Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is the car that began the V12 mid-engine boxer. Anyone have experience behind the wheel of one of these? If so care to tell me how it drives?

Also what else do you all know about this car? Maintance? Parts? Thanks.

·
Registered
575 Posts
The fellow who bought my GT4 brand-new back in '76, later on bought a 365 Boxer. He said it was the worst Ferrari he had. He had more mechanical failures with one than any other Ferrari he had before (and after). Dinoplex ignition, muffler, three alternators and a bunch of other stuff. After that car he went to a Daytona and never looked back.

He said that the later 512 Boxer solved many of the gremlins of the 365 and would be a better choice if someone was looking for a Boxer in general. Obviously, the 512 BBi was the most user-friendly and most reliable.

But, with the high-revving (8000 RPM max :) ), carb'd 365 Boxer, you get the most pure 12-cylinder experience. Especially the sound.

There is one here in Vancouver.

·
Registered
770 Posts
[quote='75 308 GT4 (Peter)]He said that the later 512 Boxer solved many of the gremlins of the 365 and would be a better choice if someone was looking for a Boxer in general. Obviously, the 512 BBi was the most user-friendly and most reliable.[/quote]

I've heard similar - but I just can't help look at the front of the 512 and think it's not quite as good looking at the 365 - which is bloody gorgeous!!!

Also - the 365 has 6 (yes six) exhaust pipes - fantastic!! That's almost reason enough to buy one on it's own!!

One of the dealers near myself has had the following car in stock for ages (since early last year) and I've spent ages drooling over it!!!

http://www.racecar.co.uk/talacrest/stock/18685.htm

(Andrew - I include the link because the article on it is quite interesting - although the information is not particularly unique.)

·
Registered
52 Posts
I love driving mine. The only way I can describe it is RAW. Feels like a racing car on the road and contemporary road tests say that it is the closest that Ferrari ever came to puting a race car on the road, with the exception of the 'extreme' cars of course (28GTO, F49, F50, Enzo).

Are you thinking of buying one?

Simon
76 365 BB & 77 400 Auto

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had a 365 BB several years ago and remember it warmly as a wonderful car. My example had the standard four exhaust pipes, not six that were seen on some cars. The only problem that I encountered was series of clutches that "wore out" after 1000 miles. After about 3 or 4 go rounds we discovered that there was a seal between the gearbox and clutch that was incompetent and spraying gear oil onto the pressure plate. Once this was resolved the car was essentially without problems and a delight to own and drive.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Driving a BB is like nothing else I have experienced. I have a 512BBi from 1982, I drive the car frequently. It is something else for example the air condition always works as long as you can open the window, then you can help the driver window to go up... When you sit in it and you turn the key you imagine Giles Villneuve arriving in the factory or Niki Lauda test driving the 365 BB and so one. I will never trade my BB for anything else...

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Welcome here :)

I once had a ride in a 365 GT4 BB, and just like you said, you take some things for granted. The heater for example, there is a button that you can put on anything between blue(off) and red (Very hot). What they don't tell at the factory that it has actually only 2 modes. on and off. So you are swithchin gthat button all the time. But damn what did that car sound nice

·
Registered
205 Posts
My initial impression when I picked up my 365bb a few years ago was sex on wheels! Six exhausts and paired triple tail lights look pretty cool. I learnt to respect the car pretty quickly after spinning 180degrees as I approached my driveway(absolute goose!!!!!!!!!!) Second gear still feels like slingshot :) Awesome noise, induction roar etc,the list just goes on..........

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
and don't forget that you have all this :) *this is a 512 BB, but looks like it*

I would kill to have that engine, put a glass plate on it and you have the best table. Make sure it gets it's fuel and oil, and the exhaust through the chimney, then you can fire it up every now and then :D

Attachments

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
Stradale said:
OMG, Dr. Bob, where did you get that photo. That engine is incredible. It's spotless.
i'm guessing at Zandvoort during the Italian Days
or else at a meeting of the FCN
a 512 shows up at most events

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Dealer Munsterhuis when it was still in Enschede. They still have the car I believe. Then have it now for1,5 year I think. It seems they can't get rid of it. Maybe too expensive.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Wow, Bob, that's an absolutely fantastic looking engine! That flat 12 with those beautiful polished stacks looks great! :D

·
Registered
473 Posts
So are BB's difficult/expensive cars to keep on the road?.. I notice that all of you owners seem to drive their cars regularly. I've considered purchacing a 512bb several times but maintance concerns and drivability have always prevented me from jumping in.

Dermot

·
Registered
205 Posts
These cars are getting onto 30years old now, so maintenance costs will increase exponentially. My 365bb costs alot to maintain, more than my 246, but the induction roar from those Webers makes it worth it!

·
Registered
6 Posts
From my experience with the BB I never met a person that did not have a pleasant experience with it. I went to a friend house who also has a 1982 512 BBi and the second Dino ever made, we both agree the BB is still a car from an other world. But it has its weakness for example the driver window goes up at the speed of light and you always have to pull it up because you think that it will never close...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts