Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, recently purchased 2001 Ferrari 360 spider after selling 2005 Viper. I love the car and handling is much better then Viper, although you can feel less horsepower at higher speeds especially. My question is this:

At about 80 mph on the last 6th gear I see 3,000 RPM. Is this normal? Viper had under 2,000 RPMs under same conditions. THis is probably related to less horse power, but I would like to confirm this. THanks.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
My complaint has always been that there is a 7th gear needed.

It makes no sense for that car to be running up so high in RPM at freeway speeds. Obviously Ferrari feels that available HP has to be there all the time. I think it's nonsense.

That car could esasily get 25 mpg if that engine were turning lower RPM's at freeway speeds.

You said 80 MPH it's turning 3K RPM? What sizes are your tires?

I believe mine turns 70 MPH at 3K RPM.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Gcalo. I can see that my car behaves similar to yours. I have 18 inch tires. I get:

2500rpm at 60 mph
3000rpm at 70 mph
3500rpm at 80 mph
4000rpm at 90 mph
4500 rpm at 100mph and so on

I agree that seems odd that the car uses so much engine at higher speeds but I guess it is the difference in engineering in comparison with American muscle cars.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
I was concerned that you were showing 80 MPH in 6th at 3K RPM. That would indicate that you had smaller tires.

Ferrari obviously believes that performance should be available at all speeds.

Interestingt hat the new dual clutch tranny has 7 speeds! So obviously they have learned that fuel efficiency is an important factor now adays.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts