Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Boxer, don´t tell me you are also getting a 550!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think only the F40 is above the 550 in my dreams.... :roll:

·
Registered
22 Posts
The only down sides I can think of regarding the 550 as a DD are finding a good spot to park it and the high visibility of such a car in any given situation...sometimes you just want to slip in under the radar...even with the low key 550, this is still a problem.
My experience with the 550 indicates that mechanically, the more you drive it, the better it performs/more relaible it becomes. I believe this is the case with most Fcars, but even more so with the newer ones, the 550 especially so. Ferrari designed this car as the "practical Ferrari"...so if any Fcar can be used in this fashion, the 550 would be it :)
As to specifics, in heavy traffic, the clutch can get a little weary, but nothing like my old 355, and Im assuming the BB is a lot heavier.Other than that, traffic is just boring, but not a concern. Overheating is never an issue, even on 100+ days in rush hour stop and go traffic...
Running costs go up with mileage, but that applies to any Fcar, However, gas could get a little funky if these hurricanes keep shutting down refineries.
Again, I cant see this being much worse than the BB.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Heck, the 550 is great on the freeway. Even in heavy traffic, it is fun. The only problem is when it is hot and you are NOT moving. This will cause you to over heat. Rats.

Of course, one must understand the left foot and its uses. Many today are lame.

Nothing is perfect but the 550 is close.

8)

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 550 is my daily driver except in bad weather, and I love it. Sure, you need a strong leg for the clutch, but you already knew that. It's been reliable, powerful, draws attention, looks good parked or moving... my only complaint are, as usual, the squeaky brakes.

Kevin

·
Registered
43 Posts
Boxer said:
Does anyone use a 550 as a daily driver ?

If so, how is it in heavy traffic ?

Does it respond well to the daily grind ?

What are the annual running costs ?

Any major areas of concern ?
I have used one as a daily driver. It's great. No different that a Jaguar XK-R or something like that. Maintenance is normal but the intervals are sped up. Never had any issues with overheating, parking, etc. Great car for everyday if you don't mind having the service intervals come sooner than otherwise. But the car is made for driving. I would say that if you put 10k a year on it, budget about $3-$5k for maintenance.

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the insights. I am looking forward to finding the right one hopefully in the not to distant future. Annual maintenance bills are a bit steep but in reality not that much more than what you would spend on a weekend driver when you factor in the cambelt changes every 3-4 years.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Boxer said:
Thanks for the insights. I am looking forward to finding the right one hopefully in the not to distant future. Annual maintenance bills are a bit steep but in reality not that much more than what you would spend on a weekend driver when you factor in the cambelt changes every 3-4 years.
Well, one of the things that I liked about was that it doesn't attract attention. No one knew what it was. The Stebro center pipe and Tubi did, however, tip some people off :D . Really, though, I don't like a car that attracts *too much* attention (I still want to drive a Ferrari, though) and this was great, especially for parking in the city. Rain or shine it was reliable. I think that it got about 7k in a year.

BTW, I bought my subsequent V8 Ferrari in black and I found that it's not very attention getting compared to red, yellow, or silver. It's nice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Smarty Jones said:
Well, one of the things that I liked about was that it doesn't attract attention. No one knew what it was.
I've found the 550 (in non-TDF blue) attracts plenty of attention, and not just because of the brakes. It's less incognito than the 456 I had previously, or the Maserati before that. Maybe this is just a Pittsburgh thing though; we don't see too many nice cars on the road.

Kevin

·
Registered
509 Posts
Boxer said:
Blue, Black or Dark Grey are my perferred colors. I also really like the fact that it is much more "incognito " than most of its 8 cylinder stablemates.

Hows the progress going on thte hunt?

Seems you're getting into it but I havent read anything abot you finding a suitable match yet.

At one point you were debating the 575M (Fiorano handling). Whats the consensus?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts