Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a look at the general Ferrari market in the UK today. It looks like 550 Maranello prices have dropped another GBP 5k. Similar age and condition 360s look like they are commanding GBP 10k premium over the 550. The 550 has to be the best value on the Ferrari market today.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Yes, I've noticed that too, £45K GBP seems to be the going rate for an early 550 with average miles. I can't see them going much lower as TR prices have rallied recently, and 512M's are more than 550's now.
Where do you think the bottom out will be? £40K?

I've seen more poor condition 550's than any other F-car. Several have been observed in multi storey car parks looking very unloved and dirty with scraped wheels and dings on the doors where other drivers have opened their doors on them:(

·
Registered
53 Posts
In Germany, they start at 62k€ for a 1997 model with 50-100kkm.

One dealer even advertises financing: 20k€ down payment, 655€ / month for 36 month, final payment 34k...car price 66.8k€...

Could that high depreciation have something to do with maintenance/repair cost?

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised to see 550s going below 50k some day.

All in all, it looks to me like the V8 Ferrari keep their value best.

Always my best,

John

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
348's are still on their way down, £25-30K GBP for a RHD, £20-£25K for a left hooker.
RHD 355's can be had for less than £40K now too, LHD's are as low as early 30's if you look hard enough.
Main dealers and reputable independents are still 10-15% higher, but I guess you ultimately get what you pay for.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Germany:

328 GTS starting at 30k up to 82k (for an almost new one), 28 available
348 TBs starting at 35k€ up to 60k€ for a GTS Spider, 59 available
355 GTS starting at 46k up to 80k for a Spider, 76 available
360 starting at 70k€ up to 150k€ for a CS, 168 available
550 starting at 63k up to 100k, Barchettas starting at 150k, total 38
575 starting at 100k, 46 available
430 starting at 145k, 196 available
456 starting at 42k, 456M starting at 68k, 33 available
F40 between 230k and 300k, 9 available

·
Registered
53 Posts

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
I took a look at the general Ferrari market in the UK today. It looks like 550 Maranello prices have dropped another GBP 5k. Similar age and condition 360s look like they are commanding GBP 10k premium over the 550. The 550 has to be the best value on the Ferrari market today.
Why is that? the 550 is got to be one of the best looking cars of all time, not to mention one of the best looking Ferraris!

How on earth could anyone choose a 360 over a 550....

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Why is that? the 550 is got to be one of the best looking cars of all time, not to mention one of the best looking Ferraris!

How on earth could anyone choose a 360 over a 550....
er ... have done just that. I had a 550 in the past and purchased a 360 this year. Choice is driven by how you intend to use the car.

That having been said, at these prices, a 550 just might be in the cards in 2008.

·
Premium Member
1,733 Posts
...here is one at Autosalon Singen (with a repaired accident):
I have always been intrigued by Autosalon Singen's website - their prices have really climbed in the last 7 years.

Do you know anything of their reputation John?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Maintenance cost might be a reason to choose the 360. The 360 also gives you that fabulous view on the engine through the rear window. All in all , it appears to attract a bit more attention. Also for people who have grown up in the 80s, a "real" Ferrari must have a mid-engine.

The 360 is also a bit newer, with the oldest models being from 1999, while the low-priced 550s appear to be from 1996/1997.

Always my best,

John

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have always been intrigued by Autosalon Singen's website - their prices have really climbed in the last 7 years.

Do you know anything of their reputation John?
Autosalon Singen is suppsed to have a good reputation and probably the best supercar selection, however, their prices are very expensive. Tamsen in Bremen ain't bad, either, however, I did not have the chance to pay a visit yet.

Personally, I'd prefer to buy an expensive car at a vendor that is specialized in one or two brands only and also does maintenance.

Always my best,

John

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
I dont know.... there are just too many 360's out there. They are somewhat of a modern day 308 to me.

Nothing beats a front engine V12 in my eyes. Of course, I have never driven either....so....

Does someone want to let me have a go?!?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Of course, the 360/430 is the modern 308, while the 550/575 is the succesor of the Testarossa range.

I got a front-engine V12, and you are right, nothing beats it :D

·
Premium Member
131 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
I wasn't referring to Ferrari specifically, but V12 vs. V8 engines in general ;)

Can't say if it is better having them in the front vs the back, however, I guess there must be a reason why Ferrari changed them back with the introduction of the Maranello.

At least you don't have to take the engine out to change that darn cambelt, do you?

Always my best,

John

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Not sure I agree, the quickest, best handling cars I have driven all have the horse pushing the cart.
yeah, but then again, you have the F40 and the F50 sitting in the garage, what car really has a chance against those two??

BTW, if you could keep only one of them, what would it be? (I hope to hear F40!!! hehehehe)

·
Registered
453 Posts
Yes, the 550 Maranello is about one of the best used Ferrari values in existence, with the traditional classic front V12 setup. I would bet that values of the 550 have quite a way to drop even still. That car will probably hit bottom around the USD$55,000 mark before it's all said and done. Just dirt cheap for what you get.

But beware of the aging modern supercar V12 maintenance to follow. That will be a killer! Imagine servicing a 15 to 20 year old low-production number V12 Ferrari with outdated and discontinued computer bullsh1t, requisite special parts and mechanical systems that all begin to fail at about the same time!

I will still buy one anyway! :rofl:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts