Votes: 90 69.2%
  • 456 GT

Votes: 40 30.8%
1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, we have a poll with the 360 vs the 550.

Now I was checking prices for Ferraris here in Brazil and I saw that the 456 GT is costing the same of a F355 (both from 1994): around US$ 160k

I know they are different cars for different purposes, but which would be your choice? V8 or V12?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Although I've driven a 355F1 several years ago, and yes, it is a rush, and I've never driven a 456, V12 is more my thing, and even under the present circumstances (not knowing what's the 456 like) I'd still go for the V12.

Even if it's a fire-breathing V8, to me, nothing compares to a Howling HOT V12.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I absolutely Love the 355 - One of the most wonderful Ferrari's ever made.

Currently I have a V12 456 GTAM - I have Kids and due to requiring an Auto due to an injury the 456 GTA was nearabouts the only car I could afford and had 2+2 Combo and allowed me to drive a Ferrari - the 400i (a tad too old) and 612 at the time just too expensive. For me the 456 GTAM its the Perfect Car. It has a Tubi and has enough roar - So I Vot for the 456, stilll looks not too bad either.

I was with some great Ferrari Owners in London and the Noises from all their V8s was fantastic.

Must say very odd poll though :) but for me having driven the V12 its a great joy. If It was just me and my Wiffe then the V8 would be great to own and listen too. But will have to be an F1 Spider :)

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Well...I don't even think I need to say why I picked the F355:D I have been on more than one rant about the car already:D

Chris

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
355 cause it was based on the best Ferrari ever the 348..:eek: ..:D

·
Registered
6,404 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I owned a 335 GTS................fantastic car.....then sold it to buy a 456........also fantastic, but to refined for me. it was like driving a :thumbup: Mercedes SLK, smooth, soft ride, quiet, and although very quick, quite boring. sold that and now have another 355 Spider. Exciting, noisy, and great fun

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
I owned a 335 GTS................fantastic car.....then sold it to buy a 456........also fantastic, but to refined for me. it was like driving a :thumbup: Mercedes SLK, smooth, soft ride, quiet, and although very quick, quite boring. sold that and now have another 355 Spider. Exciting, noisy, and great fun
My experience with the 456 GT was similar. Too refined for my taste.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My experience with the 456 GT was similar. Too refined for my taste.
so you went completely to the other side and got the F40? hehehehehe

it's even kind of ironic to think you had both luxurious and refined Ferraris, but it seems like you made up your mind and chose the dark side of the force :D

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
I have a wife and two kids, guess which one I'd go for.

Yep, the 355. If we want to go out as a family we'll take her people carrier, and when my son and I want to go out for a blast we'll take the two seater.

There would be no point me taking my wife out in a Ferrari, she'd constantly be nagging me to slow down:rolleyes:

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have a wife and two kids, guess which one I'd go for.

yep, the 355. If we want to go out as a family we'll take her people carrier, and when my son and I want to go out for a blast we'll take the two seater.

There would be no point me taking my wife out in a Ferrari, she'd constantly be nagging me to slow down:rolleyes:
:D you are right :D

or just put tubi's on the 355 so you can't hear the wife...(or anything else..)

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
:D you are right :D

or just put tubi's on the 355 so you can't hear the wife...(or anything else..)
During the two years I had the 328, she never once sat in it or even asked if she could go in it. It was very much mine and my sons toy. She's happy with her Renault Scenic

·
Registered
224 Posts
Have a 612 which is great for the family, and would still choose it over these two, but having driven the 456 in my search, and a 355 manual on the track, I would take the 355 which I think is a great car, just as long as you don't need more than two seats.

The 456 just didn't do it for me!!

·
Registered
453 Posts
Heres my take on the debate. I am one of the few fortunate enough to actually drive the 456GA in the environment it was originaly designed for. Long distance high speed driving across Europe with a family in style:grin:
Two years ago i took my family almost 3000 miles across Europe through the Alps, Lakes and on to Mananello. Now i have driven 5 different models of Ferrari across Europe, and i must say that the 456 was the most comfortable easy drive that i have ever done long distance in a Ferrari (well taking the bosses 599 from Portugal to Mabella was also great). And all with out any problems what so ever.
It very easily took my lady and my two teenage sons (12+13)and full luggage very easily. At times on the AutoStrada i was cruising at over 150mph in comfort and Ferrari style. Also being that the car was a GTA it was automatic. I was grateful of that fact when we hit the Alps and some corners were both very steep with sharp angles. With sheer drops over the edge if i got it wrong as cars were coming the other way:jesus:, i was glad both my hand were on the wheel.
The car was equipped with a pair of Tubi boxes that sounded fantastic at low revs but not at all good in the 5-9 mile tunnels in the Alps.
In Maranello as soon as my family steped out to go into the Hotel Planet, people were all over it:thumbsup:
The 456 is an epic epic car that i would with no hesitation have my self. As a long time 355 spider owner, the 355 especialy the spider is also an epic epic car:thumbsup:
So i cant vote on this one because the Ferraris are both very very different animals. You alone must make the final decision your self. Good luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
The real question here is not which to buy. It is the actual reserve in the buyer's budget.

They are vastly different cars and vastly different in maintenance costs.

The 355 is sleek and hot; the 456 is sleek.

The 355 is a greatly exciting car;the 456 is more of a slightly more conservative road car.

Both great cars and both have the ability to bite the buyer's rear end quite well for major services.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts