Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

am in the market for a 365 GT4 BB, I have seen (and driven) 512BB and 512BBi only.

The 365 GT4 BB i will go and see next week has velocity stacks without air boxes. I imagine this is aftermarket, am I correct?

Thanks.

Alex

Attachments

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
Hi Alex,

Best of luck in your search for a Boxer, they are wonderful Ferraris.

To answer you question, yes this is aftermarket unless it is some random thing they did on early models, which I don't recall.

Here are photos of a 365 engine with the proper air boxes on top:

http://www.ferrariforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4024

Let us know if we can aid you in your search, I highly recommend the Buyer's Guides too!

Regards,
Andrew

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Hi Alex,

I concur with Andrew, to the best of my knowledge, the Velocity Stacks are an after market addition. I have never seen a 365 BB or 512 BB which had them as original equipment. This having been said, 365 GT4 BB's were all hand made cars and could, and were, customized to meet buyers requests. You can ask the factory (or the current owner) for the build sheets.

Suggest you also take a look at the Buyer's Guide in the Members section.

Good luck with your search.

Cheers,

Boxer

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all your replies. I received a message from the broker that is negotiating the sale and the owner confirms that he has the original filter boxes. I plan to go and see the BB next week and will post pictures and comments - regards. Alex

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The car is for sale in north Europe. I went to see it yesterday. Needs some TLC - have been told that it runs good - asking €70.000. Seats without headrests, red & black with black interior. I didn't have a chance to put it on a lift to look underneath

Here in Italy is an original 13,000 km 512BBi - the only thing is that it has black leather seats with grey cloth inserts. Euro spec.

decisions, decisions

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Alex, Based on description, the car you saw would be an early 365 GT4 BB. Make sure you check the engine for smoking :eek: , gearbox syncros, and the transaxle. If you decide to go ahead, then I would get a full PPI done on it. For the price they are asking, you should be getting a car in very good to excellent condition.

On the 512 BBi with 13k km on the clock, first thing I would do is verify the history. :roll:

Good luck with the search.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The history of the 512BBi is very simple - one owner car, an American citizen, purchased it new in Italy with EE (no tax Italian plates) and when those ran out tagged it USA (car has always been in Italy) - it is a Euro version though- broght it to the authorized Ferrari dealer for a tune up and unxepectedly passed away - this was about 10 years ago. It has been sitting in the Ferrari shop ever since - started on a regular basis. I have asked the price - the problem being is that the import to Italy is about 30 of the blue book value (10% duty and 20% sales tax). Since it is in pristine cond. there are no loopholes. It requires DOT releases - safey and smog (non catalytic) for the USA.

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
The 512BBi sounds like it has a lot of expensive complications attached. Even if the engine has been started, the fact that the car has not been run on the road could lead to a lot of other components seizing up or rotting (especially anything rubber). It probably also needs a cambelt change which is an engine out job on all Boxers. My guess would be that the best thing that could happen to this car is wait until it is 25 years old and then ship it into the US.

I have worked in the past with an excellent dealer who has a good network for older Ferraris in the UK/Europe. PM me if you would like his contact deals.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts