Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All. Been doing lots of research on this forum about replacing the clutch on my F430 F1. I am very confident working on cars and do all my own maintenance on the 430 and all my other cars. I think its very doable in my shop. I have a lift and engine hoist.

That being said......I see there is several special tools for clutch replacement mentioned in many threads on this forum . I assume I would need the Clutch Alignment Tool ? But what about the Clutch Pressure Plate Flywheel Lock Tool and the End of Stroke pin wrench? I plan on replacing the pins with new ones when I do the clutch. ( I should add I do have a Launch X431 to to the new clutch set up.)

Also I see Ricambi America has a complete clutch replacement kit. With Clutch ,TOB ,Pilot Bearing and a couple seals What other parts and seals do I need ? Is to necessary to replace the Clutch Release Bearing Flange ? Sorry for all the questions.

Any help would be appreciated........Stef has been a great help on past issues.......Maybe he will chime in on this one ? Thx. GL

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anybody ?

Well......I started the teardown on Friday. Going top replace TOB, TOB Flange ,F1 sensor, rear main seal, pilot bearing ,fly wheel resurface, flywheel bolts and Transmission mount. Also while I have it all apart and the "K" brace out I will do the valve cover seals and a few dried out oil breather lines. Easy to do then now rather than work under the "K" brace. Here is a few pics. Wish me luck !!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Stef

Yes I am replacing the TOB and the TOB Flange with the Hill Engineering parts. Got everything coming from Ricambi. I am pulling the Transmission out this weekend . I will post a few pics. Got a question about the resurfacing of the flywheel. Is there a Tapper or Concave grind to it ? Or can it be machined clean and flat ?

Also anyone know what the Clutch Configuration reading is on a Launch X431 ? I took some readings before starting this job. See attached The PIS I also recorded but I know I will need to play with that a bit after the new clutch goes in. The Clutch Configuration can be re-written also with the Launch . Not sure what parameters it changes? Is it the new clutch thickness ? Anyone know. Thx. GL

Attachments

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Greg, I believe it's tapper but need to be confirmed for the F430. The flywheel on the 360 seems to be tapper (thicker at the center). I didn't consider to resurface it and preferred to change the flywheel with a new one as it isn't that expensive. Make sure you change the pilot bearing with a new one (bearing at the center of the flywheel).

Regarding the Launch, I don't know what figure this is (I don't have one). From what I heard, not all figures on the Launch are accurate and are not always correctly calculated.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Stef

Thanks for the reply. Looks like a new fly wheel here in the states are about $2300 to $2500. That's quite a bit. If it was $500 or something like that I would buy new but seems like resurfacing is the way to go. Can't believe the flywheel would be shot after 22k miles. Also I know the Launch is not as accurate as the SD2 or SD3. But I have played with the PIS adjustment and it works fine. I think I probably will need to increase the PIS a little bit to compensate for a new clutch plate. Hope all is well in Switzerland. Weather is great here now and can't wait to get driving the car again. thx. GL

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Transmission is out.

Got the trans out today. The Thrust bearing wasn't too wet but it does seems there is a little leakage. It also doesn't pop back out when pushed in ? See attached pic (can't seem to attach a video) . I feel like it should pop back nice and smooth when pushed in ? What do you guys think ? GL

Attachments

·
Registered
967 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Looks like a new fly wheel here in the states are about $2300 to $2500. That's quite a bit. If it was $500 or something like that I would buy new but seems like resurfacing is the way to go. Can't believe the flywheel would be shot after 22k miles. Also I know the Launch is not as accurate as the SD2 or SD3. But I have played with the PIS adjustment and it works fine. I think I probably will need to increase the PIS a little bit to compensate for a new clutch plate. Hope all is well in Switzerland. Weather is great here now and can't wait to get driving the car again. thx. GL
Have the flywheel ground, maintain the step differential.

To do this job correctly, you must be able to read and/or input the "New clutch closed" position. The SD-3 or SDX has two menus to facilitate clutch replacement. I have zero knowledge of the Lauch tool or its capabilities. Setting PIS has nothing to do with establishing a baseline position. Once the NCC position is set, then you can adjust the PIS by watching the transaxle input speed, if you so desire.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks David.

The launch does have a window to "Write new value" for clutch configuration. (see pic) And it adjusts the PIS as well. I have played with that a bit when I was having clutch issues. So I know that works fine. My plan is to get the clutch back together and do a "Actuator relearn". Then I can get the "Closed clutch position" value. Then write that in the "clutch configuration" set up. Am I right about that ?? It will then become the "new closed clutch position". Basically reseting the clutch values to a new clutch. Does that sound right ??
Thx for the input!!! GL

Attachments

·
Registered
967 Posts
The launch does have a window to "Write new value" for clutch configuration. (see pic) And it adjusts the PIS as well. I have played with that a bit when I was having clutch issues. So I know that works fine. My plan is to get the clutch back together and do a "Actuator relearn". Then I can get the "Closed clutch position" value. Then write that in the "clutch configuration" set up. Am I right about that ?? It will then become the "new closed clutch position". Basically reseting the clutch values to a new clutch. Does that sound right ??
Thx for the input!!! GL
Basically, yes. Keep in mind that the condition of the flywheel is very important to getting the PIS set correctly and ensuring long clutch life. So definitely have it machined true or replace it (unlikely needed). Once you're reassembled, you'll run a clutch set-up and determine the NCC position. You'll input that value and rerun the program that determines the NCC position to ensure that the value did indeed get written. If your tool has the capability to reset the clutch wear index, now would be the time. (This feature occurred during the 430 production run, but I cannot recall when.) 4000 is the baseline number on a 430; above too much slip, below not enough slip.

In summary, all TCU calculations are based off of the NCC position. This is why it is so important.

On the annular bearing, any leakage or noise is unacceptable. Ricambi has great kits featuring the Hill Engineering products. That's all I'd use. The "snout" does not need to be replaced unless it is damaged...again, unlikely. When you're back together, a clutch bleed is essential. The pressure and volume of hydraulic fluid exiting the bleeders is impressive, so be forewarned...

Always found it fun reinstalling the transaxle...

David

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great advise.

The fly wheel is out for grinding now. Should get it back today. I am replacing all the parts with Hill Engineering where I can. Got the TOB, end of stroke pins, return springs, TOB flange (probably not needed but) pilot bearing, clutch assembly , new flywheel bolts and pressure plate bolts, new "O" rings where needed, new transmission bushing and new valve cover seals (easy to do now with everything apart). The launch will reset the Clutch Ware Index and do all the bleeding on the clutch. So I will definitely do that. I will also run the actuator bleed cycle several times while I have that off. I have all ready rebuilt the F1 pump, motor, accumulator and new EDiff valve. Hopefully it will be as good as new!!!!. The only thing the Launch doesn't do is the EDiff bleed. I have order the new tool from Stef at Scud Ing Swiss to do that. I will let you know how it goes and post a few pics of things going back together

See pic below. I think this has been my problem all along, besides the clutch been worn. Looks a bit wet. Small leak somewhere in the seals. It didn't move very freely on the flange either.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
If you can post the pic or video of the screens you you to set ncc etc on launch ..a big help for everyone

Thanks in advance

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As of now ......I don't believe there is a way to read clutch wear on the Launch X431. It does have a line in the "special function" section that says clutch wear, but when you go there it says clutch wear reading in the "Parameters" . Then go to parameters and it's not there ? My Launch is running 10.85 firmware .

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
New Closed Clutch Position.

See pic attached.

I believe the "Clutch Configuration" line in "Special Functions" is the setting to re write the NCC position. Haven't tried it yet but should have the clutch back in by Wednesday and will give it a shot. I will keep you posted.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The number you input in the number you get when you look up "closed clutch position" (Do not use the "Closed Clutch Position New" that is the old reference number from the old clutch). just after you install the new clutch and after to do a Clutch Actuator re learn. This number becomes the re set "Closed Clutch Position New" number. Then the TCU has a new reference point to start with. Thats how the clutch wear % is calculated........ Closed Clutch Position vs. Closed Clutch Position New.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts