Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of buying a 2000 360. This will be my first exotic car purchase, so I'm a little nervous. I hear one horror story after the next about how Ferrari's break down a lot. I hear a lot of things like, "you'll spend more time in the shop than on the road!" and "they only make their cars look nice but the quality of their parts and engineering are worthless."

I'm used to driving BMW's. I only see the BMW service center once a year - very low maintenance. I expect a bit more maintenance on a high performance exotic, but damn is it really as bad as what I've heard? I heard one 355 owner say that he has built a personal relationship with the tow truck guy in his town! That's bad - really bad.

I've dreamed my whole life of owning a ferrari. Now I can afford one but I'm worried that I won't even be able to enjoy the car. I'll have to drive it around as slow and careful as possible, like an 80 year old in a Cadillac, out of fear that something will break. I would think that cars that cost as much as 360's do, would be equipped with the finest, most well built parts in the world but it seems that's not the case.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
rhoug9 said:
I'm thinking of buying a 2000 360. This will be my first exotic car purchase, so I'm a little nervous. I hear one horror story after the next about how Ferrari's break down a lot. I hear a lot of things like, "you'll spend more time in the shop than on the road!" and "they only make their cars look nice but the quality of their parts and engineering are worthless."
That was quite true with the older models but Ferrari has improved hell of a lot with the 360. Try and get a later model, say a 2001 because there are a few changes made after model year 2000.

rhoug9 said:
I'm used to driving BMW's. I only see the BMW service center once a year - very low maintenance. I expect a bit more maintenance on a high performance exotic, but damn is it really as bad as what I've heard? I heard one 355 owner say that he has built a personal relationship with the tow truck guy in his town! That's bad - really bad.
I've owned an F355 as well and to be fair your friend is over-exagerating.

rhoug9 said:
I've dreamed my whole life of owning a ferrari. Now I can afford one but I'm worried that I won't even be able to enjoy the car. I'll have to drive it around as slow and careful as possible, like an 80 year old in a Cadillac, out of fear that something will break. I would think that cars that cost as much as 360's do, would be equipped with the finest, most well built parts in the world but it seems that's not the case.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
The 360 is the best and the most successful Ferrari ever built. It doesn't get to be that if there were too many complaints. Drive the car like a hooligan and it will still stand up to the abuse. It's a fantastic car. It may be politacally incorrect but when the group of us of around 10 Ferraris (with 6 nos 360s) do our Saturday drive, we tend to hit 280-290 kph (=168-174mph) continuosly for long periods of time. The drives to and fro will be around 200km (120 miles) and the cars never miss a beat.

Go on, go with your heart but use your head in choosing the right model.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stradale, thanks for the info and advice. I'll keep an eye out for a 2001. The only reason I was interested in this one particular 2000 was price. The seller was asking $132K and that fit within my budget.

·
Registered
900 Posts
132k is not unusual for a 2000 360. Especially with the F430 upon the horizon, the 360 will be down to 100k before you know it. Just like the 355 when the 360 came.
Look around for a bit and make sure you buy the right one.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Absolutely no problems with my 1999 Modena I have bought in January. Made approx. 10'000 kms including quite some laps on the tracks in Fiorano, Dijon and Spa-Francorchamps...

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
rauss said:
Absolutely no problems with my 1999 Modena I have bought in January. Made approx. 10'000 kms including quite some laps on the tracks in Fiorano, Dijon and Spa-Francorchamps...
I have asked the Service Manager of our Ferrari dealer to list factory upgrades of the 360 sice 1999. I'll add it in our forums buyers guide. Believe me there are a few critical upgrades!! You won't know it until it hits you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Since I am not a paying member I cannot see the changes you are mentioning. I just know that my (official) dealer has executed all updates for the 360 from the beginning until today. This is particularly the case for the software of the F1 transmission. Are there any important changes in the "hardware" section?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts