• Other

Votes: 11 34.4%
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Looking at potential aftermarket exhaust choices for a 1999 550. So far it seems like Tubi is "the brand" to have. From the website etc, Quick Silver is the other I'm impressed with, however it's hard to find back to back video/sound or reviews of either.
I know a lot of people really like the Tubi, but the QS looks a LOT cheaper (about 50%) and looks like a well engineered product from the website. Comments?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Larini

Have a look at the Larini website, they have clips of their sounds on different Ferraris. I think they are also on Youtube.

I am thinking along the same lines and think I will go with Larini. Got a knowledgeable email from them when I enquired about the relative merits of cats/ back boxes and also changing the pipe in the middle too (they didn't advise it which is nice to hear)

Quick question on another 550 topic while you guys are here. Does anyone get any noise from the fanbelt when starting from cold. If i don;t match te revs right I get a squeal from what I assume must be the fanbelt (my brothers Mk2 Golf used to do the same!). Should I get the belt changed imediately, or is it nothing to worry about. Fan runs fine and car never overheats.

Alex

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Have a look at the Larini website, they have clips of their sounds on different Ferraris. I think they are also on Youtube.

I am thinking along the same lines and think I will go with Larini. Got a knowledgeable email from them when I enquired about the relative merits of cats/ back boxes and also changing the pipe in the middle too (they didn't advise it which is nice to hear)

Quick question on another 550 topic while you guys are here. Does anyone get any noise from the fanbelt when starting from cold. If i don;t match te revs right I get a squeal from what I assume must be the fanbelt (my brothers Mk2 Golf used to do the same!). Should I get the belt changed imediately, or is it nothing to worry about. Fan runs fine and car never overheats.

Alex
One thing to note: for me, the 550 is a Q-car and it shouldn't be too intrusive, it just doesn't match the car. So I recommend a system which isn't too loud. The Tubi is already quite intrusive when idling. It would be nice if there were some switches on it so you could open or close it as you see fit.

With regards to your other issue, Alex, I have never heard any noises like that from my car. I suggest you have the belt checked out. A squeal is never a sound the factory envisaged should come from the engine so something is wrong. Might not be serious, but you don't really want to be wrong.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have been real happy with X-OST rear mufflers on my 1999 550 which I installed personally without any drama. The price is better than Tubi and it fitted well and sounds great. Sounds powerful at idle and up to 1700 revs then quietens, but I believe that is common to Tubi as well. Opens up again at high revs and full throttle. I am thinking about an X pipe to get that great Ferrari V12 sound in the mid range.

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
I have sold and installed many X-ost Maranello. The system is a work of art. Sounds amazing and cheaper than a tubi. Check out You Tube under (X-ost maranello by daytona ) I have many different clips however a nice one on a 575.
I posted the link.
I have one set left. If you are interesed , please feel free to call or email me.
Thank you.
Alex.

FERRARI 575 M X-OST MARANELLO RACE MUFFLER - YouTube

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
One thing to note: for me, the 550 is a Q-car and it shouldn't be too intrusive, it just doesn't match the car. So I recommend a system which isn't too loud. The Tubi is already quite intrusive when idling. It would be nice if there were some switches on it so you could open or close it as you see fit.

Onno

+1, the 550 & 575 are Ferraris where the stock exhausts suit the car perfectly. If it is too loud, it can be very grating on a long distance sprint.

·
Premium Member
11,886 Posts
Onno, Boxer- The factory valved HGTC exhaust makes a great compromise. Quiet during cruise with the valves closed, and very aggressive when you step on it and the valves open.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I too have Tubis on my '99 550 and am very happy. Not overly loud and pleasant on long trips. While I have no first hand experience, I would investigate Braden resonater delete pipes with stock muffler as an option. Doug

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Hey all,

I guess we'd fall under the OTHER category but Formula Dynamics is the North American Distributor of Larini Systems Exhausts and we think the Larini System Sport Mufflers for the 550 sound awesome.

Check it out:

Here are some of the features:

• High Quality Tig Welding
• Easy Bolt-On Installation
• Precision Engineered For Accurate Fit
• Highly Polished Box Casings, Tips and Pipework
• Aircraft Grade Stainless Steel Construction
• Larini Lifetime Warranty
• Improved Horsepower & Torque
• Lightweight High Strength Construction
• Truly Amazing Sound

Larini Systems offers fantastic performance and craftsmanship easily on par with other brands such as Tubi, they are priced very competitively and sound fantastic.

We also carry Sports Cats, Test Pipes, Sports Center Section and a Valved Sports Muffler System.

If you have any questions give us a call at (702) 430-1040.

Here is our 550 page for Larini Systems exhaust products: http://www.formuladynamics.com/larini/ferrari_550.html

Cyril

·
Premium Member
11,886 Posts
Cyril- Sounds great.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Can't see the video?

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
Great video Cyril. It does sound wonderful.

And what a great job... "so honey, how was your day today?"

"Well, today I stood in a field of heather, beside a cliff, on the edge of a mountain, and recorded the sound of a Ferrari tearing up and down the road. And that's what I call work."

Much better than an office job! :)

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
@550JM

Go to our YouTube Page FormulaDynamics's Channel - YouTube its the first video, we have a lot of other great videos on there as well.

@Barry

Sounds like an awesome job to have however I unfortunately am in Las Vegas so there are no beautiful mountain cliffs like that here. That was courtesy of our friends at Larini. I do however get to be around many of these wonderful exotic cars here at FD and being that I'm in charge of the Marketing Department ....shooting and editing video, photos and all of that are all part of my job description so I do have myself a good time :)

Cyril

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
@Barry

Sounds like an awesome job to have however I unfortunately am in Las Vegas so there are no beautiful mountain cliffs like that here. That was courtesy of our friends at Larini. I do however get to be around many of these wonderful exotic cars here at FD and being that I'm in charge of the Marketing Department ....shooting and editing video, photos and all of that are all part of my job description so I do have myself a good time :)

Cyril
Cyril
If I could start over I'd certainly give that a go. Enjoy :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,404 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Taz - does that exhaust fit a 550? Presumably it would. But I'm not sure on the valves, I would guess there's a signal coming from the tach to open them, not sure if that would fit a 550.

Onno
Is it a signal from the tach or done by vacuum? Most cars I have since do a simple vacuum system and it works well.

Side note, that silver 550 with a Larini system sounds TOUGH.

·
Premium Member
11,886 Posts
Onno, Jay- Affirmative, all 550 and 575M mufflers are interchangeable.

Jay- A vacuum line goes from the vacuum accumulator to a solenoid at the rear of the car. A vacuum line from the solenoid goes to a T connector that has a hose going to each pneumatic valve on the inside tailpipes. Maranellos are fail closed bypass valve systems that require vacuum to open the pneumatic valves. The solenoid valve opens at a signal from the Motronic DME based on rpm and throttle opening. When the solenoid valve opens, vacuum flows to the pneumatic valves, opening them.

You can see the arrangement below.

Neither the 456 nor the 456M had bypass valves. 456 brakes are hydraulically boosted. 456M brakes are vacuum boosted, but not using a vacuum accumulator, but using straight hoses from the engine with vacuum valves in the hoses.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,886 Posts
Onno- You will not like that price, although it is not as bad as here in the States. Maranello, UK quotes 3043 pounds ($5K) each side. Eurospares (not sure I trust them anymore) quotes 3288 euros ($4K) per side. Here in the States, they are $7386 each side from Ricambi.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts