Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hoping to rejoin the ranks of Boxer owners in 2007. On first thought would be to look for a 365 BB but prices on these have recently jumped and good ones are very very hard to find. They are a great drivers car but unless you have clear road, they can be a bit punishing. In the past I never considered the BBi as I had a strong preference for the Weber carbs and great sound track. However the BBi is more useable all around.

Would appreciate others thoughts and opinions.

Thanks.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I am hoping to rejoin the ranks of Boxer owners in 2007. On first thought would be to look for a 365 BB but prices on these have recently jumped and good ones are very very hard to find. They are a great drivers car but unless you have clear road, they can be a bit punishing. In the past I never considered the BBi as I had a strong preference for the Weber carbs and great sound track. However the BBi is more useable all around.

Thanks.
Boxer,

You know them better than most, my personal preference would be for a BBi for the same usability reasons, I like driving my cars....

Regards,

Argento

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
My choice

Thanks.
Hello Boxer: My personal choice is 365 BB. Reasons ? Original, minimum production numbers, all aluminum skin, design simplicity, carb model, lighter body weight, much more attractive rear end w/ visibe manifolds, etc. etc. Jimmy

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Boxer,

You know them better than most, my personal preference would be for a BBi for the same usability reasons, I like driving my cars....

Regards,

Argento
Appreciate everyones opinion. It is a real dilema between purity and useabiity. The collector in me wants one and the driver prefers the other. It will probably come down to looking for both and then buying the best example of either that I can find.

·
Registered
205 Posts
have you driven a BBi? I think you will find the soundtrack as well as sensation of speed uninspiring compared to a 365bb. Vote with your heart and not your head and you won't be disappointed in what decision you make

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Concur

have you driven a BBi? I think you will find the soundtrack as well as sensation of speed uninspiring compared to a 365bb. Vote with your heart and not your head and you won't be disappointed in what decision you make
Can't agree more. The BB lineage from 365BB, 512BB, to 512BBi is successively more drivable and civilized but also became more heavy and less heart pounding. Jimmy

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Suggestion

Appreciate everyones opinion. It is a real dilema between purity and useabiity. The collector in me wants one and the driver prefers the other. It will probably come down to looking for both and then buying the best example of either that I can find.
Hi Boxer: How is your dilemna between the BBs coming along ? I came across Michael Sheehan's HP where he has a short section referring to BBs (July 2006 under the Article section). Maybe if you read this, it might give you a fresh perspective. I thoroughly enjoy his articles because of Michael's witty, direct, writing style and vast knowledge. Just a suggestion and hope this would help you make up your mind. Jimmy

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jimmy, I also went back and reread Mike's article and the original Boxer guide in Forza. The more I stew on this, the more I come back to the carb Boxers as the most involving to drive. So far I have not been able to locate any 365 BBs at a reasonable price (only ones on the grid are the 1 at GTC which the longer it sits, the higher the asking price, and one in Luxembourg which iis even more over priced). On the other hand, I have found a few 512BBs which are with both the budget and reason.

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Well understood

Jimmy, I also went back and reread Mike's article and the original Boxer guide in Forza. The more I stew on this, the more I come back to the carb Boxers as the most involving to drive. So far I have not been able to locate any 365 BBs at a reasonable price (only ones on the grid are the 1 at GTC which the longer it sits, the higher the asking price, and one in Luxembourg which iis even more over priced). On the other hand, I have found a few 512BBs which are with both the budget and reason.
I can understand your dilemna. There are so few 365BBs available, let alone one in good condition and at a reasonable asking price. Here in Japan, prices have risen gradually and I saw a couple ads in car magazines claiming excellent condition but the asking prices are excellent too, in the range of over 140,000 Euros at current exchange rate. Jimmy

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Understood

Jimmy, Right now the asking price on really good 365 BBs in Europe is Euro 95k+. A similar 512BB will be in the Euro 65-75k range. While the heart could care less about the price gap, the mind has a hard time justifying the Euro 30k extra. Thoughts ???
I can fully understand your state of mind. The market price I quoted is relative to the expensive Euro value in relation to Japanese Yen. I am sure once you come across a BB in condition that satisfies your standard, you would make your decision not by logic but passion. Jimmy

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Boxer, you had a 365 BB, right? How is that one doing, after you sold it?

I don't really mind whatever Boxer you buy, it will be fine, but don't sell the dream: keep the F40!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Jimmy, Right now the asking price on really good 365 BBs in Europe is Euro 95k+. A similar 512BB will be in the Euro 65-75k range. While the heart could care less about the price gap, the mind has a hard time justifying the Euro 30k extra. Thoughts ???
Boxer,

All the 512 BBi's I have seen recently worth buying have been Euro 95k+, In fact 95k has been the lowest I have seen, The highest being 135k.

I'm not sure there is a 25k-60k difference between BB's & BBi's?

Argento

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Boxer,

All the 512 BBi's I have seen recently worth buying have been Euro 95k+, In fact 95k has been the lowest I have seen, The highest being 135k.

I'm not sure there is a 25k-60k difference between BB's & BBi's?

Argento
Argento, The price difference I was referencing was between the 365 BB and the 512 BB, not the 512BB and the 512BBi. I know of 2 512BB's in good to very good condition with prices in the Euro 65-75K range. Cheers, Boxer

·
Registered
47 Posts
Boxer, you had a 365 BB, right? How is that one doing, after you sold it?

I don't really mind whatever Boxer you buy, it will be fine, but don't sell the dream: keep the F40!
I agree. I got a ride in an F-40 yesterday at my mechanic's shop and all I can say is WOW!!! That is the most brutally fast car I have ever been in. I could not believe the acceleration, and degree of handling that this car has. It didn't help that we were doing about 120-130 mph in the city streets though there were a lot of empty curvy roads. All I kept thinking was that if we spun off into something at that speed, cancel next Christmas. I can't see where you could possibly drive it well anywhere but on a race track. I would either be in jail or dead if I could afford one. It made my Boxer feel like an economy car. However, I still love my car and when you get another one, you will too.

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
I agree. I got a ride in an F-40 yesterday at my mechanic's shop and all I can say is WOW!!! That is the most brutally fast car I have ever been in. I could not believe the acceleration, and degree of handling that this car has. It didn't help that we were doing about 120-130 mph in the city streets though there were a lot of empty curvy roads. All I kept thinking was that if we spun off into something at that speed, cancel next Christmas. I can't see where you could possibly drive it well anywhere but on a race track. I would either be in jail or dead if I could afford one. It made my Boxer feel like an economy car. However, I still love my car and when you get another one, you will too.
Wow. It is posts like this that make me want to buy a plane ticket to Europe and bang on Boxer's door and beg him for a ride in his car! You put the power of the car in terms that make the blood boil, "the most brutally fast car I have ever been in." Boxer just said something like, "If you want to make up time on the highway the F40 is the car to do it in." He is very subtle. When Boxer refers to a car as being, "not too bad." that means it is probably better than anything I've ever driven in my life.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
well Pete, Boxer has a different reference than we do

if I get to drive the worst of his cars, I'll be VERY happy

if I get to drive his best car, I don't think I'll ever get out of it!

and if that kind of thing makes you want to fly to Europe, that's because you have a Ferrari in your garage

I'm thinking about rowing a canoo or just swimming straight to England!!!

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
well Pete, Boxer has a different reference than we do
if I get to drive the worst of his cars, I'll be VERY happy
He owned the cars that most of us only dreamed of and sold them to buy the car that most of us only read about. He's a great guy, very fortunate in his situation and we are lucky to know him.
if I get to drive his best car, I don't think I'll ever get out of it!
and if that kind of thing makes you want to fly to Europe, that's because you have a Ferrari in your garage
I'm thinking about rowing a canoo or just swimming straight to England!!!
I think you and I should fly to Europe, ask Boxer if we can take his F40 for a spin around the block and end up 3 weeks later somewhere in southeast asia with a couple of Chinese prostitutes and a whole lot of explaining to do.

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
He owned the cars that most of us only dreamed of and sold them to buy the car that most of us only read about. He's a great guy, very fortunate in his situation and we are lucky to know him.

I think you and I should fly to Europe, ask Boxer if we can take his F40 for a spin around the block and end up 3 weeks later somewhere in southeast asia with a couple of Chinese prostitutes and a whole lot of explaining to do.
Pete, You are welcome to come over for a ride anytime.:drive:
On the Southeast Asia drive, almost spilled the morning coffee laughing :D :D

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wow. It is posts like this that make me want to buy a plane ticket to Europe and bang on Boxer's door and beg him for a ride in his car! You put the power of the car in terms that make the blood boil, "the most brutally fast car I have ever been in." Boxer just said something like, "If you want to make up time on the highway the F40 is the car to do it in." He is very subtle. When Boxer refers to a car as being, "not too bad." that means it is probably better than anything I've ever driven in my life.
Value of the car aside, I would not trade the F40 for an Enzo or an F50. Nothing I have ever driven comes close to the F40 in terms of acceleration sensation. One minute everything is calm, civilized, and docile, a second later all hell is breaking loose and everything not directly ahead of you is becoming blurry as it flashes into the distance. Impossible not to smile when the turbos come on line.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts