Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just stumbled over an offer for a almost new (11' miles) black/black Superamerica here in Switzerland. The price offered is around 163'000 Euros, but the "velocity" with which the price has been lowered recently expects a deal around Euro 150' ! Thats quite low, regarding the initial "when new" sticker price.

Next I was wondering what you guys would prefer: A 550 Barchetta or the 575 Superamerica....and why ?!

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
The depreciation on the SA has been stupendous, although this is the first time I've heard of a price that low. The drop has not been entirely unjustified, I think. Although the roof's idea is quite good and ingenious, it was not really exercised with a lot of flair. The car's lines are just a bit ruined. Aside from that, the kink in the rear end, which was clearly put in just so it didn't completely look like a regular 550/575 doesn't look good, and the raised shield on the bootlid looks even worse. I've also heard there are a lot of problems with the roofs - seems the switcheable transparency thing stops working after a while.

I think the Barchetta is a better (purer) looking car but the SA of course does have extra power, and you can drive it in the rain. It usually also has F1 shifting, so if you like that you need to go for the SA (personally I don't want it on a GT like this). If I had to choose between the two, then definitely the Barchetta. But I have a 550 already.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, you really have a gorgeous one. That blue is something.....!

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Definitely the 550 Barchetta. Per JazzyO's comments, I am not a fan of the "rain scoop" treatment to the 575's lines that was executed to allow the roof to flip back. 20 years from now, I believe the 550 Barchettas will still be looked at as a "special" Ferrari while the Superamerica will just be a 575 with a neat extra feature.

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Yes, you really have a gorgeous one. That blue is something.....!
Too bad you missed seeing it in the flesh by one hour in September... But maybe next time (although I'm thinking of taking the Boxer onto FLED2).

That leads me onto this question, my friends: my good friend Hans, driving his 308GT4 (carbs of course) in the Dolomites last year, had tremendous difficulty above 2000m keeping his engine running; it was just way too rich for the altitude. Should I expect similar problems if we are going to do mountain passes on FLED2?

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Too bad you missed seeing it in the flesh by one hour in September... But maybe next time (although I'm thinking of taking the Boxer onto FLED2).

That leads me onto this question, my friends: my good friend Hans, driving his 308GT4 (carbs of course) in the Dolomites last year, had tremendous difficulty above 2000m keeping his engine running; it was just way too rich for the altitude. Should I expect similar problems if we are going to do mountain passes on FLED2?

Onno
Not at all. To change anything on the carb setup just for the couple of minutes which we will probably spend above the mentioned altitude level is dangerous and not worth while. We all will drive "adapted" and careful so some sudden "plops" from the carbs will not mean anything important.
Besides, it was just an idea to try to put together a many pass crossover tour (based on the impression from the first tour that everybodies main goal was driving, driving, driving). Please be assured that the most important point is that everybody has a great time and that the tour is to the "gusto" of everybody.

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Beautiful colour combination. Striking !

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Absolutely phenomenal! Very nice interior combination:thumbsup:

Chris

·
Registered
6,209 Posts
+1 on the Barchetta definitely :thumbsup: I have the same feelings towards the Superamerica as per JazzyO and Boxer.

The Barchetta is just beautiful.

I love the interior option for the Barchetta in the picture below.

Barchetta is the only other alternative to the SA for me in that there is a 'sunny' mode vs all-weather drive. I like the SA's harder top, quick stow, but I've heard stories concerning replacement of top glass and some latching problems when stowed, other than that, if you like it go for it, but feel you'll be paying a premium....best to wait another year, I'm figuring ...

the more solid buys or slower depreciation are the 550's which, may run into other problems, like valve guides, exhaust manifold replacement and rear suspension re-builds....just saying.

PS: don't forget if not properly maintained, those radiators/heater cores are a bit pricy.

rik

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Barchetta is the only other alternative to the SA for me in that there is a 'sunny' mode vs all-weather drive.
A sunny mode for sure, but all-weather drive??? Mind you I know a Dutch owner that takes his on week long trips all over Europe without a hood...

the more solid buys or slower depreciation are the 550's which, may run into other problems, like valve guides, exhaust manifold replacement and rear suspension re-builds....just saying.
This seems to suggest that these problems are rife - which is certainly not my experience. The valve guide issue was common in the early 355s but not in the 550. The other two issues I have not come across yet either. In any case the Barchetta is mechanically identical to the 550.

Onno

·
Registered
50 Posts
Just stumbled over an offer for a almost new (11' miles) black/black Superamerica here in Switzerland.
You may also have seen the 11.06 registered Superamerica for sale with a mere 112.00kms on it (yes the decimal place is correct) for CHF411k/€276k?

A unique opportunity for someone, with deep enough pockets...

There is also a lovely 575M manual with 1,300kms on the clock at another dealer for just under half that amount. Would make a nice pair!

I've seen one anthracite coloured Superamerica on the road near Geneva in the past year and it looked great.

Maybe one day..

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
A unique opportunity for someone, with deep enough pockets...
A unique opportunity to lose some money, indeed. :D The depreciation on that car is going to be absolutely frightening! If you don't drive it, you'll lose 75kCHF minimum. If you DO drive it, say 5k in the first year, you'll lose 150kCHF... After that, it becomes affordable.

But, as you say, if your pockets are deep enough not to worry about that, then I'm sure it's a gorgeous vehicle. Grigio Titanio is a great colour for these cars - I saw one up close in May.

Onno

1 - 13 of 13 Posts