Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having traveled often on long road trips with various cars throughout Europe, driving non-stop for over 12-15 hours, I have experienced all sorts of comfort/discomfort, thrills and what not.

I have spent countless hours driving top Mercedes, Jaguars, Porsches and other great cars on long journeys.

Having used the 550 on trips that ranged into 5 hours, I didn't really know what to expect on this long trip that brought me to meet the Ferrarilife friends for FLED 1 in northern France.

I put about 8.000 km on it in the course of a bit over one week.

This goes to say that I spent several hours driving it, loaded with suitcases with gear for two persons for ten days (it's amazing the quantity of bags one can actually fit in that car), with various types of weather, but mostly cruising at reasonably high speeds (in the region of 230/240 Kmh).

The first thing you realize is that you tend to get much earlier than you would have thought to wherever it is you are going.

I thought I would feel uncomfortable after a while, but that never happened.

On the last sector, I drove it non-stop for 10 hours (except for fuel and sandwiches). The car was always as willing and able, the noise is perfectly muffled and yet clearly audible, the climate control works fine and once you get the hang of it, you can keep the cockpit very comfortable.

The suspension transmitted all the trust one requires keeping the car firmly in place under any driving circumstances, and does not "break your bones".

The brakes were always there, no fade, no jitter even under "emergency" actuation.

The instant power that manifests once you step on the accelerator, regardless of the speed you are driving at, is simply "from another planet".

The racer breed that it emanates is so bold, that you tend to forget your are hauling so much weight altogether.

The downside (for me), you will not go unnoticed anywhere.

In short, the greatest race-bred Grand Touring car I have experienced, and I recommend it.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey agp22, we haven't heard from you in a long time. Hope you're doing well.

Onno
Doin' fine JazzyO, doin' fine. But VFB though...
Happy new year

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1 - 7 of 7 Posts