Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am not very good at driving a 'cack' hander (trade jargon for LHD!) in the UK or rather, it feels a little strange. In countries where they drive on the wrong side I have no problem :steeringwheel:

I figure I am going to have to improve though if I want a 288GTO or an F50! or a Cobalt (or maybe not a Cobalt, rather a V8 Camaro!)

Is it me or does that sunroof look like an escape hatch?

·
Registered
6,209 Posts
I came across these pictures of a 360 Modena with what has been described as a 'Factory Sunroof'. I have never seen one with this option before.

That is a factory option and came on a few others as well, IIRC, I remember seeing the exact same roof on a 550.

I can qualify the factory item as Brad, from FofSF stated as much, and FofSF is a factory owned, non-franchise, dealership

And yes, it does look like aircraft quality escape hatch...don't know, but I'll bet the wind noise vs actual sunshine gained makes that option not much of a deal...however, I more than likely would have opted for it

rik

·
Registered
6,209 Posts
Yes a guy iknow has a sun roof in his 360.
I have a few pictures of sun roofs in 360 on my pc. When i find them i will post em.

what is your take on the noise level when open?

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Wow, you learn something new everyday. I don't think I would want a sun roof on a Ferrari. I have one on my car, but if I had the option, spider or coupe.

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
Any photos of it open? Looks like it just pops up, giving what, 2.5 inches of space on the back half when open. Seems pointless (and ugly).

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
The figures I last had were 10-12 total produced as a test by the factory.

I had identified somewhere between 7-9 in the US (it has been a while since I checked the numbers).

For some reason the cars were not well accepted. I believe that buyers want an automated top or electric sunroof. The idea of manually removing a portion of the roof and manually storing it did not go over well.

The roof panel stores behind the seats!

I think it was a great idea and had considered a few possibile cars for myself.

A close friend of mine in Monterey has one.

It's quite an interesting innovation, and he says that on warm days he can quickly evacuate the warm cabin air w/o turning on the A/C.

Apparently Ferrari gave up on the GTS idea with the 355's and decided not to compromise structural integrity coming up with the removable roof portion concept.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Apparently Ferrari gave up on the GTS idea with the 355's and decided not to compromise structural integrity coming up with the removable roof portion concept.
I always thought it was a shame the 360 and 430 didn't come in GTS/targa versions. The GTS was the perfect solution for me as I don't really like cars with a fixed roof and the lines of the cabriolet hood on the spider versions spoils the look of the car. The GTS offered the best of both worlds. I don't really think the argument that GTS's are not water tight hold any weight, as most Ferrari's never see the rain and most aren't left parked outside for great periods of time. My old 328 GTS wasn't watertight but it wasn't an issue for me. I've owned many convertible cars, most of which leaked like a sieve in the rain - especially my MG's. But it goes with the territory, I always expect a drop top to leak when I buy one.

The only convertibles I've owned which have been watertight are the 3 X Audi A4's, The current Saab 9-3 and very suprisingly the Alfa Spider didn't leak.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
I checked to see if I had any of those earlier photos but nothing.

I have contacted my friend to get a few from him.

·
Registered
6,209 Posts
archie: agree on the GTS which is my almost perfect consideration for safety and open possibilities, not to mention how nice it is when it rains vs ragtop.....warmer, no drip [unless the common GTS leaking is not addressed on older ones].

I would love to have the GTS on 308/328/348s

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
I would bet that Ferrari's concept of a mini open roof was due to body flex with the new aluminum chassis on the 360.

I believe it was also for test marketing which went no where.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I just picked up my 2000 360 modena and mine has this option. I personally love it. You get a wobble at high speeds if your side windows are up and it is open but if it is a nice sunny day like we have been having in MN this summer then it is great!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just picked up my 2000 360 modena and mine has this option. I personally love it. You get a wobble at high speeds if your side windows are up and it is open but if it is a nice sunny day like we have been having in MN this summer then it is great!
Andrew,
I have a question for you, how does the roof mount behind the seats?
What secures it on the top part?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hey VTC, there are two tabs on the roof piece that slide in to two slots to hold the bottom, the top is held once you put it in the black leather case by two buckles that attach to two mounts on the back wall. You can see the mounts in the picture posted above vaguely as well as the straps on the pic of the leather case. I'm at work but can take pictures of it strapped later when I get home if that would help. If you put it in like shown in the picture without the case on it then it tends to wobble back and forth a bit. Unfortunately the case is kind of a pain to take on and off since it fits very snug but if you only drive the car when it is nice out and you aren't parking it anywhere out of your sight then it is nice to lock it down but if not then just make sure the passenger seat is scooted up a bit to prevent any long term rubbing on the top.

Best,
A

1 - 20 of 36 Posts