Ferrari Life Forum banner

661 - 680 of 701 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Hi Fabio, yes if my calculations are correct, the 0.005" difference in deck height would have resulted in 0.8 cc additional volume in the left bank combustion chamber, so not enough to change the compression too much.

I'm always on the lookout for things like this, because the left bank of this engine always ran a little cooler than the right bank, and I've been looking for the source of this. The AFR's were the same on both, and the throttles were well synchronised, and the STFT's were very close also. Perhaps there is some cat converter plugging on the right bank, which I'll need to investigate.....

The new liners are machined:
Hi John,
Nice the new cylinder liners, what is the material Steel or spheroidal cast iron?

I suppose that you don't do any surface treatment on the inside cylinder liners ....
Also i have supposed that on my 575M the left and right bank worked at different temperature, i installed two K thermocouples just before the two CAt and i checked the incredible little difference maximum of 20 °C driving slow and 5°C on full throttle acceleration !!!

Reactions: vincenzo2

·
Super Moderator
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #662
Hi John,
Nice the new cylinder liners, what is the material Steel or spheroidal cast iron?

I suppose that you don't do any surface treatment on the inside cylinder liners ....
Also i have supposed that on my 575M the left and right bank worked at different temperature, i installed two K thermocouples just before the two CAt and i checked the incredible little difference maximum of 20 °C driving slow and 5°C on full throttle acceleration !!!
Fabio, Darton calls these "centrifugally cast ductile iron", which I suspect is similar to your description. And no, no special surface treatment on the inner surface of the liners, although my pistons will have their skirts and crowns coated.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Fabio, Darton calls these "centrifugally cast ductile iron", which I suspect is similar to your description. And no, no special surface treatment on the inner surface of the liners, although my pistons will have their skirts and crowns coated.

Yes John, i know the "centrifugally cast ductile iron" is a mode to obtain rings with very compact material, nice for cylinders!:thumbsup:

Normally the inner special surface treatment is do on aluminium and steel cylinders, but the cast ductile iron is perfect for cylinders and BMW on his old F1 1500 4 cylinders and on his old M engines the cylinders are directly obtained in the crankcase casting in cast ductile iron.

Good work John!:thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #664
Lots of progress recently. The block is now finished, except for the final honing.

This last pic was taken just two nights ago when Steve finished the final cut on the decks to ensure the liners and decks were flush. Final bore is within honing range of 92mm. The rearmost cylinders have a fairly thin wall between them and the oil drainback channels, so Steve didn't feel comfortable going any larger with the bores. With 92mm bores, it'll still fall out to be 5.98 liters when finished.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Lots of progress recently. The block is now finished, except for the final honing.

This last pic was taken just two nights ago when Steve finished the final cut on the decks to ensure the liners and decks were flush. Final bore is within honing range of 92mm. The rearmost cylinders have a fairly thin wall between them and the oil drainback channels, so Steve didn't feel comfortable going any larger with the bores. With 92mm bores, it'll still fall out to be 5.98 liters when finished.

Great and nice work John!!!!
I like it!

·
Super Moderator
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #666

·
Super Moderator
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #668
Dave, that's correct, no Nikasil. They're just "bare" ductile iron and will take a standard forged piston & ring pack.

They're also flush with the deck surface, instead being proud of it by a few fractions of a mm. I hope there won't be any sealing issues......

·
Super Moderator
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #669
Haven't posted recently as there hasn't been much progress (we all know how life gets in the way of more important things). But here's a few pics of the sexy new intake and ITB's (Individual Throttle Bodies).

Awhile back I'd acquired a 456 intake manifold and lopped the side plenums off so I'd have 12 individual runners. Unfortunately the runners were then too short for my throttle bodies to fit on without fouling the fuel rails, so off the manifold went to that master of welding & fabrication, Mark E. (aka mk_e).

Mark was kind enough to extend the runners for me and make it look like they came that way from Maranello, and he also fabricated some really cool top hat adapters to make my choice of injectors fit. I just had the trumpets pressed onto the TB's last week, so it was time to assemble everything for a show & tell. The fuel rails and injectors aren't in these pics, but I've already confirmed they fit fine. Mark is a true artist when it comes to custom fabrication!

This is the first iteration on the ITB's and it will be the setup I'll use for the breakin runs on the engine dyno. Once the concept is proven, I'll go ahead and modify the manifold again to accept some Jenvey ITB's which will look much better than these.

Attachments

·
Registered
192 Posts
John awesome project and can't wait till she's running. Think you are capturing a lot of our "what if" dreams.
Hope we get a chance to hear it.
Have a Happy and Safe New Year!
Bill
FL

·
Premium Member
11,886 Posts
John- Not sure how the Jenveys will be any better looking than that set-up. Looking forward to dyno results. Are you putting a set of Fabio's headers on her?

·
Super Moderator
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #673
John- Not sure how the Jenveys will be any better looking than that set-up. Looking forward to dyno results. Are you putting a set of Fabio's headers on her?
Taz, thanks; I've got to say the looks of this system are growing on me, too :) Fabio's headers are in the long term plan, but probably not for the initial dyno runs.

John awesome project and can't wait till she's running. Think you are capturing a lot of our "what if" dreams.
Hope we get a chance to hear it.
Have a Happy and Safe New Year!
Bill
FL
Bill, thanks for the kind words, and it's really a fun project. You can be sure that I'll be videoing the dyno runs.

A very Happy New Year to everyone! Hope 2016 will bring a better economy, peace & prosperity to all.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Hey, Happy New Year to you John, and to everyone on FerrariChat for a happy and a healthy 2016!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
11,886 Posts
Happy New Year.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Hi John,

I've gone through the first 14 pages of this thread and hope to finish tomorrow with my morning coffee.

Fantastic work you are doing here - really nice detail and well thought out tools and solutions.

I've learned a lot from this thread and after I get caught up on the remaining pages I will subscribe to stay current with your posts here.

But, I think you need a second F car so you have one to drive. It would kill me to have my car down for 3 years so I'm glad I have 3 :)

·
Super Moderator
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #677
Thanks Dave, I think I enjoy working and tinkering on the car more than driving it, but that's the engineer side of us, isn't it? Certainly most of the enjoyment for me is engineering better solutions to the known issues than Ferrari did.

I do need to get this project back into high gear, however, as my wife is terrified I'll croak and leave her with a torn down Ferrari and 20+ crates of parts....

I nearly was seduced into buying a 456GTA in "my" perfect color combination of silver/burgundy, but came to my senses prior to writing the check, as I knew there would be lots of things I'd have to sort out on it too. So I wound up with an Infiniti G37S coupe for a DD, and really like it, other than its DBW throttles, which I absolutely detest on any car. It must be the way I drive, because others don't seem to mind them, but they really drive me batty.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Hi John,

I agree - I also really enjoy working on my cars and learning about them.

I applaud your work and diligence here - very motivating. I especially appreciate your investigative nature and how you inspect and analyze every detail - well done!

In regard to installing heads to the block with or without cams - I'm torn on this topic. When I worked for GM, the heads (DOHC) were fully assembled in the head department then installed to the engine at the engine assembly line. I can appreciate the weight challenges but also don't love doing the bulk of the work in the car, or in my case in the subframe. I'll be looking at both options in detail.

I also love your post regarding belt dates - in fact I'm going to create a thread about it using you post. Sadly, it seems you will need to buy belts again given the time length of your project - the one reason I don't plan to order mine until I'm well underway of assembly.

And ironic you talk about the fear of croaking and having parts all over the house - I know my dad worries about that and the fact that he would have to put mine back together, not that I plan to croak anytime soon :) but, this is not something we can plan ;)

·
Super Moderator
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #679
It's been sometime since I updated this thread, but I now have the newly linered block back and a finished, but untested water pump. The block linering went perfectly, however the water pump testing is what has taken so long, and in the end, I threw in the towel and asked my block guy to ship everything as is. His water pump subcontractor apparently is quite a good engineer, but not nearly as good a businessman when it comes to fulfilling his responsibilities and obligations to his clientele. At any rate I've got no excuses now for not putting this puppy back together.

Next task is to reassemble an "empty" engine so the block & heads can be coated with a high tech PTFE based anti-corrosion coating from my buddy Carl Benton at PolyDyn here in Houston. This coating looks exactly like bright cast aluminum, but will keep the cast finish from corroding. I've already done the sump inside & out with it - the inside to "seal" the pores of the ally, and to keep oil from clinging, and the outside to prevent corrosion.

I'll then have the heads gone through with more of Carl's magic coatings: ceramic coating in the chambers, valves, and exhaust ports, and the PTFE coating inside the intake ports, plus an oil retaining coating on the cam journals and caps.

Pistons will get similar treatments on crowns & skirts.

I'll put up some pics once I have the "empty" short block reassembled (no crank, pistons or rods) and ready to go to PolyDyn.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
It's been sometime since I updated this thread, but I now have the newly linered block back and a finished, but untested water pump. The block linering went perfectly, however the water pump testing is what has taken so long, and in the end, I threw in the towel and asked my block guy to ship everything as is. His water pump subcontractor apparently is quite a good engineer, but not nearly as good a businessman when it comes to fulfilling his responsibilities and obligations to his clientele. At any rate I've got no excuses now for not putting this puppy back together.

Next task is to reassemble an "empty" engine so the block & heads can be coated with a high tech PTFE based anti-corrosion coating from my buddy Carl Benton at PolyDyn here in Houston. This coating looks exactly like bright cast aluminum, but will keep the cast finish from corroding. I've already done the sump inside & out with it - the inside to "seal" the pores of the ally, and to keep oil from clinging, and the outside to prevent corrosion.

I'll then have the heads gone through with more of Carl's magic coatings: ceramic coating in the chambers, valves, and exhaust ports, and the PTFE coating inside the intake ports, plus an oil retaining coating on the cam journals and caps.

Pistons will get similar treatments on crowns & skirts.

I'll put up some pics once I have the "empty" short block reassembled (no crank, pistons or rods) and ready to go to PolyDyn.

Hello John,
very nice that you upgrade your thread ... I miss your posts ....

Compliments, you are doing a race engine !
All the coatings that you are doing (ceramic, PTFE etc.) will decrease friction factors, will increase the power and reduce specific comsumption, the ceramic coating on combustion chamber reduce the exchange heat and increase combustion factor.
Two question:
- about the camshafts what you will do?
- about water pump what was your intention?

Thanks

Compliments again!

661 - 680 of 701 Posts