Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I currently drive a Maserati CC Coupe as my Daily. I'm really considering purchasing a 456M but there is such limited info available as far as being a daily driver or any info at all for that matter. The one I have my eye on is an auto I much rather prefer having a manual for my first ferrari but I'm flexible. I just have so many questions. Heck, I can't even find a youtube video with a review. Just 20 second clips of the exhaust... A few of the questions I have are as follows:

1. How is the auto transmission I "DRIVE" my cars. No garage queens over here. And I do get the urge to hop on Lake Shore Drive and get on it quite often. Seems as though the maserati loves. I see 120+ mph at least once a week. Does the Auto keep up? And how quick is it off the line?

2. Reliability? How is it in comparison to the Maserati or any car for that matter? The maser has been pretty decent to me. Some quirks here and there but hell, it's italian.

3. Maintenance (kinda falls undner number 2). Let's say I put 12k a year on her....REAL mileage, what should I plan to come out of. I am pretty handy around a garage I do all my own work on my Maserati just as I have on my xkr, sc400, s-type, etc. So I don't plan to pay Ferrari $300 plus for fluid changes so you can leave that out of your maintenance calculations.

4. The ugly. Anything I might want to know now or keep an eye out for while I'm shopping.

I see alot of available info for the 612 and from what I hear its great just expensive. Most reviews say it seems like it would preform great as a daily. Similar to a cl, xkr, etc. Are there any 612 owners on here that have owned both and would like to chime in?

Thanks in advance. I'm looking to see if any local dealer has one in stock that I can take a look at. But I often run into the issue of dealers that look at me and tend to act funny as if I can't afford it Yah I'm young (22), afro american, and unless I'm meeting with a client I'm going to wear jeans and a t-shirt. But the way the judge erks the $#i% out of me.

Anyways thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Howdy,

I don't have 456 experience, but I own a 550 so let me see if I can shed some light from a skew angle.

If you go for a 456M instead of the 456GT, I expect reliability to be close to that of the 550 which was built during the same era. And 550's tend to be bulletproof. Very little goes wrong with them and they are well engineered. It is very rare for anything to go wrong with drivetrain or engine, and the 456's engine is the one that the 550's was based on.

Being another 12 cylinder Ferrari of the late '90s, maintenance cost should be on a par with the 550 as well. You can change the fluids yourself but it won't save you that much really. The real costs are tyres (7000m for rears if you are having fun now and again), gas (count on 14 mpg), servicing costs (you need a Ferrari licensed computer to service the engine so independents have a hard time), and unforeseen damage to anything. Replacing even a little item on a Ferrari is very expensive so it pays to take good care of your car. In my budget I've got a 10,000 euro bill factored in for every 20,000 miles. I haven't owned my 550 long enough to see if I will be that unlucky, but I'd rather be pessimistic than be surprised.

What should you expect in terms of cost? I've done all the calcs in detail and I've arrived at a running cost of $1.5 per km, or $2.25 per mile. This is for a European car with none of your lovely cheap gas prices so you're probably looking at around $2 bucks a mile. This includes everything (insurance, gas, maintenance, and so on) EXCEPT depreciation. You can save a little bit by doing some work yourself but I doubt it'll make much of a dent.

Regarding the auto transmission - the main reason that comes up is because of the price IF it fails. I seem to remember you're looking at $30,000 to replace it. It's built for the job and I believe they rarely fail but I HAVE seen someone on a forum that had his blown and wasn't too happy about it.

As for driving it, personally I would never buy a Ferrari with an auto, but I don't think there are any issues with the 456 auto. Off the line you should be getting to 60 in between 5.1 to 5.5 sec (depending on which figures you believe), and 13.4 for the 1/4 mile which is quick in anybody's book. At 120mph the car won't even have woken up yet. I've done 165mph in the 550 so far and except for a bit of wind noise it doesn't phase the car at all.

Hope this helps a bit.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Administrator
15,147 Posts
Here is a copy of a post I made on a 456 GT:

Happy to share my experience. On the positive side it is a very comfortable car to drive great distances in. I drove mine from one end of Spain to the other in a day and did not need an appointment with the chiropraticer afterwards. Engine is terrific; it is fast rather than quick due to the weight of the car. At 100 mph the 456 GT just sits on the highway eating up the miles. 2 adults and 2 kids fit comfortably and it has enough luggage room for a couple of decent size bags. You can even jam 2 adults in the back for short trips. For a 12 cylinder Ferrari, they are reasonable to buy. IMHO, definitely one of Pininfarinas best designs.

On the negative, I thought that they were full depreciated but turned out to be wrong. In the year I had the car, I lost $$$ on depreciation. The window seals are crap and wind noise at high speed is just part of the cars charm. I understand that they more or less fixed this on the 456 M GT. I bought a car with a full service history that had been well cared for by both the prior owners. Despite this I still ended up spending quite a bit on maintenance which included a clutch replacement, new horn, minor electrical problem rectifications, seat motor repairs, etc. All in, by far the most expensive Ferrari I have owned.

In the end however the decision to sell was as much based on the personal preference as it was cost. To drive, the 456 GT does a lot of things really well. Probably too well for my taste. It is the only Ferrari I have owned where I always had the stereo on vs the others where I find myself listening to the engine etc. Net net, we did not bond. I had similar experience with the 911.

If you do decide to buy a 456 GT, go through the car with a microscope yourself first. Make sure everything electrical works not only when the car is sitting on the driveway, but also when pushing it hard on the road. Wiring on these can be an issue and connections that seem OK when sitting, come loose the first bump you hit in the road. The rear shocks are another weak point and will need replacing at some point in the 1st decade. Make sure this has been done as it is a $$$$ job. The clutches are fairly strong but when they start to go, the end is quick. Make sure it is in good condition with a lot of life left. The engine mounts and steering rack also degrade over time. One telling sign is if the nose dives when you hit the brakes. Make sure the stereo works properly as they are near impossible to replace. They are no longer made. After you have done all this, then I would get a Ferrari trained mechanic you trust to do a full Pre Purchase Inspection. The cost of fixing anything on a 456 GT is more than the PPI cost.

·
Administrator
15,147 Posts
I often run into the issue of dealers that look at me and tend to act funny as if I can't afford it Yah I'm young (22), afro american, and unless I'm meeting with a client I'm going to wear jeans and a t-shirt.
Despite being well... a few years older...I run into the same problem all the time. I tend to walk into dealerships wearing jeans and a T-Shirt and then get promptly ignored.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
It's wrong that people pre-judge a person by the way they look, but I bet we all do it sometimes.
A car salesman once told me that he treats everyone the same, but is usually more sceptical of guys who walk in wearing a suit. He said the people in suits are often just killing time and talk a good talk but rarely buy, and if they do they always finance the car to the max. Whereas people who come in wearing jeans and sneakers are usually there for a genuine reason and buy more often, and normally in cash.
He claimed that once an old guy in scruffy overalls and wellington boots, looking like he needed a good hosedown, came into his Porsche dealership. The salesman welcomed him, got him a cup of coffee and started talking, like he would do any other client. The client asked him how much the brand new 911 was. The salesman said it was XXXXX, and the old guy said wait a minute. He left the showroom, and came back 5 minutes later with a polythene carrier bag in his hand. He went to the salesman and said can I have two of those, a black one for me and a red one for my daughter, and then pulled out bundles and bundles of £20 notes from his carrier bag.
It turned out that this scruffy man was a very wealthy farmer.

I don't know if it's a true story, but there is a good morale to it.

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
It's wrong that people pre-judge a person by the way they look, but I bet we all do it sometimes.
The question these days is: how do you treat a guy who doesn't show up in your shop at all? I bought my car without ever having walked in the dealership I bought it from. Am I mad? Could be, but I don't think so.

1. The guy who owns the business has a sterling reputation in Ferrari circles.
2. When asked for pictures almost the only he sent were of things wrong with it. Details of scratches, peeling off of coating, details of leather.
3. The car had a great history
4. The car was inspected by my brother and father who were well treated when entered the shop
5. Several forumfriends went and looked the car over

All I am saying is that I got completely ignored by some businesses despite repeated attempts at contact, and others I was immediately treated as a serious client on the basis of 1 e-mail. I can tell you, that makes a big impression on someone. I now have several dealers that I have a very good feeling about, as they tried their best to give me any info remotely they could. They seemed like people you want to buy a car from.

All I'm saying is: if you are in this business, you have to treat everyone who approaches you with respect. Answer serious enquiries over e-mail courteously, it may come back to bite you if you don't!

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys for all your assistance. I went by the Lamborghini in Hinsdale today. They didn't have any pre-owned 456's but they did have a 550. OMG that car is beautiful. It is what I really want but I do somewhat need 4 seats right now. I test drove an Astonn Martin Vanquish.NICE!!! When he started it I almost messed my pants. That car sounds perfect.
A true gentlemens car. When i drove it, it reminded me of my XKR but on steroids and bigger ba!!z. it was an 03 annd they were asking $120k. $116k for the 99 550

The salesman there (forgot his name) was great. i was completely bum'd out today. Jeans and a white T-shirt but he ad no probably showing me anything i wanted to see and treated me like a real customer. I somewhat wish he has exactly what i was looking for because I'd buy from him.

I leave there and head down the street to Ferrari. Totally different. Now obvioiusly I love Ferrari automobiles but the staff at all the stores I visit SUCK! As soon as I walk in a much "colder" feeling. So I just walk downstairs and pick up the oil filter for the Maser.

On the way out I see the salesman that I didn't allow to sell me my Maserati back in January. I asked him if he had any 456's he said no but he might know of one. Hell, I didn't even like the way he said that. I gave him my info and he said he'd contact me because there was a guy considering selling his 01 blk/tan for around $100k.

However on the way out there was a silver SuperAmerica outside....NICE! I'd like to see the top in motion tho.

Anyways if anyone knows of a 456 in the chicagoland or even indianapolis area please let me know i really need to drive one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
did they live happily ever after?

what happened? Did you get the 456 and was it a good daily driver? I am thinking about getting one to do about 10 miles a day and would appreciate your experiences.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As a matter of fact I didnt :( I continued to look for one and decided there was no way in hell I would by an AUTOMATIC ferrari. That to me is kind of like paying for a hooker who is on her.......... (only half the fun) :D

Plus IMO customer service at the local F Car dealer SUCKS.

That almost made me say to hell with the idea all together. But now I'm leaning towards a 550 as a daily. I think that may end up being my choice. There are some NICE deals floating around right now. I'll be sure to update you guys over the next couple weeks. Its about time to pull the trigger.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
nomorejags, the 550 seems like a great decision IMHO!

I hope you get it soon!! Good hunt!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Greetings all,

I'm a Maseratilife member and very happy owner of a Maserati Gransport. One of my family members is considering purchase of a 1999 456M GTA. I've researched the posts (have not yet read the buyer's guide) and would like to see if anyone can make any updated comments on this car. I'm most interested in comments on this model specifically as it's clear that in the 456 model history, reliability varies considerably.

Background: Car will be driven 2-3 days/week about 20 mile round trip, and out socially on occassion. 'Moderate' driving style. Owner is a 20-year Porsche 911 driver who's committed to owning something Italian before it gets too late! The particular car being considered has 16K miles, recently saw $10K in service including timing belt change.

Thanks very much in advance.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Nomorejags,

You finally made it over.

How about that F1 pump story?

When you get a Ferrari will your avitar then be Nomoremaserati's?

The 456 is a great car, and Rik Granucci can tell you quite a bit that may not have been offered. He knows the car very welll as he has a beauty in Fiorano red with tan interior.

The early models have a window alignment issue that's costly to fix but a wizard in Florida has a relatively less expensive fix.

One thing to remember is that it's 12 cylinders. So as a daily driver it can get a bit pricey.

They are fabulous cars and would not be surprised to see one in my garage in the near future.

Get active here and ask away anything else.

Welcome aboard.

BTW, "Yah I'm young (22), afro american, and unless I'm meeting with a client I'm going to wear jeans and a t-shirt."- Doesn't mean anything to us here. Everyone is welcomed regardles of all differences and you need not worry.

A guy that can use a wrench the way you do is all right regardless of what anyone says!!!!

·
Registered
6,214 Posts
How did I miss this thread

Hello,
I currently drive a Maserati CC Coupe as my Daily. I'm really considering purchasing a 456M but there is such limited info available as far as being a daily driver or any info at all for that matter. The one I have my eye on is an auto I much rather prefer having a manual for my first ferrari but I'm flexible. I just have so many questions. Heck, I can't even find a youtube video with a review. Just 20 second clips of the exhaust... A few of the questions I have are as follows:
IF stop and go traffic you'll not daily drive with a lot of glee a manual..I Know. You'll smile, but wish there were more open road.

1. How is the auto transmission I "DRIVE" my cars. No garage queens over here. And I do get the urge to hop on Lake Shore Drive and get on it quite often. Seems as though the maserati loves. I see 120+ mph at least once a week. Does the Auto keep up? And how quick is it off the line?
Auto off the line I can't say, I am NOT a quick off the line guy so can't comment there...I like teasing my prey and just eating them up with grace :) BTW, it is NOT a two seater screamer off the line. You want that, get an F1 360/430.

as for reaching top speeds, yup, must do it at least almost every time I drive...but I don't push 120, more like 90-100, short sprints....freeways are not that open, and I only push it to get away from situations to give me lots of room or get away from 'ricers' who feel they must get their NO2 always engaged.

Have some very open roads that I can see 1 mile + either way and relatively vacant, and those I do go faster and further for a jaunt...but mostly not. Oh, ya' both radars in 456 are on, imbeddedd one in grill and the windshield one.

2. Reliability? How is it in comparison to the Maserati or any car for that matter? The maser has been pretty decent to me. Some quirks here and there but hell, it's italian.
Maser, I'm thinking, better than older 456 or even the 612 in the reliability departments. BUT mine has been very steady with proper work done on it...as it's a '95, issues start to crop. MOTOR mounts, yours would be upgraded are important to protect much especially steering racks. Valve guides, on M have been improved and not much a problem, the radiator on older 456's are getting into issues, but I had a new one build for very little money. Hoses on M are upgraded too, so not much an issue. Bilstein adj. on the M are only two position vs 3 on the older 456. BUT they are Bilstein and my rebuilds cost about $250-300 to take out, rebuild, install and go < a week. M had the windows issue fixed, so not a problem. Seat ECU's a bit worked out, but not sure but think they were sorted. HVAC worked out on M, not on older 456's. Your M interior is superior in looks and function. You have no spoiler issues on M as it is fixed. Light motors 'might' happen, with the 'blinking/winking' syndrome, but easy fix: swap out the relay in fuse box when it happens and good to go.
ONE, IMPORTANT issue as they are cropping up now on the older 456's and now the 550's [one report on a 575] is the exhaust manifold going toast, literally. They fry, ask me how I know. Finding more come into the shop.

3. Maintenance (kinda falls undner number 2). Let's say I put 12k a year on her....REAL mileage, what should I plan to come out of. I am pretty handy around a garage I do all my own work on my Maserati just as I have on my xkr, sc400, s-type, etc. So I don't plan to pay Ferrari $300 plus for fluid changes so you can leave that out of your maintenance calculations.
I'm a believer in the 3 year, 30k rule but a LOT less expensive to do than my less performing Mondial-T/348 type. In SITU belt change and easy tune. Some say $80 for the pollen filter is no big deal: I blow mine out and good to go..pollen PFfffftttt, I eat poison for breakfast. ~= $5k MAX. with a certified shop...can get it for less...

I do yearly fluid changes on EVERYTHING. coolant, oil, brake, trany etc. I suggest the same especially those. Coolant in al radiator is a problem, CHANGE IT. PUT a battery tender on it, you'll need it for sure if not on for a week, you'll just need a boost. $300-600 MAX if shop, otherwise can do it yourself for a lot less, but USE GOOD Stuff, I use REDLINE, and never complain...actually you'll need GOOD STUFF.

Take as much extra '[email protected]' off the car as possible, like aftermarket alarms, etc. etc. IF must upgrade the radio, go for it.

4. The ugly. Anything I might want to know now or keep an eye out for while I'm shopping.
Buy the BEST example, and if you no choice on which 456, or if stick vs auto, then go for the M. You'll be sorting the older 456. I like stick but common 2nd gear skip when cold, just do the odd number shifting until warmed up.

I see alot of available info for the 612 and from what I hear its great just expensive. Most reviews say it seems like it would preform great as a daily. Similar to a cl, xkr, etc. Are there any 612 owners on here that have owned both and would like to chime in?
Not I, I plan to skip that model, just does nothing for me, would jump to a 599 in a flash if I could or 575/550 but no 612...strickly on a looks basis is my issue.

Thanks in advance. I'm looking to see if any local dealer has one in stock that I can take a look at. But I often run into the issue of dealers that look at me and tend to act funny as if I can't afford it Yah I'm young (22), afro american, and unless I'm meeting with a client I'm going to wear jeans and a t-shirt. But the way the judge erks the $#i% out of me.

Anyways thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
this doesn't seem to be an issue in most intl' or markets I frequent, but understand. Where are you, might have a better dealer to frequent.

rik

Greetings all,

I'm a Maseratilife member and very happy owner of a Maserati Gransport. One of my family members is considering purchase of a 1999 456M GTA. I've researched the posts (have not yet read the buyer's guide) and would like to see if anyone can make any updated comments on this car. I'm most interested in comments on this model specifically as it's clear that in the 456 model history, reliability varies considerably.

Background: Car will be driven 2-3 days/week about 20 mile round trip, and out socially on occassion. 'Moderate' driving style. Owner is a 20-year Porsche 911 driver who's committed to owning something Italian before it gets too late! The particular car being considered has 16K miles, recently saw $10K in service including timing belt change.

Thanks very much in advance.
Howdy, Get the guide, as it was my first and GOOD source for the overview, but does need some fleshing out on 'issues' etc. to make it a real guide.

See my M vs older GT comments above, and if you need more post your questions.

That amount of driving sounds VERY light and will barely get it warmed up. Porsches would fair better for that, but it's not a FERRARI and that's saying a LOT. You'll/[er, 'family member' :D , just kidding] will LOVE IT. 12 cylinders baby...that torque that feel, that comfort and room. Good for lots of fun with more than two people.

also, $10 k in service :::!!!!! would like to know what they did for that on an M, sounds way too high. really.

rik

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the comments everyone. A couple that we'll pay attention to:
- The low mileage drives (probably more like a 35 mile round trip but that probably doesn't matter much in the scheme of things
- The reason for 10k in service. The seller is an independent who primarily sells Porsches, so this warrants investigation.

And no, it isn't in fact me who's looking! My uncle, 12 years my senior, is pushing 60 and for some reason never logs on to M-life or F-life. So, I'm his surrogate investigator until he gets ready to take the plunge. As for me, I'm eyeing a 575 for my next wheels, hopefully in the next couple of years.

·
Registered
6,214 Posts
I'm eyeing a 575 for my next wheels, hopefully in the next couple of years.

Get it while they are low and well maintained....

rik

1 - 20 of 23 Posts