Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just became the proud owner of a 2003 360 f1 last week. I was wondering if the heat from the motor after parking the car after driving it will damage the paint on the rear hatch. It seems to get extremely hot. The car has the challenge grill but still hot hot hot....I have been opening it for half hour or so after driving just to let cool off.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Congratulations Mark!!

Good question - the paint on the engine cover of my 348 is completely knackered, although it's fine everywhere else. I've always assumed it's down to the heat from the engine, so I tend to do the same and leave it open in the garage after I've been really thrashing it.

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
Welcome to the site and congrats on the new 360. What part of the world are you in? I don't think the heat will be a major concern for the paint. If you are in a hot and sunny climate then it will be hot with that glass trapping the heat + the engine and then the surrounding hot air temps but I've never heard of this being a problem.

I hope you enjoy the site and will share some of your driving stories in the months to come.

Cheers,
Andrew

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
I never heard of this happening, but I guess when you really push the car a lot, and then let it cool this way you coul dhave a chance of cracking the paint. I have no idea how well the paint handles

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Congrats marknkidz, and welcome to the Forum. :)

Don't worry about the paintwork around the engine bay, they'll stay intact. I had my 360 for 3 years and the paintwork there is just as when i bought them new. I'm living in the tropics and the weather is around 32C all year round, so if there is any stress on the paintwork it would affect cars in my part of the world. But none of the 360s have ever had this problem.

If the heat caused you concern then I suggest you fit the Challenge grill, that'll help a lot especially if you travel long distance a lot.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I can confirm that you will not damage the paint due to the high temperatures in the engine bay (I've owned 2 360s in the last 4 years).

I would however advise opening the engine cover after a long hot run, I usually do this when I reach home and leave the cover open until the engine cools way down. This is especially true, if like me, you use a car cover. I've always been concerned with not covering the car while the engine bay is still warm to the touch.

Enjoy

Derm

1 - 6 of 6 Posts