Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I think it is a common problem on 550's and 456's, that over time the driver and passenger window glass 'drops' a little inside its mountings or whatever, meaning that the door is never fully sealed against wind noise etc when fully wound up. It becomes really noising at 140mph :steeringwheel:!

Is it possible to take off the door panel and fix this myself, considering I am not much of a mechanic, or is it best left to a professional?

if it is possible, any advice?

Thanks

Alex

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Hi All

I think it is a common problem on 550's and 456's, that over time the driver and passenger window glass 'drops' a little inside its mountings or whatever, meaning that the door is never fully sealed against wind noise etc when fully wound up. It becomes really noising at 140mph :steeringwheel:!

Is it possible to take off the door panel and fix this myself, considering I am not much of a mechanic, or is it best left to a professional?

if it is possible, any advice?

Thanks

Alex
It is definitely a common problem on both. I tried to sort it myself once on the 456 GT. Effort was not successful and I ended up taking it to a pro.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
From what I understand it is a quite involved process and expensive to fix. I have heard $5K-$7K!

There was a posting somewhere about a shop in Florida that has it worked out.

I'll see if I can find that post and info.

Ok try this:

The shop is called Formula 1 Imports and Exotics located in Naples, Florida.
Tel. (239) 430 2206 Jason is the contact and Erik is the technician.

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
From what I understand it is a quite involved process and expensive to fix. I have heard $5K-$7K!

There was a posting somewhere about a shop in Florida that has it worked out.

I'll see if I can find that post and info.

Ok try this:

The shop is called Formula 1 Imports and Exotics located in Naples, Florida.
Tel. (239) 430 2206 Jason is the contact and Erik is the technician.
Above is for a permenent fix. Your local shop should be able to realign the window which will work for 6-12 months before the problem re-emerges.

·
Registered
6,404 Posts

·
Registered
6,209 Posts
Above is for a permenent fix. Your local shop should be able to realign the window which will work for 6-12 months before the problem re-emerges.
+1

Permanent: NO.

There is a wheel/pulley inside the front portion of the window that makes the glass slide fwd/backward even after the fix, given time. I have some info on the fix.

My 456 had the official Ferrari window treatment which if done on one's own cost in the near $8/for both windows. But that wheel wears after time due to more use.

That is why, in my research, I've seen the driver's side always be the problem the most, RHD vs LHD it is on the driver's side. Passenger's side as in mine is NOT a problem.

I will try to post, some of the pictures, hijacked from 'another site' sorry, it's on the web now and privacy aside, well, tough...open territory.

I'll bet even after your fix, if you put one palm on the inside of the glass and the other palm on the outside of the glass and press palms together with glass between them you can manually move that glass fwd/backward in the up position on the troubled window, while on the 'good/better' window it has less play.

The 'fix' requires taking off the inner panel and replacing the wheel in the front, upper portion of the glass channel and that will make for a tight seal.

HOWEVER, check the B-pillar for loose or poorly done stripping too as that can cause problems.

rik

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Ouch!

I thought only Ford had these problems!
No, it was a major issue on the 456 GT when new. Not as common on 550s or 456M GTs. No problem builing a car that will do 180 mph, but getting a window to seal properly, that was a major issue. Goes back to Enzo philosophy, I sell engines.... you get the body for free (which in many cases was fair market value).

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's a 10 minute job
Onno
I like the sound of that. So can I do this myself, or better still left to the experts?

My only work I have been able to do on the 550 myself was snipping the seatbelt warning sensor. Best thing I ever did!

·
Registered
374 Posts
got rid of this stuff by changing the whole mechanism, about 1.000 euro
Now the car is silent inside

·
Registered
6,404 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
This is the mechanism that was replaced. The job was done at the dealership, the unit cost about 500Euro plus labor plus VAT, altogether about 1k.

Attachments

·
Registered
374 Posts
it's a replacement Ferrari unit. the other one had some barely perceptible play, but enough to prevent adequate sealing.

·
Registered
374 Posts
This is what's on the box

Attachments

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
it's a replacement Ferrari unit. the other one had some barely perceptible play, but enough to prevent adequate sealing.
Hello agp22, how are you doing ?! Great to have you back after quiet some time!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts