savings going to an X-pipe and have been told the transmission tunnel area is cooler thus lowering in cabin temps but have no info on cabin noise . Thanks

Mikel

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A stock 512BB is not too loud in my opinion and it sounds so good. This may be the way to go.

Mikel

·
Registered
22 Posts
did someone say 550 X-pipe???

Mikeltm said:
My 550 currently has Tubi exhaust on it, rear half, I am considering replacing the stock dual pipe/crossover section with a Tubi X-pipe, but I am wondering if it will be too loud. I have not experienced a 550 with a full Tubi exhaust and am concerned about the in car volume, I know that there is a big weight savings going to an X-pipe and have been told the transmission tunnel area is cooler thus lowering in cabin temps but have no info on cabin noise . Thanks

Mikel
I have a 2001 550, when I got it last year I had the Tubi exhaust put on..it sounded great at idle and at low revs, but would quite down to nothing after about 2500 rpm...so quite you couldnt hear it really at all above the engine.
Also, the tone of the sound was low and rumbly (not to be confused with the pre-2002 tubis for the 550 which were low, rumbly and resonating!)

I had always yearned for a more "ferrari like sound" however, my last Fcar was a full tubied 355 (as a reference), so I decided to put the tubi X-pipe on in addition to the tubi exhaust on the 550 this spring...I just picked it up yesterday......

...Impressions??

UNFRIEAKIN BELIEVABLE!! The sound "tonality" is now completley different!. Its now more snarly and raspy...almost like an Enzo!! The sound at start up was just orgasmic. At idle Id say its just as loud as before, but once you get the rpms up its starts to howl (as a proper Ferrari should, IMHO) Definately louder at higher RPMS, but if you close the windows, its still an acceptable level for no headaches cruising. Not too loud, but of course, this is subjective. As a comparission, the 355 at highway speeds and cruisng rpms was always a bit too much over long distances, even with the windows up...the 550 was certainly more managable than that! The sound when you wound it out was TO DIE FOR!!! wether its too loud, only you could say for sure...

To qualify, I also had performance Tubi air filters put in at the same time, this could have affected the sound as well to some degree...BMC filters are also an excellent alternative choice, as I understand it....

And, as a further bonus.....The car had picked up close to 50 hp!!..it was definatley noticeable, especially down low and from a standstill. The 50 hp figure has been documented by others with similar mods to the 550, its center pipe and air filters are apparently VERY restrictive in stock form. My butt-o-meter was impressed!!

In the end, I would say this is a MUST do Mod, form both a sound and a performance viewpoint. However, if you really like the way the loudness disappears at higher rpms with your existing tubi setup, and want an ultra quite highway cruiser...I might think twice. Especially if you prefer "rumbly" to "snarly"

Good luck...If I can figure out a way to link or send some sound files to you, Ill try and get some up for in the next few weeks!! Needless to say, I was thrilled with the change you are contemplating

·
Registered
22 Posts
Mikeltm said:
, I know that there is a big weight savings going to an X-pipe and have been told the transmission tunnel area is cooler thus lowering in cabin temps
Regarding weight savings, this is not a major concern when switching the center pipe. The rear cans yes..huge weight savings,..but negligable for the cnter pipe. The biggest pluses (as mentioned above..) were the sound and additional HP/TQ...due to the less restrictive nature of the tubi xpipe vs stock.

As for the cooler central tunnel...I cant say from personal experience...didnt get the opportunity to do a big test yesterday...but I have also heard from other that this IS the case. That will be nice as well, just another bonus!

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
Sometimes the 550 (stock) can seem a bit too quiet for my taste. The x-pipe should work out well, please let us know how you find it when you finish installing it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Goldy355,

Thank you very much for the X-pipe info, I have mine on order and can not wait until its arrival. Upon installing the rear tubi system I had high hopes of having the my favorite car actually sounding like a Ferrari, and I must admit the sound was better but still lacking. Now with the addition of the X-pipe I will finally get the correct sound, and improved performance, thanks again for the info.

Mikel

·
Registered
22 Posts
Mikeltm said:
Goldy355,

Thank you very much for the X-pipe info, I have mine on order and can not wait until its arrival. Upon installing the rear tubi system I had high hopes of having the my favorite car actually sounding like a Ferrari, and I must admit the sound was better but still lacking. Now with the addition of the X-pipe I will finally get the correct sound, and improved performance, thanks again for the info.

Mikel
I still can't get over how good it sounds now....just wait until you start it up for the first time! You'll definately crap your pants (..in a GOOD way :) ) !!
The performance increase is also definately noticeable...you will be a very happy camper indeed!

Remember to post an update here when you've had a chance to sample your newly christened baby....Id love to hear your impressions as well!

Now, the waiting game...always the hardest part of F-car ownership...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts