Ferrari Life Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time Ferrari buyer-

After getting lots of feedback and driving several cars....

I goint to buy a 550 or 575..

Let me have it..Advice...good and bad....Mark

PS. Bart I love you posts.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
I looked for a while and went with the 575M F-1 with the Fiorano handling pack. I love the car, more than expected. I would recommend you drive both the manual and F-1 versions of the 575M with the Fiorano pack as well as the 550, if at all possible. Pick the one that you like best (fitting your budget). Either way you can't go wrong. They are all great Ferraris.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
575 F1

I looked for a while and went with the 575M F-1 with the Fiorano handling pack. I love the car, more than expected. I would recommend you drive both the manual and F-1 versions of the 575M with the Fiorano pack as well as the 550, if at all possible. Pick the one that you like best (fitting your budget). Either way you can't go wrong. They are all great Ferraris.
Is the the 575 F1 noticiably quicker? Smoother/Harsher?
Mark

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Is the 575 F-1 quicker?/smoother?

My owners manual shows The F-1 being slightly faster from 0 to various mph's,kmh's and distances than the manual version. It also showes F-1 as having less fuel consumptipn. Top speed for both is of course the same @ 202mph. The F-1 shifts in the normal mode in 500ms, and in the sport mode in 100ms.Like all things different it takes getting use to or master. When you do I think its much smoother than the manual.

·
Registered
6,740 Posts
If you race or drive mostly in cruise mode, then the F-1 may be more suitable. Otherwise, my personal preference is manual. It is more fun and you get to feel that you are controlling the car not the chips inside. As for the type, my personal preference is 550, better all around. Jimmy

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Why the 550???

If you race or drive mostly in cruise mode, then the F-1 may be more suitable. Otherwise, my personal preference is manual. It is more fun and you get to feel that you are controlling the car not the chips inside. As for the type, my personal preference is 550, better all around. Jimmy
Why the 550???

I poised the question because I keep hearing that most people prefer the 550,
I have heard it is lighter to "handle"? I have heard the 575 is more powerfull but the 550 power curve is better? I need to drive both back to back.

Mark

·
Registered
6,740 Posts
Probably, I used the wrong term ..."better"...since this is so subjective. Thus, little rewording here, ...550 is more nimble, sharper handling, responsive, and "feels" quicker relative to 575. Bigger and more HP means exactly that. This does not mean more fun. Jimmy

·
Registered
6 Posts
Chrome Grill

I am also in the market for a 550. I like the headlamps better and I want a manual anyway.

But I saw a detail that I would like to have on my 550: a chrome grill. Is this an original Ferrari part or OEM ? Would a 575 grill fit a 550 ?

Attachments

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
I am also in the market for a 550. I like the headlamps better and I want a manual anyway.

But I saw a detail that I would like to have on my 550: a chrome grill. Is this an original Ferrari part or OEM ? Would a 575 grill fit a 550 ?
I'd be surprised if it fits - the grille shape was changed for the 575.

I bought a 550 this week and considered the 575 as well. Reasons for buying a 550:

1. Money. 575's are still depreciating rapidly. 550's are nearing the bottom of the curve. Also, if you want to import a car into Holland (where I live), then the tax is related to its age. As the 575 is newer and was more expensive, importing a 575 is between 20,000 and 50,000 Euros on top of a 550!

2. Prettier. I don't like the restyling on the 575, not as much as the original anyway.

3. Classic Ferrari concept: V12 in front, gated shift, great handling. A 575 with stick and FHP would also qualify for this of course.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I also got my baby last week - and it is a 575 F1 !

So why have I answered the question 550 or 575 different than most of you ? I was really looking for a 550 when I started my search. I look at some 550's but I found not a color combination that I really liked or the cars were not in really good condition. One Ferrari Dealer really insisted that I take a test drive in a 575. I felt that the engine is notably stronger, but I did not like handling. That first 575 did not have the Fiorano package, so I had to try that too, and I just loved it. Then I found a car in the right color: blu pozzi with cuoio.

Prices here in Switzerland seem to be different than in most parts of the world. In this case, they are cheaper. Comparing cars with similiar milage and condition, a 575 is 10-20 % more expensive than a 550. I think that is ok, considering that you also get stuff like navigation, tire pressure monitor and xenon lights.

And yes, the GTC grill.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
With that 575, I can understand your choice, DJM! Beautiful car! What mileage?

Very nice example, particularly the interior. This is one where the 575 is usually preferable to a 550. But I'm very happy with my 550's interior as well; it'll do for a first Ferrari :D.

Blu pozzi is a great colour, and the Cuoio contrasts nicely. I was, in fact, considering a 550 with that colour combo for sale in your country - there's a great looking one at Niki Hasler, with the 250GT stitching as well.

Enjoy your new baby and drive her safely!

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Onno

My car has 24000 km on the clock. The pozzi blue 550 has about the same milage. The secret behind the same color scheme is that both cars were configured by Niki Hasler himself. The absolute price difference between was only 12K Euro, so the 575 seemed to be the better deal for me.

Also enjoy your baby.

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
Hi Onno

My car has 24000 km on the clock. The pozzi blue 550 has about the same milage. The secret behind the same color scheme is that both cars were configured by Niki Hasler himself. The absolute price difference between was only 12K Euro, so the 575 seemed to be the better deal for me.

Also enjoy your baby.
Interesting. Seems Mr. Hasler has good taste!

12,000 euro is certainly worth the upgrade - if I could buy one for that money I would probably have as well. Since I know the price of the Hasler 550 I can deduce you paid about 50,000 - 60,000 Euro less than what your car would cost in the Netherlands, and in fact your car was about 10% cheaper than my 550 (which has the exact same mileage BTW)!!

Still, I wouldn't trade the Dutch mountains for the Swiss ones.... :D :D :D

Onno

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.