Ferrari Life Forum banner

601 - 620 of 660 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
550/575/456 Red LED lamp

Hi there - does anyone have any good leads for a replacement immobiliser siren (Red LED flashing and wont turn off when running on 456M) at a sensible cost?
Cheers, Philip

·
Registered
156 Posts
" Carrozzeria Scaglietti Ferrari catalogue "

Gianni- Affirmative, the Scaglietti options introduced in late 97/early98 included the racing seats.

Also, many folks do refer to the 18" modulars as "Barchetta wheels", even though that is not technically correct. On the 575s, in contrast, nobody refers to the 19" modulars as "Superamerica wheels" because so many more owners specified those wheels for the 575M when they became available around Fall/Winter 2001 (~SN 130000). Not too many 550 owners ordered them early in production, likely because the dealers did not really push (or perhaps even know about) the Scaglietti options.
" Carrozzeria Scaglietti Ferrari catalogue " 1899/03
-> Maranello Schumacher edition. - Ferrari

ZFFZR49B000116084
https://www.prinsclassics.nl/aanbod/ferrari-550-maranello-schumacher-edition_1866/?order=datum-nieuwst

·
Registered
296 Posts
" Carrozzeria Scaglietti Ferrari catalogue " 1899/03
-> Maranello Schumacher edition. - Ferrari
[/URL]
Hello Bay,

Many thanks the above link...great information! It lists the exact options that I found in a 1999 550...unbelievable that they called it a "Michael Schumacher Edition" (or at least that what this web page claims).

For everyone's convenience here, I have translated the information on this web page from French to English with a few notes, as follows.

Ferrari 550 Maranello - Michael Schumacher Edition

The 550 Maranello is an exciting car that brings together sporting benefits and great driving pleasure. In order to be closer to Formula 1, the use of carbon-fiber for the interior, the adoption of racing seats, the protection of the 4-point safety belts, and the roll-bar, all add to its character of extreme sportiness. Michael Schumacher

1. Safety cockpit for the road (except USA, Canada and Australia) with racing seats entirely in leather.
Editor Note: I think “Safety cockpit for the road” means having a roll-bar. I have also seen 550 racing seats with the center in cloth and bolsters in leather, but these are "entirely in leather".
2. 4-point adjustable safety belts (except USA, Canada and Australia).
3. Carbon-fiber rigid (open) pockets on doors.
4. Carbon-fiber dashboard.
5. Carbon-fiber door thresholds with "Ferrari" placard in aluminum and carbon-fiber sleeve on hand brake.
6. Carbon-fiber transmission tunnel cover and gear lever ball, with dedicated silver plate.
7. Removable rims (available current 1998).
Editor Note: I think this means 2-piece rims.
8. Rosso corsa color brake calipers.
9. Fire extinguisher.

Has anyone seen a 550 with ALL of these options?

Regards,
Gianni

Reactions: bay
452 Posts
452 Posts
Gianni,
please find attached a scanner of a 1998 Italian "auto capital" magazine where are explained the special versions "carrozzeria scaglietti" that was available for the 550, 456 and 355, signed by thre different persons, 550 from Shumacher, 456 from Pininfarina and 355 from Cayard..

I could send a big size file only by email, if need please PM

That waht i found.

Fabio

Attachments

·
Registered
156 Posts
Gianni,
please find attached a scanner of a 1998 Italian "auto capital" magazine where are explained the special versions "carrozzeria scaglietti" that was available for the 550, 456 and 355, signed by thre different persons, 550 from Shumacher, 456 from Pininfarina and 355 from Cayard..

That waht i found.

Fabio
Ciao Fabio , look ;)
Maranello Schumacher edition. - Ferrari

452 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Gianni,

That waht i found.

Fabio
Ciao Fabio,

Mille grazie! Perfecto!

Saluti,
Gianni

·
Registered
23 Posts
2001 550 Maranello

Color: Argento over black
LHD
Mileage: 48,700
Chassis no: 125554

Attachments

Reactions: bay

·
Registered
296 Posts
Exchanging my 1997 550 for a 1999 550 FHP

Hello All,

After searching 3 years for my first Ferrari, I bought a 1997 550 last year, titanio-grigio over rosso. Enjoyed driving it every minute this past summer. Dream come true!

Recently, I came across a 1999 550 with FHP for sale and the temptation was just too great, so I bought it. It's a bianco (white) over rosso (red). Although I'm not be big fan of white Ferraris, it does look good with the red interior (black piping), which I really liked in my titanio-grio 550. I also went from 60,000 km to 25,000 km. My grigio-titanio 550 will soon be for sale at the local Ferrari dealership (it's in pristine condition since I spared no money to make it perfect, send me an PM if you're interested).

I'm a bit concerned about the lower riding height of the FHP, since I was bottoming-out often in the regular suspension. It made me curse each time!

Although I have not been able to find any production data on the number of 550 FHP made, I do know that after researching them for more than 4 years now, there are very (very) few of them that come up for sale.

I should be able to drive my new 500 FHP next spring (probably May) when I return from overseas and I will share my driving experience with you then.

In he interim, if anyone has a 550 FHP, I'd love to hear about your experiences with it. (Fabio, I think you had one.)

Regards,
Gianni

Attachments

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Red interiors are very susceptible to lighting etc. when photographed. Your two look different - are they actually, or is that just down to lighting level disparities between the two photographs?

I have never come across a 550 with FHP. What are the differences from the normal one?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Red interiors are very susceptible to lighting etc. when photographed. Your two look different - are they actually, or is that just down to lighting level disparities between the two photographs?

I have never come across a 550 with FHP. What are the differences from the normal one?
I was not aware that the factory made 550's with FHP. Taz?

·
Registered
296 Posts

Hello John,

You are correct, it's a photography lighting discrepancy...but they are the identical interior red colour. The first photograph is more representative of the actual colour, where under the sunlight, it's a "bright" red, rather than a "burgundy wine" red or a "dull" red as shown in the 2nd photo.

The 550 with FHP has a much stiffer suspension and the car is lower to the ground (which makes speed bumps even more hazardous!). I believe it is the identical suspension as in the 575M FHP.

The “Fiorano Handling Package” is not easy to identify because there are no special markings on either the 550 or 575M. You must check under the bonnet or under the car for:

a. front coil spring part number 175886,
b. back coil spring part number 175887,
c. power steering ECU part number 175891, or
d. rear stabilizer bar diameter is 21 mm (standard rear bar is 17 mm).

I have not been able to find any information about the 550 FHP production numbers, but it must be relatively small since they are very rare to find for sale. Likewise, as soon as I found this 550 FHP with low km and in very good condition, I jumped at it, even though a "white Ferrari" is not near the top of my preferred exterior colour list. Although the contrasting white/red combination does make it "pop" a bit more.

Regards,
Gianni

·
Registered
296 Posts
Hello John,

I forgot to mention that, surprisingly, the full red dash (both upper and lower) in the grigio-titanio 550 was not a distraction, even in the bright sunlight. At least I didn't find it distracting. I liked the general appearance of the "full red" interior in real-life since it's a real "eye-popper" and invoked LOTS of comments which made it cool to own.

The white 550 has the standard black upper dash, with lower dash in red, which offers a different look with a 2nd interior colour, and in my opinion, matches well with the black piping on the seats.

Now if it had the optional carbon fiber interior, racing seats, and roll bar, they would make it perfect! There's one out there somewhere...just have to find it :nerd:

Regards,
Gianni

·
Registered
226 Posts
I like the white

Mileage does not bother me :wink4:

I'm quite sure i have the best running Ferrari in the country !

Cheers,

And happy new year to all :)

Attachments

601 - 620 of 660 Posts