Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im pondering which is a better buy.....Im assuming the 430 but Im sure people will have differing opinions...Considering maintenance, potential issues, value for money, what to look out for...

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Both models are aging cars now, so regarding maintenance, they are pretty much equal and will have to look after. Consider a good budget to maintain and replace worn parts. The choice between the 360 and 430 is really a personal choice depending on what you prefer. Good luck in finding a properly maintained car ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
i had these same doubts. I like both, however I would not go for a 360 F1. I would only get a 360 with manual gearbox.
THe F430 feels more mature and a more "serious" car in my opinion. Also you have the manettinno, and the e-diff that add to the experience. F1 seems more refined than the 360.

All in all, its a matter of personal taste but I persoanlly hesitated between a manual 360 and an F1 430 (same price) and ended up going for the F1 430.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Also I think 360 have hit price bottom, even more the manuals (already increasing). As opporsed to F430, that is quite stable but could maybe still go lower in terms of prices.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think Ferrari 360 is top. I hope I will buy this car someday. Actually, is it worth buying such car? I mean it's expensive but is it practical? I would like to get reviews from owners, thanks in advance! Also, I can recommend a good website to check the vehicle history, it helped me a lot many times quickppsr.com.au

·
Registered
4 Posts
I purchased my 360 a few years ago - it is the most impractical car I have every owned!
That said I love driving my 360 especial since its a 3 pedal car unbelievable fun on the back roads.
My wife and I try to take it out as often and possible for weekend drives and dinners!

The 430 has a new designed engine and will not require belt maintenance something to consider.
These cars are approaching 20 years and will need additional maintenance - I would buy one that has been driven vs the garage queen if you are planning to drive the car and not just park it in you garage to look at. Driven cars usually have most of the bugs worked out.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have been incredibly lucky enough to have been a driving instructor in Ferraris since the Daytona was current and have been able to drive both the 360's and 430's many times on track. In almost all ways, I would consider the 430 to be a superior car. As mentioned, it has chain valvetrain drive, so no belt adjustments. The F1 transmission is FAR superior to the 360. It has more power and feels it! It has more sophisticated electronics, etc. etc.

So, my very easy choice would be a well driven 360 couple with a manual six speed. Driven well, they are still crazy fast and it is YOU not the computer driving the car. I LOVE open cars, but the 360 coupe is just too lovely to pass up.

These cars are all great one way or another, but I want the one that I can park and then cannot walk away from without looking back. At the end of the day, listen to your heart.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well since I own a F430-F1 and I drive the car just about every week and track the car at least one a month the car like all other cars needs to driven and driven hard, believe you me the F430-F1 was not designed to run at 65 mph on a highway the car was designed to run on the track using the manettino RACE mode or in the rain when the roads are wet or in SPORT mode. Cancelling out the CST on a race track, you better be a good driver otherwise you are going to loose the car. My mechanic is restoring a 360, 3 pedal 6 speed. The car will go on the market for sale not sure when.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
The direct comments regarding why to own a 430 were my major reasons as well as the standard more easily maintained 4 valve and chain timing system. More sophisticated 430 can be felt but it is a transition car to the newer Ferrari standards: manetino, computers, and F1.
Tough choices.
What are your true designs owning one?

We were going for a 430 and an older 90's filler but settled on a 599: big diff. We are still getting familiar with this new concept and it is not as engaging or raw as we are used to driving; almost, Porsche like. BUT WE LOVE the power and better sophistication, albeit HATE the computer and needed stuff to make it work. STICKY?! STILL AN ISSUE. Really Ferrari!!!
We don't track nor ever will again but spirited driving still a feature. What are your desires?

Reactions: StefVan

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am still a very big fan of the older Ferrari's. I have a 1973 246 GTS in Fly Yellow, still have million dollars Ferrari's pass me by and give me the thumbs up, no computer, nothing but a beautiful designed car that is great to drive just about every day. I like the track very much and am now thinking about the 458, I think this car is built for the race track. Do like the 488 BUT TOO MUCH power, when the twin turbos kick in you really need to hold onto your seat

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Mojo,
I faced the same choice during my search. The 430 had lower expect maintenance costs, but I liked the 360 styling much much better. After driving both, it was no contest. The 360 won hands down. That’s not to say it performed better, but for the driving I do, the performance difference was negligible.

Ten years on, I‘m still over the moon with the decision.

I say drive both, and get the one that “speaks” to you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts