Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which do you think is the better value for the buck?

355 is about $85K and 328's are about $45 for the right car. ( i.e low milage, no accident history, well maintained, red/tan).

Questions are

Do you think the xtra $$ for the 355 is worth it?
Do you think the 328 is the better car?
Maintenance on each?

Opinions please.

My plans are the weekend driver and satisfying the ferrari fever.

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
Both will satisfy the Ferrari fever. The F355 will cost more when you get it serviced as the underbody is sheet metal, difficult to get to places, equals more labor. The 328 will be cheaper to maintain. If your confident with a wrench you can work on the 328 easier but that doesn't mean the F355 is impossible, just more difficult.

Performance: F355 will edge out the 328. Excitement level of the two I cannot comment one totally. I can say this, EBRINK rode in a F355 this weekend, he loved it. He owns a 328.

Looks: Opinion, so it is up to your taste on this one.

I would suggest getting the 328, seeing how that is for you, and in two years or sooner you can upgrade to the F355 or a 360.

·
Registered
106 Posts
ok ok, now i will have to respond :D
Yes I own a 328GTS and yes I drove erikdee his 355GTB :)
328 costs are half all the way: tires, services, purchase :wink:
If you think it is half the fun buying your first ferrari?
You couldn't be more wrong :oops:
Buy a 328, its the most beautifull car ever made; and if prices come down and money in pocket goes up upgrade to 355 :eek:
Happy to tell you more, private message gets more info :wink:
Ferrari is a desease, doesn't matter what type you drive/own,
you will never loose that feeling :lol:

·
Registered
770 Posts
If you want to look at it - buy the 328. If you want to drive it - buy the 355.

Easy :green:

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
the underbody is sheet metal
Actually it's a type of plastic, not fibre glass nor carbon fibre. I don't know what it is. It is quite easy to remove it but as you rightly pointed out the F355 have to be serviced and repaired by the dealer since it has to be "reset" by a Ferrari computer each and every time you do work on the car or the warning light will keep flasing on the dashboard. The 328 is still on the "classic" mechanical and may be serviced by a competent workshop.

I have owned both. For a "classic" look the 328 is hard to beat. But like a classic sports car, the steering is hard and the clutch is heavy. The space between the accelerator and the brake is very small and got to get used to if you have big feet. Parking is a handful because of the heavy steering but once on the move the car feels more "secure" than the F355. It feels more "planted" to the road!!

The F355 is a lovely car to drive, very responsive and the sound is the best of the V8s. Even the 360 does not sound that good. The only criticism that I have of the F355 is the front feels "light" at speeds of 270kph and above. Otherwise, it's a better car overall. But the maintainance is much higher. The biggest being the cam belt cahnge that is mandated by the factory, every 3 years or 30,000km whichever is earlier. To do this change the whole engine has to be "dropped". Whereas with the 328, because of the transverse engine, the work can be done without dropping the engine.

The other advantage that the 328 has over the F355 is it has a "boot" behind the engine and it's spacious enough for a golf bag. So if you play golf, this is something to consider. :p

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK thanks for all that, Excellent information I do appreciate it.

The next question is do you think the 328 is underpowered with 265 hp compared to 380 on the 355?

·
Registered
106 Posts
The next question is do you think the 328 is underpowered with 265 hp compared to 380 on the 355?
Answer is easy, the 328 isn't over powered :cry: The 355 has no lack of power :wink: From the book by Stefano Pasini, Ferrari 328 GTB/GTS
We would like to see 50 more hp's and people with this mentality are no longer the target of today's ferrari. For this reason, the 328 deserves to be appreciated for what it is: a beautiful, fast,costly Grand Touring for two persons, in the best tradition of Ferrari performance.
And that is a lot, a whole lot........
ISBN 88-85058-59-0

·
Registered
776 Posts
One thing to concider might be your height. I stand 6'2" tall and I can not fit is a 328. The 355 feels very nice though. If you are tall, the 355 might be the answer. If you are shorter...go with your heart!
(Not much help am I?)

·
Registered
900 Posts
Bazil said:
I actually think it's the other way around. I believe a 328 would be more of a daily driver and the 355 is a weekend driver...

...but then again I have no experience with this...

... :work:

·
Registered
770 Posts
mchferrari said:
Bazil said:
I actually think it's the other way around. I believe a 328 would be more of a daily driver and the 355 is a weekend driver...
I was more talking from the point of view that the 328 is a really beautiful car - a classic Ferrari design, whereas (personally) I think the 355 is one of the Ferraris that most lacks any real visual impact. But the 355 is an absolutely fabulous handling car - a classic Ferrari driving experience.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What about common problems on the 328 and 355? I know the exhaust on the 355 is an issue, plus as stated the high cost of 15,000 mile check due to the engine removal. What else?

The pedals on the 328 are too close togather, plus I understand the Air conditioning is not so cool. Anything else?

·
Registered
770 Posts
vref said:
...plus I understand the Air conditioning is not so cool. Anything else?
Aye - the electric windows on the 328 are painfully slow - but I wouldn't call this a problem - more of a "feature"!!! :lol:

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
vref, if you mean the butterfly valve on the rear outlet giving problem, it is not a common thing. It's rare that this gives problem unless you're unlucky. The thing that's annoying about the F355 is the oxgen sensor unit. This tends to let in moisture and foul-up the sensor and you'll get the warning light telling you to go to the workshop. Again this happens to some models.

The 328 is more "robust" and easier to repair but the F355 is a better car to drive. Why not test drive both and then make up your mind.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well test driving the 328 and 355 is becoming a chore. The Ferrari dealer here said he wouldnt test drive me in a 355 unless we had a contract, he said the test drive was the last thing we were going to do.

I told him that I would not even consider him as a source for service or sales if he insisted on that position. I am not going to make a commitement on a $100K car without exploring all my options.
I called the Ferrari dealer in Denver and San diego, same policy.

This really pisses me off.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
vref, sorry to hear about that. Ferrari dealers can be qiute a snooty lot. Perhaps they have their reasons.

Looks is subjective. You either prefer the classic Ferrari look or the modern look. The 328 is the classic Ferrari while the 355 is the first of the modern Ferrari series. You may prefer one or the other.

But in terms of "feel" and "power" the 355 is far better. But as with all modern models, the car has to be plugged into the dealers computer before they can be diagnosed and repaired, so you have to go back to your local dealer for maintance and repair. If that is not a concern and you like the feel of power, handling and agility, then go for the 355. Dynamically it's a much better car. But make sure it has its cambelt changed recently because that can be a major repair cost for a pre-owned car.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I guess I know that the 355 will be more car. But its also a $100 grand and like you said back to the dealer every time I need something, for a pretty penny. Plus the $7000 service at 30K is something to accrue $$ for. That is why I wanted to take a hard look at the 328 half the price and a excellent ferrari from what everyone says. Plus I can wrench it myself, that will save a few bucks.

I guess I need to fly to florida and drive a few. thanks for your help stradale.

I need to call Ebrink he has a 328, I just need to call him.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Vref wrote:
Why don't you :cry:
I send you my phonenumber ages ago :x
Still no vref on the line :roll:
Vref, you better start calling and explaining why you didn't :eek:
Next year I will charge you for a phone call :wink:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
EBRINK said:
Vref wrote:
Why don't you :cry:
I send you my phonenumber ages ago :x
Still no vref on the line :roll:
Vref, you better start calling and explaining why you didn't :eek:
Next year I will charge you for a phone call :wink:
I just don't like the body styles. I usually see them in coupes and not convertibles.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts