Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My business partner acquired a 2000 360 Modena F1 a few years back and I have the privilege of driving it on many occasions. As neither of us have another 360 to compare, my question to you all is about upshifting at higher RPM's. When driving with traffic and normal RPM's (let's say under 5K) the shift is as smooth as an automatic. But, above that mark, when shifting, the car bucks very aggresively before going into the next gear. As if the engine power is suddenly cut, gear shifted, and hammered back on. It seems like quite a bit longer than the 150 or so milliseconds the specs call for. It really is not pleasant. I've tried keeping my foot planted while shifting, letting of the gas when shifting. Everything seems to be about the same.

I'm just concerned that if this doesn't sound proper, damage could be done to the clutch and tranny. The car has 22k and was just into the dealer for all maintenance and one computer glitch. All else checked out great.

Side note, I have always been a Porsche turbo nut- but this 360 is amazing and I feel as though I might have to switch camps! My 996 turbo funds might have to be rededicated.

Thanks
Steve

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey there...

I am no Ferrari expert... However, I have noticed similar experience with my 360. I wonder if the f1 system realizes that if you are shifting above 5K or so that you are driving "agressively" and thus shifts as such??? Also, I have noticed that keeping your foot planted actually yields a smoother shift...

By the way, I too, thought my Carrera 993 was a dream... Until I drove my 360 for the first time! :eek:)

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
It's bliping the throttle and throwing it in gear very quickly, when driving aggressively this is pretty normal and will give you that jerky feeling. Like any clutch, the harder it's driven the less life it will have. How many miles does your friends 360 have? Could be time for a new clutch.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Sounds normal

While it's always possible something is wrong, your description sounds like correct and normal operation of the F1 transmission. The 360 F1 system is amazingly sophisticated and changes it's operating characteristics dramatically depending on circumstances. A variety of factors contribute to the operation including Normal or Sport mode, RPM at time of shift request, position of gas peddle and speed at time of request.

Just as you describe, the higher the RPM the more urgently it shifts. The smoothest shifting generally occurs in Normal mode between 3000 and 4500 RPM -- incredibly butter smooth, quiet and effortless. As you say, the smoothness is nothing short of astonishing and the consistency far above what any of us can do manually. The hesitation you describe is sometimes noticeable but is always much shorter than manual shifting. It just doesn't seem that way because you're not doing anything when the F1 does it, whereas you're a lot busier with a manual.

If you want the other extreme, get to a long open stretch of smooth dry highway with the car nice and warm. Switch to Sport mode and get yourself into 2nd gear, maybe 25-30 MPH, stomp gas to the floor. You will reach redline in a second or two at which time pull the shift to 3rd. Your head will be snapped back against the headrest by a monstrous old fashioned power shift. No warning, no hesitation, no nothin' but that howling flat crank V8 and the most instantaneous and violent power shift you've ever felt. With foot still on the floor you will be at redline again In barely another second and still pulling incredibly strong past 100 mph. If you're foolish enough to pull another shift, you'll get your head snapped again and be pulling hard past 130 before it's level. The thrill is incredible but it doesn't last long before you're pretty dangerous and way illegal.

360 F1 operation varies continuously between these two extremes depending on what you're asking the car to do. It's so much quicker and more consistent than manual shifting ever dreamed of. This is a formidable car and you need to thank your friend for letting you drive it.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Shift harshness, especially in "sport" mode has always been a point of ridicule and has been improved with each model (355,360,430). There is a "self-learn" function for the TCM, It's possible when the dealer corrected the computer glitch the adaptations for the F1 were lost.

Putting in some time driving in various conditions may help it re-learn and soften up, otherwise re-visit the dealer and ask them to check and if needed reset the clutch configurations.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Another possibility

Another factor is that there was a major TCU (Transmission Control Unit) upgrade for MY'02. The newer unit came with extensively revised software and easily accepted several factory software upgrades which the earlier unit did not. Some people switched out their MY'99-'01 TCU but it's likely the car you drove still has the original unit. Shifting is markedly smoother with the later TCU (and subsequent software revisions) so perhaps that explains your impression.

·
Registered
6,209 Posts
Just want to say:

Good response IMO Camdon

and

VERY WELCOME to ECSofVirginia .. is will be very nice to have a master mechanic here, especially one that can 'slap' me donw on bad advice. ....

[I have to be watched]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts