Ferrari Life Forum banner

681 - 700 of 701 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #681
Hello Fabio, yes it's good to be working on the 550's engine again; I just hope I can remember where all the parts go!

I didn't really intend for this to be a race build, other than my decision for going with ITB's, which was primarily driven by their visual appeal, but I did want to include some things in the build that made engineering sense and would enhance the reliability, durability and performance.

For the camshafts and crankshaft, I had them finished using the REM isotropic process, but I don't think I'll do anything else. Their bearing shells were coated with PolyDyn's oil retaining coating.

I am considering changing the lifters from hydraulic to solid, as I have never trusted hydraulic lifters for a high RPM engine, and I'm very comfortable with valvetrains having solid lifters and shims. I just need to consult with a cam and valve train expert to see if the cam ramps might be too aggressive for solid lifters (however the 456 engine has solid lifters with even more aggressive cam profiles than the 550 cams, so I don't anticipate any issues).

·
Premium Member
11,886 Posts
John- The F12 TDF went back to solid lifters. Does your 550 have oil jets for cooling the bottom of the pistons? If so, might be another spot for coating.

·
Super Moderator
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #683
Thanks Taz, good to know about the solid lifters for the F12. That reinforces my thoughts to go to solid lifters. Maybe I can score a set of 456 cams too, or have mine welded and reground a bit :)

And yes, the 550's block already has the piston cooling jets.

·
Super Moderator
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #684
My heads have been at an engine builder buddy's shop for some time now, waiting for him to make room in his very busy schedule to disassemble them & CC the chambers. He finally did them this last week, and below is a pic of the results. It's interesting that the two chambers (#4 & #5) that were 0.5cc larger than the rest were on the same (right bank) head and adjacent to each other. Makes me wonder if there is some valve recession going on in that head. Although I'd like all chambers to be bang on 17.0 CC's, the work involved in correcting those 2 chambers (or making the other 10 the same) is more than I want to invest at this point. This extra half cc of volume will only change the compression ratio of these chambers by 0.5, (from 10.6:1 to 10.5:1) and I think I can live with that.

Interestingly, holding all other dimensions the same, but increasing the bores from 88mm to the target 92mm only changes the CR from 10.6:1 to 10.8:1.

I included a couple more shots of the right head, showing the bowls under the valves, and a good shot of the exhaust & intake ports. These Ferrari heads really have some of the straightest and prettiest ports I've ever seen, and there's no reason why they won't make 100 HP/Liter or more. I've spent hundreds of hours and dollars massaging Japanese heads to look as nice as these stock heads, so it's apparent that Ferrari have put their lessons learned from building race engines into these production heads :)

Next, we'll get these heads on the flowbench and see how they really do flow at various valve lifts, and if the ports are as good as I think they are.

After flowbenching, I'll bring the heads & valves to my buddy Carl Benton at PolyDyn to put his magic coatings on them. The valve faces, chambers and exhaust ports will get his high temp ceramic coating, while the intake tracts will get a PTFE based coating for better flow, and the cam saddles and caps will get a moly based coating for better lubricity and oil retention. We'll also probably put the PTFE based coating on the heads' external surfaces to seal the aluminum and protect against corrosion. His PTFE coating was developed "back in the day" to look exactly like cast aluminum, as it was used by certain Busch Cup teams for coating their intake manifolds so they could eke more CFM out of each runner without attracting the attention of the tech inspectors.

Once the heads have been coated, we'll put them back on the flowbench to see if Carl's magic still works, and there's a measurable increase in flow.

Again, the object of all this is not to build a race engine, but by massaging certain areas, relieving friction, and keeping more heat in the chambers, the engine will perform better, and it will reduce the load on the ancillary systems.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
John, sounds like heart surgeon talk on heart valves, amazing and something way over my cranium. I am glad for not pursuing my career in engineering, it would have been a disaster.

You must be looking forward to the end result performance.

w/ smiles
Jimmy

·
Super Moderator
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #686
Good to hear from you Jimmy, and thanks for the comments! I do enjoy working on the car, especially the engine, and making whatever minor improvements I can to it.

You guys in the medical field definitely have your own vernacular, too. Whenever I hear it spoken, I know it's English, but I can't understand ANY of it :)

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
:nerd:Glad that all is well with you.

w/ smiles
Jimmy
Good to hear from you Jimmy, and thanks for the comments! I do enjoy working on the car, especially the engine, and making whatever minor improvements I can to it.

You guys in the medical field definitely have your own vernacular, too. Whenever I hear it spoken, I know it's English, but I can't understand ANY of it :)

·
Vendor
454 Posts
My heads have been at an engine builder buddy's shop for some time now, waiting for him to make room in his very busy schedule to disassemble them & CC the chambers. He finally did them this last week, and below is a pic of the results. It's interesting that the two chambers (#4 & #5) that were 0.5cc larger than the rest were on the same (right bank) head and adjacent to each other. Makes me wonder if there is some valve recession going on in that head. Although I'd like all chambers to be bang on 17.0 CC's, the work involved in correcting those 2 chambers (or making the other 10 the same) is more than I want to invest at this point. This extra half cc of volume will only change the compression ratio of these chambers by 0.5, (from 10.6:1 to 10.5:1) and I think I can live with that.

Interestingly, holding all other dimensions the same, but increasing the bores from 88mm to the target 92mm only changes the CR from 10.6:1 to 10.8:1.

I included a couple more shots of the right head, showing the bowls under the valves, and a good shot of the exhaust & intake ports. These Ferrari heads really have some of the straightest and prettiest ports I've ever seen, and there's no reason why they won't make 100 HP/Liter or more. I've spent hundreds of hours and dollars massaging Japanese heads to look as nice as these stock heads, so it's apparent that Ferrari have put their lessons learned from building race engines into these production heads :)

Next, we'll get these heads on the flowbench and see how they really do flow at various valve lifts, and if the ports are as good as I think they are.

After flowbenching, I'll bring the heads & valves to my buddy Carl Benton at PolyDyn to put his magic coatings on them. The valve faces, chambers and exhaust ports will get his high temp ceramic coating, while the intake tracts will get a PTFE based coating for better flow, and the cam saddles and caps will get a moly based coating for better lubricity and oil retention. We'll also probably put the PTFE based coating on the heads' external surfaces to seal the aluminum and protect against corrosion. His PTFE coating was developed "back in the day" to look exactly like cast aluminum, as it was used by certain Busch Cup teams for coating their intake manifolds so they could eke more CFM out of each runner without attracting the attention of the tech inspectors.

Once the heads have been coated, we'll put them back on the flowbench to see if Carl's magic still works, and there's a measurable increase in flow.

Again, the object of all this is not to build a race engine, but by massaging certain areas, relieving friction, and keeping more heat in the chambers, the engine will perform better, and it will reduce the load on the ancillary systems.
Hello John,
wonderful work, compliments ....

I think the little extra of volume of the two chambers will do nothing ....

I agree with you these Ferrari heads really have some of the straightest and prettiest ports, and there's no reason why they won't make 100 HP/Liter or more.
These heads was developed basing to the F1 036 engine of those times, the more external things are the layout of the head exhaust port, the head screws position and the 65° V angle...

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #689
Fabio, thanks for the comments and the photo.

Those V12 F1 engines from the late 80's and earlier have always been my favorites. To me, that period was the golden age of F1, before things became so crazy with the aero stuff and ECU's for everything. Back then, a truly great driver could still win a championship with a not so great car, but not now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
ferrari 550 head flow data

by any chance would anyone here have head flow data on the stock 550 heads? i would like it to assist with selecting a suitable cam profile.
or have 1 stock useable aluminium nikasil liner they would sell?

·
Super Moderator
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #691
Here are the flows from stock 550 heads, corrected for STP, and 20" water, and were done at a very good 2yr technical school we have here in Houston. We didn't flow all 24 ports, only the ones on the end of each head and the middle.

And I probably have a liner too. Please PM me.

Attachments

·
Registered
429 Posts
Stock ports and 20" depression?
And he was opening both valve in each port, right? I can't think of a reason not to, but you said 24 ports...

Hilarious to pair millimeters of valve lift with CFM.

·
Super Moderator
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #693
Stock ports and 20" depression?
And he was opening both valve in each port, right? I can't think of a reason not to, but you said 24 ports...

Hilarious to pair millimeters of valve lift with CFM.
Will, yup, stock ports & 20" depression, and yes, both valves were opened in each port.

The 24 ports was a reference to the total of two heads. If I'd thought about it more, I should have just said all ports in both heads.

Apologies on the mixed units and standards. I'm sloppy and lazy sometimes. I also tend to mix French and Arabic with my English, or English with my French and Arabic, depending on which side of the Atlantic I'm on :)

·
Registered
429 Posts
I wasn't busting on you... I've seen valve lift in millimeters lots of times, but have NEVER seen a flow sheet in cubic meters per minute.

Ahh, you meant intake AND exhaust ports.

·
Super Moderator
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #695
No worries Will, it's all good, and yes, intake & exhaust ports were meant, but not written :)

·
Super Moderator
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #700
Thanks guys for your interest, but the project is currently stalled (as is everything else in my life) due to a divorce that seems to be going nowhere fast :(

681 - 700 of 701 Posts