Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm looking for my first Ferrari, it's going to be a 355, that much I know - 360's are out of my price range unfortnately.

Questions I have are as follows:
Anyone drive a GTS - I like fresh air but I don't want to compromise the rigidity of the car too much, and I don't want it to be full of squeeks, or heaven forbid, fill up with water! i suppose the question to any GTS owners is - would you buy another?

Secondly, I see a lot advertised with these rear challenge grilles. Now, I may be in a minority here, but I don't actually like them, I prefer the clean lines of how they left the factory, so the question is, how do the grilles fit and can they be removed. By ruling out cars fitted with a challenge grille, am I narrowing down my choice for no sensible reason?

Third question - UK specific but it might apply to other countries - how does a Ferrari cope with the ever-increasing number of speed humps and bumps in this country?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
If you like the open air driving than the GTS is the way to go. My 308 GTS is 25 years old and it has no squeaks or leaks. It has a very solid feel when driving. I think my next Ferrari will be a 355 and it will definately be a spider!

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
hey urban

there are several GTS owners here (348 & 355), i'm sure that they will help you out, even several british owners for that matter

but about the challenge grill, it's a factory option
so that's the way to roll out of the factory, as far as i know, it can't be changed back

·
Registered
473 Posts
Urban996 said:
Hi,

I'm looking for my first Ferrari, it's going to be a 355, that much I know - 360's are out of my price range unfortnately.

Third question - UK specific but it might apply to other countries - how does a Ferrari cope with the ever-increasing number of speed humps and bumps in this country?

Thanks
Comment on your third question :

I used to own a 355B, great car I really recommend it.. The speed bump issue is a tough one for the 355 as the front air spoiler under the car is fairly low to the ground so it's easy to hit. Most 355's have some form of damage on this spoiler due to scraping so check out the underside of any car you consider purchasing. Over here in California, some cars have special skid pads added to the front underside of the 355 to avoid this damage.

Derm

·
Registered
770 Posts
Urban - welcome to the site.

I drive a 348ts - and yes, I'd buy another one - it's still very rigid, so don't expect masses of scuttle shake like you'd get in a spider.

Speed bumps definitely are an issue - however, I don't think the 355 is a great deal lower than the 348, if there's any difference at all.

You quickly get a feel for what the car will go over (which in speed bump terms is most things) and what it won't. In my experience you'll have a bigger problem with hills that meet flat roads - difficult to explain - but imagine going up or down the slopes in a multi-story - that's a much more effective way of knackering the front than speed bumps.

Have you looked at any 355s yet? If so, whereabouts?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guys,

Thanks for all your helpful advice.

Bazil - no, I haven't looked at any yet other than scouring the net to find what's available etc. I figure that until I'm reasonably sure in my own mind what I want - GTB or GTS - then there's not much point going out looking.

Thanks
Martin

·
Registered
55 Posts
hey urban

there are several GTS owners here (348 & 355), i'm sure that they will help you out, even several british owners for that matter

but about the challenge grill, it's a factory option
so that's the way to roll out of the factory, as far as i know, it can't be changed back
As far as I know, Challenge grilles can be ordered from the factory on a new car, but you also can order one afterwards from the dealership. I´ve seen a number of cars where the grilles were put on afterwards and the other way around. It is a removable panel, so it should be possible to change it from the Challenge grille back into the body coloured panel.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
When our gang had the F355s we compared notes and came to the conclusion that the B is the better car. The S tend to 'leak' at the edge of the 'Targa" roof and it tends to 'squeak'. So if you like to drive fast and take the car to the track now and then, I suggest you get the B.

If you want open air then get the Spyder. Sorry to all the S owners but that the general opinions of my friends and fellow owners. So there's no prejudice. We've moved on to the Modena since and now to Stradales, all five of us.

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
I have had a F 355 GTS for 2 years. It is a great drivers car. No issues with body stiffness, but it does leak slightly on the front corners of the Targa roof panel. It is not an issue when moving but can be annoying if you get stuck in traffic in the rain. If you are buying for track use, go with the B, if for summer road use the GTS or Spider are more fun.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I definitely recommend a GTS, the best of both worlds. Possibly a tad less rigid than a GTB (does it really matter that much ?), but the noise with the top off is soooooo beautiful that I find the car plain boring in comparison with the top on.
Sunshine, blue sky and soundtrack are well worth the compromise.
As for the leaks, I only have a few drops of water coming in in the driver mirror area when I pressure-wash the car, not an excuse but something that you can live with.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone, being a weekend car only, the GTS is looking favourite - looks and fresh air - sounds perfect!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts