Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently taken the leap and purchased a 2000 360 and I have to start by saying that this car lives up to everything you hear about it.
I need something answered from someone who also owns a 360 becauseI do not know if this is normal or if it is the way I am manipulating the clutch... I would be drivign hard and then switch into neutral, out of no where the engine charges to about 7000 rpm and stays there! I rev it harder, doesnt go down, it put it into gear and it immediatly goes to normal. Needless to say that when the engine shrieks like that and your foot is no where near the throttle it is pretty scary.
Again, I am new with this car and perhaps it is the way I am driving but for some reason this does not seem right.

All feedback welcome!

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
This is the first time I've heard of this problem. You may think I'm nuts when I say this but I had this problem on a 308. Check the carpet. If it is getting pushed up under the pedal it could actually be pushing the pedal's wire hence the rev.

Now a question I have. Does it stay at 7000 RPMs or does it jump to 7000 and then back down to ~1000? If this is what is happening my carpet idea is probably not the problem.

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
Also, when you put it into gear is this at a stop? Into first gear?

BTW I got ahead of myself. Welcome to the site. I hope we can help solve this problem for you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the welcome and quick feedback.

The car is a manual transmission. I do not belive it was the carpet since the actions were strange. I was in gear (3rd?) and was probably driving in a range of 7000rpm, depress the clutch, shift to neutral and it immediatly rockets back to 7000rpm and stays there. The only thing that brought it back to normal was going back into gear.
The Ferrari tech at the lambo dealer where I bought it says it may be "Jitters" due to the fact that the car has not been really drivin in months. Sounds kind of weak but we'll see. He recommended I drive it for the next day or two to see if it happenes again.

6SPEED

·
Registered
151 Posts
If it is not the carpet then there is something wrong with the idle speed control. I would have it checked by dealer. This can become a serious liability if you are in gear and it tries to get to 7000 RPM accidently. I don't buy the fact the car was not driven for a while and is getting jitters. Good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Recently I have taken the car back to the dealer and they did see the problem. While they do not have the diagnostic equippment they do have a top rate ferrari guy. They did some things like cleaning this, lubricating that and a few things they ran by me that I can not remember and it has not done it again. Now it comes down to the 1- 2 month test and we'll see if it stays that way. It only revved in neautral though, in gear it was always normal.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
It only revved in neautral though, in gear it was always normal.
It shoudn't be like that at all. Go to an official dealer that has the computer to check what really wrong and rectify the problem. Looks like the engine ECU has to be re-set to the original factory setting.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm afraid I agree with Stradale.

You mentioned in a previous post that the only way to get the revs down was to put it into gear (at 7,000 rpm !!?) Probably not the best solution.....also how are you going to perform this in heavy traffic/or at stop lights ?

You have a high performance sportscar which has a malfunction. I would want a clear explanation from the garage, that you have been to, explaining what they have done and why this will prevent this happening again. Or alternatively go to an authorised dealer and have then take a look.

I would not want a 'bit of cleaning and a bit of lubricating' keeping me on the road......

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Or alternatively go to an authorised dealer and have then take a look.
From the F355 models on, Ferraris have to be "plugged" into the factory computer for any maintainance or repair to be completed. Or else any problem even if it has been reapaired will still be in the car's ECU data. So thae car will still "see" that the problem still exisits and react accordingly.

6 speed, you have to get your car to the nearest dealer's workshop. Your 360 need to be plugged into the Ferrari computer. There's no way around it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts