Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Any and all educated opinions would be extremely helpful. I'm close to trading my Vanquish in for a 360 Modena. The dealer will give me an even trade, but the 360 has higher miles than my Vanquish.

If I did the trade and had to sell the 360 in a year (which I hope not to, but you never know), where would I take the biggest hit of depreciation?

All mechanicals of the cars and servicing being equal.

1. 2002 Aston Martin Vanquish - Black on Black, one year from now, 22,000 miles.

2. 2000 Ferrari 360 Modena - Black on Black, Tubi, Shields, rear challenge grill - one year from now... 51,000 miles

How much do you think the Vanquish would fetch and how much do you think the 360 would sell for with the above info?

Thank YOU and thank you everyone for your help!! :eek:

·
Registered
275 Posts
hi jwar,

I understand your dealer, an even trade....seems an unfair trade to me...
Maybe this only applies for my country but the 2002 Aston would be at least US$40.000 more expensive then a 2000 Modena.

I guess, and it's a guess only, the 360 will depreciate around $15-20k US with 9000 miles added (passes the 60k mark). Your Aston will be at 31.000 miles which makes less difference. Black on black is the better colour for the aston as well (only money wise), ferrari's 360 sell better in the traditional red/black combination.

Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I've been saving up for my Ferrari for 15 years. Finally got it last month. What does that tell you...and...Do you think the market thinks like me?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ferrari will hold value

I agree - the Ferrari will hold its value. Will you be putting a lot of miles on the clock though - and if so can you get one with less milage?

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
I'm going to be controversial, but with 17000+ 360's produced, and hundreds even thousands on the market, I personally feel their values are falling quickly and within 3 yrs they will be where 355's are today. I think they will bottom out in around 5-8 yrs time at around £35K GBP or $70K USD (similar prices to good 328's and 348's.

The AM is a different car, firstly it's a V12 Grand Tourer, a different driving experience and you're trying to compare an apple with an orange. There were only 1400 Vanquish's made, and they probably appeal to a different type of client. I honestly don't think a Vanquish will depreciate as much as a 360. In the Uk AM prices are currently on there way up and they have had a rebirth in popularity in recent years, Dave Richards has big plans to increase the brand awareness and racing pedigree. That may not be the case in the US or elsewhere.

It's a tough call. Personally I prefer the 360, but would stick with the AM if I wanted to retain more of my money

·
Registered
167 Posts
I would go for the Vanquish over a 360 due to rarity and I personally think they are a beautiful ride

·
Premium Member
1,733 Posts
If it is an even trade than I reckon you are taking the financial hit now...by about £18-23k Sterling.
Sell the Vanquish privately (or through a broker) and buy the Modena cash (I personally think 51k miles is quite high for a y2k Modena.)

plus I think that the Vanquish is more 550 Maranello territory...better comparison.

my choice...
Financially: The ex-works Ford
Emotionally: The FIAT

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
It's a tough call. Personally I prefer the 360, but would stick with the AM if I wanted to retain more of my money
I agree with Archie. I love the 360, but if I already had a Vanquish, I think I'd keep it.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Archie and Pete are not wrong... I just think more emotionally, a pure fiscal perspective is not something I'm good at. I believe the Aston's are presently popular. Blame it on James Bond or what ever you like. I do know theres no such thing as a new england region Aston Meet. Most any Ferrari will get you an OOOOh Ahhhh from the most casual observer. Aston's are less recognized or identified by the general public. Does that make them more or less valuable?

You've got to make your own decision here weighing your fiscal and emotional options to decide what you want. Is it an Investment or a calling? I personally want to call my Ferrari an investment. Thats how I sold the wife on the idea. But when you really get down to it, lets be serious, Theres no way way I gonna make money on this thing based on maintenance cost's alone.

If your definition of an investment is which car you'll lose less on then don't be silly. you can't swap one car for another through any dealer on the planet without that dealer thinking he's gonna get something out of it. They are in business to make money, and its always at your expense. Now if you can find a Ferrari owner that wants an Aston, maybe you'll have something. I got to figure that gonna be tough. Especially in this forum.

More importantly...If any of us thought fiscally...no one would own any exotic car

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay, thanks everyone for all your help and advice. I finally reached a decision and...

DID THE TRADE!

The dealer threw in $7,000 into the deal. So I have a beautiful 2000 Ferrari 360 Modena with (at this moment of time) 43,000 miles- challenge grill, scuderia shields, black on black, all services, tubi exhaust, NOT A SCRATCH ON IT and..... I'M HAPPY. I'll send pics soon. Any final thoughts???

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Congrats man! I look forward to the pics! Sounds like a fantastic car and you got a good deal.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I think you got a great deal on the trade. You will certainly enjoy that 360 especially with the tubi. No scratches, wow that is excellent.

Congratulations, now all you gotta do is drive it like you mean it :drive:

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Great man, you had a great car to begin with, but since the dealer is throwing in an extra 7k that really makes the trade more worthwhile. I'm excited waiting for these pictures, congrats.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
You made the same decision I would have. Great Car, Good luck, and enjoy the ride. Looking forward to the pics.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts