Ferrari Life Forum banner

360 vs 550

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While they are two very different Ferraris, they both hark from the same era and represent significant new directions for Ferrari. The 550 was the 1st front engined 12 cylinder coupe since the demise of the Daytona, and the 360 is the first all aluminum Ferrari. Looking at the UK and European markets, despite the extra 4 cylinders, the 550 is today valued at roughly GBP 10k/Euro 15k less than the 360. At the same time, Ferrari produced at least 5 times the number of 360s as 550s.

Is the 360 really that much more desireable ?

Has the market lost the plot ?

Or is this just a great opportunity to buy a 550 ?

·
Registered
275 Posts
IMHO the 550 is close to the end of depreciation cicle and about to be great value. The 360 has still some depreciation to go. The concepts of both differ so much I think it's hard to compare. But I'll go with the 550 (and keep the 355:rolleyes: )

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
I like both cars and would love to have the funds to buy both. The 550 does seem like very good value for money, but doesn't have the looks of the 360. A tough call, but I went for the 550.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Since I already have the 355, I would skip the 360 and go for the 550 which would give me a more comfortable ride for those long trips, or even a daily drive. Then again if it were a F430, hands down I would go for the 430.

I think that both are at different class to be compared as far as performance and specs.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
No Vote from me

Depends on my mood...terrier vs hound

If I'm feeling like ripping around, slamming my head against the window in a violent rage caused by dipping in to the corner way to fast and accerating out in a similar but opposite reaction to the apex

If I'm feeling like cruising at wildly elevated speeds down a road made of long and short banked turns experiencing the splendor of the machine and the environment.

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
I was facing this "dilemma" 7 months ago and we all know what I chose :).

I was very surprised to see so far 9 out of 10 people have chosen the 550 - that definitely is not a reflection of the market.

The main question, for me, is: what do you use your Ferrari for. For the kind of trip I've described in FLQ7, I'd much prefer the 550. For a regular blat around the countryside, or for bird-pulling potential, the 360 is the better car.

As for looks, to me the 550 looks quite a bit better than the 360, so I'm in opposite camps to Andy there.

I didn't think the market had lost it's head a year ago, when I thought prices would stabilise. 8 cylinder cars have a 'younger' image, the 550 is a bit more 'CEO of multi-national' in its association. This makes the 8 cylinder cars appeal to more people, particularly the crowd that can afford "only" 1 used Ferrari. Hence the higher 2nd residuals for V8s, and the sinkhole style depreciation of the V12s. But the V12s are also a lot rarer, more practical for daily use and quicker in some ways so I thought for the 360 and 550 to sit on an even keel would be a nice equilibrium.

But since I bought my car, prices have fallen again, and quite quickly. For me, that was a surprise and although the recession will have something to do with that and there's all sorts of valid reasons, it just doesn't seem right to me to see a 550 change hands for $80k or less.

So my two choices now seem to be: either earn a LOT more money so we don't mind losing some on an upgrade, or keep the 550 until it appreciates. I like both options a lot! :D

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
With the oldest 550's now 12/13 yrs old, have they finally bottomed out? Will the onset of a global economic downturn effect prices of luxury goods even more? Where do you think the bottom is for an average well maintained 550?

About 6 months ago I said I thought the bottom would be around £40K GBP / 65K Euro's or 80K USD, I can't see them falling much further as F512M's and TR's are fetching a similar level?

·
Registered
8 Posts
to me the 550 belongs in the collectors corner now. the 360 is gonna be dated soon here with the new model after the 430. the 360''s technology is even way dated with the current technology , and is a joke compared to porsches..... but the only reason I would pick a ferrari is there so much better looking.

360 looks way better to me then the 550 IMO

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
I'd take the 550 even if it had a small premium over the 360!

Like a well know member says, 12 cylinders or walk! hehehehe

(before you say it, I know I'm still in the "walking" part of life)

·
Registered
14 Posts
360 has a much better look ....
550 are for old people .... i am only 45 years young !!!!!!!!!!!!
is a question of taste and prefferences. Both are great, but 360 looks to me more a ferrari than the 550. Both are great anyway ...

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Ciao

to me the 550 belongs in the collectors corner now. the 360 is gonna be dated soon here with the new model after the 430. the 360''s technology is even way dated with the current technology , and is a joke compared to porsches..... but the only reason I would pick a ferrari is there so much better looking.

360 looks way better to me then the 550 IMO
I'm not sure if you are in the right forum this is the Ferrarilife not Porschelife, tread easy for your first post. Both cars are extremely well built I should know I own both.......:p

·
Registered
28 Posts
yes!

No Vote from me

Depends on my mood...terrier vs hound

If I'm feeling like ripping around, slamming my head against the window in a violent rage caused by dipping in to the corner way to fast and accerating out in a similar but opposite reaction to the apex

If I'm feeling like cruising at wildly elevated speeds down a road made of long and short banked turns experiencing the splendor of the machine and the environment.

haha.. I agree w/ you! for me, I would input another point as well: If I'm feeling like a Playboy racer, 360. If I'm feeling like a man that "got THERE" in life and is cruising around just living his PERFECT life, 550.

=)

I went 360 but I think it's becouse of my age: 23. Maybe after some years I change my mind. Overall I believe that 550>360.

=)

Azp.

·
Premium Member
1,733 Posts
550 is like a fine wine, it seems to get better with age. Also you catch yourself looking at it from certain angles and find that it is quite sexy, a bit like one does with Marg Helgenberger
:google:

Yes!! Finally a reason to use that google emo..whatever!!

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
oh no, t1fosI, the 550 looks way better than Marg Helgenberger (yes, I did search google!) hehehehehe

P.S.: she's not your wife or related to you, is she? If she is, then forget what I just wrote: she's a fine looking woman, with all the respect! hehehehehe

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'd take the 550 even if it had a small premium over the 360!
On the Swiss market 550 are cheaper than 360 too.

If you travel a lot the 550 is a better car and well driven it is faster on track than 360. On the road you don't have to push the engine of the 550 to enjoy it, it's all about torque.

The 360 is better to show off, makes more noise and looks not better but more modern.

The only problem of the 550 is that I feel "old" behind the wheel.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts