Ferrari Life Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking out of the window at the miserable weather got me thinking that it might be fun to go off-roading/mud plugging when the sports cars can't come out to play.

The question is, what with?

I was thinking something...

1. Cheap so < GBP 5k
2. Comfortable-ish
3. Reliable
4. PAS is a must - for when it is on the road ;)
5. Competent

the motors that come to mind are

1. Jeep Wrangler
2. Land Rover Defender - although a late one (2000- ) of these is min GBP10k

Welcome any suggestions.

·
Premium Member
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was having the Petrol v Diesel debate in my head - I know diesel is better value cost/MPG trade-off, but I like the power of the petrol engine, not sure...?

I have never really driven an LPG conversion - what's it like?

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
T1f, what about a series 1 Disco V8, it should have PAS and might fall in the £5K region.
Or a LR Defender V8, not sure about PAS as they are very agricultural.

Or an old Mitsubishi Shogun/Pajero or Toyota Land Cruiser - being Japanese they will never break down.

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
I'm a Jeep guy, I've got two of them currently. An '82 CJ7 that my Dad bought brand new and I took it away from him and rebuilt it for off-road use and a '69 Commando that I use for a yard truck. I have also owned a YJ and a TJ. I've belonged to a couple of Jeep clubs also for off-roading. I think the stock Jeep Wrangler is the best "out-of-the-box" on and off road vehicle you can buy for the money.
My second choice, given your requirements, would probably be a Subaru. Mind that you are not going to take this thing rock climbing or mud bogging, but if you want a mild off-road experience or just want to get through some nasty weather safely, comfortably and confidently for not a lot of money than the Subaru is a good option. They are very popular here in Maine.

·
Administrator
15,181 Posts
T1f, what about a series 1 Disco V8, it should have PAS and might fall in the £5K region.

Or an old Mitsubishi Shogun/Pajero or Toyota Land Cruiser - being Japanese they will never break down.
I second the LR Disco reco. I have had one for over ten years. It spends most of the year sitting. Despite this it starts every time. Built like a tank.

·
Premium Member
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I second the LR Disco reco. I have had one for over ten years. It spends most of the year sitting. Despite this it starts every time. Built like a tank.
I never seriously considered the Disco, thought it might be too 'civilised' and had heard negatives about reliability. I'll take a better look.
Boxer, is yours the V8 or the Diesel?

I thought about a Landcruiser, but both the Amazon and Colorado are too big for what I want, like the look of the mid 80's/early 90's SWB 'Cruiser but most seem worn out and apparent good ones still go for GBP2-4k! I recently drove a new FJ Cruiser - that was cool - love the looks and the power! But outta my league for this game.

I think the stock Jeep Wrangler is the best "out-of-the-box" on and off road vehicle you can buy for the money.
My second choice, given your requirements, would probably be a Subaru.
The Wrangler is def on my list, I too have heard good things about its on/off road prowess. The one's I have driven on road are pretty good, my dad used to have a ex-WWII Willys way back when... and he has fond memories about it to this day. I think the Sub is def an accomplished motor, but reckon it might get bogged down in the swamp if what I am imagining is anything to go by!!

Pete, would you go for the square lamp/leaf spring model or the round lamp/coil spring model?

I think i'll start off taking a closer look at the Disco (maybe a TD5 - more power!!) or the Wrangler (4.0 - Empty wallet!!).

Thanks guys - any other suggestions welcome. Also any opinions on lift kits? and other must haves for mud-plugging?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.