Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If it's time to change out your battery, I have two choices that are excellent:

1) Interstate MTP-91- a fantastic battery at around $120.00 +/-.
You have to play with the cross bar support just a little to get it to secure the battery. It is supplied with a vent tube which directly connects to the factory vent. make sure you get this when you buy the battery

It's a tremendous battery, however. I have this in my car, and it spins that engine like a rocket.

2) Odyssey PC-925- It's around $140.00
This is a dry cell battery that weighs only 26 lbs! It saves about 20-23 lbs over the OEM and the Interstate!

It's also quite a bit smaller measuring 6.64"L X7.05" W X 5.04" H.

When you order you need to indicate that you need the additional posts and that it is right post positive.

www.odysseybatteries.com

This offers tremendous weight savings, and they last a very long time.

The next change I am going to this one.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Doesn't the 360 require a battery vent hose connect?
Not if its an Oddessy PC925 - essentially its a sealed gel battery and it weights 50% less than factory so your saving as much as 26lbs [12kg's] if you also ditch the battery spill tray (stainless steel) too which is at least a kilo on its own too.

Only thing to be aware of these battery's don't like constant drain without recharge so you need to run your car on a battery tender.

Having said that if there is no drain on one, i.e. if you remove the +ve or -ve terminal it will stay charged for as long as 6 months!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I believe you have to specify right post positive when you order the PC-925.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'm a newbie. As I fly quite a lot, I will have to leave the 360 idle for quite a while, some times two to three weeks at a time. I know this will kill the battery. Question is if it is enough to turn off the battery switch located in the front bonnet? Do I need to do more? Thanks for any good experience.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I turn off my car with that switch everytime I leave it sit at the airport. I've actually left it for 2 weeks before and after turning it back on, it started right up. I'd let it warm up for 5 or so minutes after doing this to let the computer adapt... i've found that to be helpful.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I turn off my car with that switch everytime I leave it sit at the airport. I've actually left it for 2 weeks before and after turning it back on, it started right up. I'd let it warm up for 5 or so minutes after doing this to let the computer adapt... i've found that to be helpful.
You've left your Ferrari at an airport for two weeks? I have trouble parking mine when it's out of sight for two hours.

·
Super Moderator
2,210 Posts
I've used the Odyssey's on two previous cars, and while I like the size & weight savings, I think their ratings can be a bit optimistic on both the CCA as well as the expected life.

Whatever Odyssey recommends for a high compression V8 I would take with a grain of salt, and probably bump up to the next model as they don't have a lot of reserve and the inter cell voltage drops pretty quickly in cold weather. Plus hot weather and hotter engine bays tend to kill them pretty quickly.

I recently put a pair of PC925's in another car, connected in parallel, using silver plated copper bar from McMaster's, and relocated them between the back seat and the rear hatch area, making sure they were well secured. Because they're basically a "dry" technology, they don't off-gas much at all, so are safe enough to have in the cabin.

This setup didn't save much weight over a conventional wet battery, but it did save some space, and they certainly spin very well the turbocharged six in this car, so I'm hoping they'll crank the supercharged V8 that will be going in it soon too.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Greg, Thanks for the advice. The original Fiamm battery in my 04 Spider is fading fast. My local mechanic has the MTP-91 in stock so I'll give it a try.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
There is a cutoff switch in the 360. It's in the front compartment, upper left hand corner of the firewall.

While switching off should suffice for all but very long periods, it does erase the stored data and codes in the car. If you live in a state where they read the codes for either inspection or emissions (like VA), the lack of data will cause the car to fail. The car will need to be started and driven a bit before it builds up enough data. Not sure if there is any other downside to this tactic.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
There is a cutoff switch in the 360. It's in the front compartment, upper left hand corner of the firewall.

While switching off should suffice for all but very long periods, it does erase the stored data and codes in the car. If you live in a state where they read the codes for either inspection or emissions (like VA), the lack of data will cause the car to fail. The car will need to be started and driven a bit before it builds up enough data. Not sure if there is any other downside to this tactic.

Greg will chime in here, but the only down side is not letting the ECUs properly re-sync.

In my newer models, if you turn the key to the on, not starter starting position for about 30+ seconds, THEN turning on to let idle for about five min. I believe you'll have better results than just trying to go after the kill switch has been engaged.

Older models haven't quite that issue, as in my 348 scenario.

Most of the Ferraris [post-60's thinking] had the kill switch. Not sure if it were manditory at the time or an engineering solution for exotics, but almost all had it.

I drive mine enough to leave in the on position. ONLY kill or tend if leaving for over 10 days or so. Even now not much of a problem at the 10 day mark. ESPECIALLY after jerking out the alarms, remote locks, RADAR and LoJack things.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My battery won't hold charge

Hi I'm new to this forum. My 2004 360 battery won't hold a charge. It was replaced 4 years ago (fiamm stock). Is there a simple suggestion for a replacement battery that would be easy to install by a local mechanic/friend. I'm not concerned w weight

Thank you for your thoughts

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Hi I'm new to this forum. My 2004 360 battery won't hold a charge. It was replaced 4 years ago (fiamm stock). Is there a simple suggestion for a replacement battery that would be easy to install by a local mechanic/friend. I'm not concerned w weight

Thank you for your thoughts

A Delco 91 is a direct replacement. No modifications of any kind required.

·
Premium Member
11,886 Posts
Dan- Welcome to Ferrari Life.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Just installed a new Interstate AGM Battery

Fits 360 battery well perfectly, no mods to the hold down straps. My techs have high praise for this battery and consider it best AGM (but that is probably a matter of opinion)

Interstate Product: MT7-34R
Cold Cranking Amps : 800a
Length: 10.82 "
Height: 7.84"
Price: about $250 (give or take)

Regards,

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,886 Posts
That or the Odyssey 34R-1500T would be my choice for a 360 or F430.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts