Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The amber has worn off of my lense on my 400.Only on the one side.I guess the way it was parked caused it to go on the 1 and not the other.You obviously can not paint it cause you wont see the bulb light up.Any ideals.???

·
Registered
286 Posts
Bruno, I don't know your entire situation there because I haven't seen the lens. But the auto stores carry tape in red and also amber to repair broken lenses. You could put the amber tape on the inside of the lens and cover over the area that has oxidized and has no amber.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tried it.doesnt look right. You would think someone would be making a spray or restoring these things by now. I got to check Eastwood.Or I can get a new lense but Ferrari wants to sell the whole assembly not just the lense.Big $$$$$.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Bruno, Sometimes trying to fix it the easy way doesn't work. I would say look around and find one. This was just a suggestion since I didn't know what it looked like. Hope you find one. Try Butch Hooper at Italian Design and Racing.480-968-0421 He has some cars he parts out. Just a thought.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Hey Bruno, Here is another thought. This just occured to me. Have you ever heard of the fake leaded glass? My wife does some of it and the colors come in translucent colors that pour onto glass and give the impression of colored glass. You can get it at any craft store. Just put on with the dropper supplied with the color on the inside of the lens and let it dry. Take your lens in and match the color.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Another thought. Look for the water based product. There is a solvent based and a water based product. If you can only find the solvent based then test it on a area first that won't be seen.

·
Registered
575 Posts
If the lens is plastic - which most likely is - hobby/model stores carry a variety of clear paints suitable for use on plastics (for just the same reasons, to colour the lenses on model cars...).

Like Magoo said, try any product you get, first on a hidden part of the lens for compatibilty and if it works, air-brush it on.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Peter, there won't be any airbrushing the liquid glass that I was talking about. That stuff is very thick and is to be put on a surface with a eye dropper. The reason for the thickness is to give a thick surface that will carry the color and give a true amber. If it goes on too thin by spraying the light will be so bright it will penetrate the color and almost look white.

·
Registered
15 Posts
400 Lense $$$

Yep join the club. I have a 365 that has a slightly faded front right turn signal. I have check the normal used parts sources, but no luck. So far the lease expensive is T Rutlands in Atlanta ( they want around $400 ).

Let me know if you have any luck with other suppliers.

Thanks

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
$ 400.00 seems extreme. I figure on keeping it like it is as long as it's my driver. I ever restore for the show circuit then I'll pay through the nose for as lense.Probably twice as much by then.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Bruno, Did you try the liquid Glass suggestion I mentioned. It probably will work. There is every color you can imagine. It is made also in water based. Any art store, craft shop has it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts