Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The seat back of my 456 does not tilt backwards anymore.

When using the seat from the electric switch it happily tilts forward, but not backwards.
It tries to go for a second but something mechanical prevents it from going.

I am afraid to play with it much longer as the seat is already in a very uncomfortable angle.

If I tilt it from the engress switch and then back again, or do whatever with the othes swiches, there is no help.

Any advise appreciated,

Erkki

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
A few suggestions:

- pull the seat forward using the back release (as if you were getting into the back seats) and then push it back into place. The seat memory may think it is in a different position than it really is. With the back tilted forward, also check to see that nothing has gotten caught in the motor mechanism and is jamming it.

- disconnect the fuse for the seats. After a few minutes, reconnect. See if the memory clears and if it will go back into place.

Otherwise you will probably need to take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much for your reply!!

I will try the things you suggested. I hope I can really see to the mechanism when the seat is tilted forward.
I have just recently bought the car, my first Fcar ever so I do not know that much about them.

I suppose the fuses are in the engine bay? I'll take a look in the manual.
I forgot to mention that as I have just recently bought the car but have not been able to register it yet, I have had the battery disconnected.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a lot for the info!

Yes, I have the owners manual.
I was not able to check this out yesterday but will do it asap and let you know how I get along.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi,

I had to take it to the dealer to get it sorted, which was OK as the service was due soon anyway and they did a nice budget solution for this issue.
They changed a potentiometer IIRC, which was worth good 100€. The drawback is that now the automatic return to the original position after tilting the seat does not work anymore. The solution suited my budget then, and now as well as this flaw has not bothered me since.

can try to find the exact part number if you need.

Cheers,

·
Registered
3 Posts
456 electrical seat - potentiometer failure

Had the same problem on my seat. There seems to be a design mistake in this potentiometer - more in the connection of the potentiometer to the drive train of the seat. 100€ is a lot for a 5 cent part that failed. If there ar more users that have this problem, I may look to get some of these connectors be manufactured. The attached pictures show one of the two potentiometers in the seat that most often fail. You can replace the little "white part" without dismantling the potentiometer completely (.. it´s quite some effort to get the whole part dismanteled, as you have to open up the whole seat for this). On the last picture you see a little opening where you can access from outside the potentiometer to set it up. The "white part" is a coupling with overload functionality - it just slips if the potentiometer has reached the 270 deg angle to avoid a damage. depending in what position the coupling breakes, the seat rest might not work.
Hope this helps. George

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
If that is the same as the 355 seat potentiometer (and it looks like it) you can get the same part from Jaguar real cheap here. Not sure about Europe but I would imagine it is the same.

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
If that is the same as the 355 seat potentiometer (and it looks like it) you can get the same part from Jaguar real cheap here. Not sure about Europe but I would imagine it is the same.
Don't know what part in the 355 your refer, but the part of gear in 456 only fits the GT and MGT models.

http://www.eurospares.co.uk/partTable.asp?M=1&Mo=568&A=2&B=31337&S=

see parts # 4, 6, and 7 then click on #7 then click in smaller window on "Will This Fit My Car? (Click To Find out) "

I agree, there may be a simpler non-OEM solution. Shoot, there are probably standard gears etc. out there or DIY re-wires. But these SEATS!!!! I just wish they were mechanical. They are trouble.

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
BUMP : Well, tried to repair and.......

Tried to get one of the seats to work properly for the rear-entry switch.

Noted all the above comments.
1. Remove the 'wrap' around with the side control swtiches which is quite easy. Just pull, there are some expand plugs that go into holes. Sort of a snap and push thing.
2. Remove the beauty caps on rear seat-back near bottom and remove the two screws that hold the seat back bottom in place.
nothing will be much gained by this. But without removing such you cannot gain access to 3, 4 below.
3. Remove the seat belt beauty cap, and bolt 17mm [if I remember] from side bottom.
4 Using a small allen wrench, undo the same leather cap that houses where that belt was bolted. [have taken numerous pics, but not ready to post them yet], will do so soon, the bold is best done via a mirror under rear seat....otherwise you are NOT that thin. DON'T be afraid to rotate this leather covered item. It will be ok.
5. Undo the allen bolt holding the rear seat motor cap which is just rear of #4 and below the seat back near the door. This is where the seat back loosing comes in handy for #4 & 5.

The allen bolts are buggers to get into. UNLESS you use a mirror like I did: went easy after that.

You will notice a lever switch [again, I have the pic, will post later] that is triggered by the upper handle on the seat top, back. I've used almost the exact items from Radio Shack.
The top 'switch' is nothing more than a sort of bicycle like lever that pulls a cord, that rotates a cam against the lever switch. Mine worked fine.
The switch is the key. Seems easy to replace from anyone.

Tracing out the wires from that lever switch to the control unit was a bear, but it is wrapped about the bottom, back rod via zip ties.
When I ran my hand under the rear back and found the wire, it sort of made a 'beeping' sound. Hmmmm, could this be a short?

unplugging the control unit under the seat [easy to get to BTW, just undo the seat bottom straps] did nothing for my top seat control unit problem: Perhaps I need to let it drain more, and unplug all wires at same time....stay tuned.

TIME: about 50min.
TOOLS : pair of pliers, two diff. allen wrenches VERY small ones, like 1/16/18 inch [mm?], screw driver [ratchet is best], 17mm stubbie, mirror, and a parts container to keep it all

I took off the lever switch to check it out [part numbers and mfgr or on side facing the seat...will post later] via a small allen wrench. Tried to get a continuity test, but couldn't find MMeter or even desire to make up a light bulb tester, so just ran a wire across the connectors to see if that did anything and of coures: NOT.

My seats go fwd back fine, it's the top rear entry that's the problems. will keep informed

AND when, IF I fix, will do my 8x10 glossies .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts