Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

I recently bought a 360 Spider F1, year 2000. I've heard that the transmission ECU on pre-2001 cars should (?) be replaced / upgraded. Not really sure why or what this actually entails and what the benefits are (i.e. how essential is this?).

Appreciate any advice!

Cheers,

Dem.:)

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Hello all!

I recently bought a 360 Spider F1, year 2000. I've heard that the transmission ECU on pre-2001 cars should (?) be replaced / upgraded. Not really sure why or what this actually entails and what the benefits are (i.e. how essential is this?).

Appreciate any advice!

Cheers,

Dem.:)
Dem, It is a software upgrade for the F1 transmission. Your dealer should be able to do it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dem, It is a software upgrade for the F1 transmission. Your dealer should be able to do it.
Thanks! Is this the upgrade that is lost if your battery runs flat or you flick the isolator switch on the car?

Cheers,

Dem.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, it would be written directly onto the ROM so it would not be lost. Otherwise you would loose the transmission everytime the battery went dead.

Hi!

Yes - that's exactly what I was concerned about, and am sure I heard that is exactly what does happen. Glad to hear it's not the case!

Anyway, while the car is still at the dealer, I've asked them to check the status of the ECU to see if the upgrade has already been done.

Do you have any idea, what the big deal is with the upgrade in terms of performance difference?

Thanks,

Dem.
;)

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Hi!

Yes - that's exactly what I was concerned about, and am sure I heard that is exactly what does happen. Glad to hear it's not the case!

Anyway, while the car is still at the dealer, I've asked them to check the status of the ECU to see if the upgrade has already been done.

Do you have any idea, what the big deal is with the upgrade in terms of performance difference?

Thanks,

Dem.
;)
If my memory is correct, it is supposted to provide better low speed shifting ( N to 1 and 1 to 2 ) for crawling in traffic.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
I do not believe there are great improvements in the TCU upgrade other than the ones stated by Boxer.

It is certainly worth having done, however.

Some have replaced the standard TCU with the CS ECU and they report a difference in fast and snappier shifting.

It's a good chunk of cash, however.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts