Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both cars get to 60 mph in around 4.3 sec. I'm curious how people familiar with both cars would compare their handling and personalities otherwise. As always, any comments would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
May the Porsche people drive to Las Vegas. Smoothest counts.

My 550 loves to met a Porsche.

Lunch!

Dinner is a fast car like a Lambo.

12 cylinders or walk.

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
To start, one is a big well balanced front engine rear wheel drive GT. The Ferrari 12 cylinder engine is incredibly flexible with enoromous amounts of torque. The 550s limits are very high and it handles like a much smaller car. The Porsche is more sports car than GT (although close in the latest version), has the lump of metal hanging over the rear axle and only handles well due to engineering excellence overcoming physics. The Porsche is very well made, highly reliable, and can be used every day. Emotionally you bond with the 550. The Porsche generates respect due to the quality and excellence of the engineering.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
911 S Testamonial

Thanks for your thoughts Boxer. I own the 2005 911 S, and can report that it handles and accelerates great. I've tewst driven the 550 a few times, and always walk away feeling awed by the perfect balance, wicked acceleration etc. Right now the 911 S is my daily driver, and before I trade to the 550, I want some hand's on advice from people familiar with the Maranello's habits and flaws.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Boxer said:
has the lump of metal hanging over the rear axle and only handles well due to engineering excellence overcoming physics
you just said why I admire Porsches so much

I couldn´t put it in better words!

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Diversity is welcomed

stile - alpine said:
you just said why I admire Porsches so much

I couldn´t put it in better words!
Just two different cultures, attitudes and values. Nothing wrong with either. Makes life that much more interesting. Jimmy

·
Registered
19 Posts
FerrariFan said:
Both cars get to 60 mph in around 4.3 sec. I'm curious how people familiar with both cars would compare their handling and personalities otherwise. As always, any comments would be appreciated.
What are you using the car for, a daily driver, weekend racer, track use etc etc? What I tend to find is that for P car owners, it is their main form of transport, maybe shared with a family car. F car owners often have quite a few cars by comparison.

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
All cars treated equally

stephen550 said:
What are you using the car for, a daily driver, weekend racer, track use etc etc? What I tend to find is that for P car owners, it is their main form of transport, maybe shared with a family car. F car owners often have quite a few cars by comparison.
I don't treat my cars differently. I use them evenly for commuting mainly, whther it's Porsche Turbo S Flatnose Exclusive, 356B, RUF Turbo R, Ferrari Dino, 365GTB4/BB, 365GTB4 Daytona, MB SL600 AMG, '94 AMG E60, or Abarth 750GT Zagato "double bubble". My sole family car is the AMG E60 which is a 4 seater. If you're into stats, the fastest is the RUF Turbo R which can clock 0-60 in 3.6 sec. and can deliver over 320kph (speedometer max is 360). I do not go on tracks so these numbers don't mean a whole lot for me. I simply enjoy each car's attributes, whether it's the looks, performance, etc. jIMMY

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My Porsche is my daily driver (and only car)

I'm looking for the 550 to replace my 911 S as my daily driver. (My wife wouldn't smile upon both gracing our garage). How does the Maranello fare as a daily driver? Is it too noisy, uncomfortable, unreliable etc. to make the swap worthwhile? Also, what's a reasonable price to pay for a mid-milage (e.g. 15,000 miles) car? I'd like to own the Ferrari for a while, but don't want to take too much of a beating on the other end when I choose to sell it. -FerrariFan

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Should be happy

FerrariFan said:
I'm looking for the 550 to replace my 911 S as my daily driver. (My wife wouldn't smile upon both gracing our garage). How does the Maranello fare as a daily driver? Is it too noisy, uncomfortable, unreliable etc. to make the swap worthwhile? Also, what's a reasonable price to pay for a mid-milage (e.g. 15,000 miles) car? I'd like to own the Ferrari for a while, but don't want to take too much of a beating on the other end when I choose to sell it. -FerrariFan
Your selection of 550 should do well. It is a V-12, more than enough power, smooth, quiet, comfortable, and reliable. I don't know where you reside but here in Japan, probably I can find a decent one in the range of 100K US$ plus or minus. Actually, any F cars from the F355 and on are easy to drive cars. Market value is hard to say but don't expect major increase. Jimmy

·
Registered
19 Posts
FerrariFan said:
I've never really used mine as a daily driver, at most 2-3 days a week, now only on the track. More comfortable than the Porsche and impecable manners in traffic. Luggage space is piss poor, visibility is good for a Ferrari, but still not as good as the 911. You'll also miss the rear seats. Maintenance is an issue, particularly as you'll be buying a 4+ year old car. There are a lot of niggly electronic issues with the 550. Nothing major, but still a PITA. Great cars, but still not up to Porsche quality or reliability.

·
Registered
22 Posts
stephen550 said:
There are a lot of niggly electronic issues with the 550. Nothing major, but still a PITA. Great cars, but still not up to Porsche quality or reliability.
This, in a nutshell, is the only negative thing about the 550. Those little check engine lights and slow down lights will drive you crazy...popping up seemingly at random. G-d forbid anything really major goes wrong....then it's big bucks time...sort of like having a perpetual sword of damiclese hanging over your head. The 550 is probably the most reliable F-car ever built, but when things do go wrong, they can be quite costly...buyer beware.
Other than that, the 550 is a much more exciting drive than the P-car. I always found post 996 porsches to offer a relatively "sterile" driving experience compared to F-cars (excepting the Carrera GT, of course, and maybe the GT3) As far as reliability and maintenance costs are concerned...the P-car is a much better daily driver proposition...even if you factor in the expected depreciation.

So, if its all about the "drive", then get the 550...if your gonna be driven crazy by maintenance issues and expenses to the point that you won't enjoy your car, get the P-car.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts