Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which would make the best 1st Ferrari?

A 348 Spider or a 328 GTS?

I like the looks of both and the prices are both within reach.

It seems that the 348 models were not that popular.

Is this true? If so, why?

Any help you all can give would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
106 Posts
DonPablo,
Easy question, easy question,..............328GTS :)
348 is a small version look alike of the testa rossa, tail lights, doors etc :x
328 is the most beautiful ferrari ever been built! :wink:
Remember one thing, a spyder isn't allowed on the circuit! :-?

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
Welcome to the site. I would hope EBRINK would give you his driving impressions and experience and then Bazil and Justyn can give you their experience in their 348 and then you will have a good idea which to get.

Now I would choose the 328 because I think it is the more reliable option. As for looks, I cannot make this decision, it is what you like.

Performance, about the same.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Andrew,
Thanks for coming to the defense of Pete and Don. We all started out as novices in areas that we consider ourselves experts or at least competent now.

Bill

·
Registered
770 Posts
EBRINK said:
Easy question, easy question,..............328GTS :)
348 is a small version look alike of the testa rossa, tail lights, doors etc :x
328 is the most beautiful ferrari ever been built! :wink:
Not biased at all... :wink:

Actually - I'm sure there would be a number of people who would agree with EBRINK on the beauty of the 328 series. Although, the reality is slightly different, in that it's quite an unfortuntely fat and ugly evolution of the genuinely beautiful original 308 design. In fact, the ultimate evolution of the 308 series, the 288 GTO was the look most sane people hoped the 328 would have been - alas it wasn't to be, so we have to listen to people desperately hype the 328 to make up for it's shortcomings.

(Note - I'm :cry: laughing as I write this. EBRINK baiting is my new 2004 hobby!!)

Anyway - all of that reality aside - whether or not it's a beautiful car is totally irrelevant to the question of what's the best first ferrari, so lets get on to that.

It's quite an interesting question in one respect - you wouldn't ask what's the best first Ford, or the best first BMW, so why ask it for Ferrari?

I guess it comes down to affordability. It you were a multi millionaire, you'd just buy whichever model you wanted - no need to worry about what the best 1st one would be!!

Most people, including most Ferrari owners, are not in such an enviable position - so the question is really, which model will provide the best "Ferrari experience" out of the ones I can afford. I honestly believe the answer to that, for the models you've mentioned, is - either of them.

But - they are different cars, so I'll try to be helpful rather than just pontificating!!!

I can't really comment on the 328 series - if you can get EBRINK or one of the other 328 chaps to be a little more forthcoming about the model and the ownership experience, then they'll be your best reference. There's no substitute for talking to an owner.

Equally - if you're focussed only on the 348 spider, Justyn's the best reference for that - as his is a spider - and a bloody gorgeous looking one at that!!!

As you're looking at the 328 GTS have you considered the 348TS/GTS?

You mentioned the 348 series not being that popular - which is an interesting point as there were more 348 series cars produced than almost any other Ferrari.

The 348 series was launched at a time when Ferrari was producing both the Testarossa, and the F40 - 2 of the 3 definitive sports cars of the 80s - so it was never going to be seen as the greatest Ferrari ever. No question there were reliability problems with the early cars. No question, the 355 that replaced it was a great leap forwards in terms of both handling an performance, eclipsing the 348 (and most of the other Ferrari models in truth!!). Some say they don't think it looked good - but look at this page (http://www.hyperwerks.se/f348/photogallery.html) and tell me honestly that it's not bloody gorgeous!!!

But I personally think you have to take it as a stand alone model. You can easily make both the 328 and 348 look poor by comparing them to other cars.

My 348 is a fabulous car - just like EBRINK, I am biased.

Personally, I think the Testarossa/348 models are gorgeous - I love the look of the slatted sides.

It makes a fantastic noise. It's so much more raw than a Porche.

The interior is one of the most classic interiors you will find anywhere - I honestly believe this is the one cosmetic area in which the 348 totally outclasses the 328.

In terms of handling - it's unbelievable. You'll probably read lots of articles which say the 348 doesn't handle perfectly. At 105% of the capability of a professional racing driver, on the track, that may be true. But if you're going to reach that point on the road, you're going to need to be certifiable!! For us mortals - and I'm no monkey behind the wheel - it's staggering.

But, all that said you are right; they're not looked upon as fondly as some models, and this is exactly what makes them such fantastic value today, and an excellent first Ferrari.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Bazil wrote:
I hope this year brings you all everything you wish for, EBRINK baiting is my new 2004 hobby
Well bazil my wildest dreams came true! :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
770 Posts
EBRINK said:
Bazil wrote:
I hope this year brings you all everything you wish for, EBRINK baiting is my new 2004 hobby
Well bazil my wildest dreams came true! :lol: :lol: :lol:
:green: :green: :green:

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Don't ask me for technical or reliability, but for the looks? 348 spider all the way. 348 ts vs 328 GTS will be the 328, but the spider is so gorgeous...

·
Registered
60 Posts
DonPablo said:
Which would make the best 1st Ferrari?

A 348 Spider or a 328 GTS?

I like the looks of both and the prices are both within reach.

It seems that the 348 models were not that popular.

Is this true? If so, why?

Any help you all can give would be appreciated.

Thanks
[/b]Definetely the 348 Spider: there is a unique feeling when you drive in the open air with a 348 Spider rumbling beyond yours ears and beautiful scenarios embrassing you.

Reliability itìs good because all the 348 models produced after the year 1993 do not present the original problems,

About the attractiveness, manage to have a 328 GTS and a 348 Spider close eachother ...... and you will understand the difference.

There is a very interesting book titled "Ferrari 328 - 348 - Mondial. 1986 - 1994" Brooklands books ltd. (P.O. box 146, Cobham, Surrey, KT11 1LG. UK)

Happy New year to everybody

fradefa48

·
Registered
106 Posts
fradefa48 wrote:
Reliability itìs good because all the 348 models produced after the year 1993 do not present the original problems
You must be joking right :lol: :lol:
The 348 was only made until 1995 :oops:
So only the last two years of production are good :cry:
Still wondering why prices are so low? :roll: :roll:
Anybody want a 348, Bazil you maybe? :green:
Glad to have you here, welcome to the site.

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
EBRINK said:
The 348 was only made until 1994 :oops:
So only the last year of production is good :cry:
Could someone tell me why I've bothered spending time for 2 years building the models section here ON THE SITE if no one every uses it! :cry:

We are talking about the 348 Spyder....production ended in 1995 not 1994. :ugh:

While EBRINK forgot to welcome you to the site I won't.

fradefa48,
Glad to have you here, and welcome to the site. What other Ferraris have you driven?

·
Registered
60 Posts
EBRINK said:
fradefa48 wrote:
Reliability itìs good because all the 348 models produced after the year 1993 do not present the original problems
Thank you for your welcome.

I'm not joking, because the Spider was started february 1993 and ended 1995, thus all the production is good and (incidentally) the engine is the new version 325 bhp (i.e. about 65 bhp more powerfull than the GTS).
Sorry. :wink:
As far as price is concerned, a Spider is always sold someting higher than a GTS.
Of course, if you don't like a spider, don't buy the Spider!! :D

Best wishes and remember: we are anyway talking of two great cars.
(But the 348 Spider is better) :p

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
EBRINK said:
fradefa48 wrote:
covering up your mistakes hé :wink: :p :roll: :green:

in 1993 the spider came out, and the other models where named GTB/GTS (instead of TB/TS) wich had improved power, new electronics, power steering,...

·
Registered
770 Posts
fradefa48 said:
the engine is the new version 325 bhp (i.e. about 65 bhp more powerfull than the GTS).
Welcome fradefa48!

Indeed - the 348 Spider/GTB/GTS and the limited edition 348 GT Competizione all used the F119H engine which produced 320bhp.

I must mail Justyn to get him to stick his oar into this - I'm sure he'll evangelise the 348 Spider for us!!

·
Registered
749 Posts
Bazil said:
The 348 series was launched at a time when Ferrari was producing both the Testarossa, and the F40 .... No question there were reliability problems with the early cars.
Bazil said:
Indeed - the 348 Spider/GTB/GTS and the limited edition 348 GT Competizione all used the F119H engine which produced 320bhp.

Baz,
I'm (yes, still :nuts: ) in the market for a Mondial but have kept away from the last T-series after being advised by some Australian club members that its 3.4 engine with the relocated longitudinal mounting can be no end of trouble. Is this only the case for earlier cars, and if so up to what year? I think the Mondial T may go to '93 (sorry Andrew I haven't checked the Models section on this - yet! :oops: )

·
Registered
770 Posts
4kids3fish said:
I'm (yes, still :nuts: ) in the market for a Mondial but have kept away from the last T-series after being advised by some Australian club members that its 3.4 engine with the relocated longitudinal mounting can be no end of trouble. Is this only the case for earlier cars, and if so up to what year? I think the Mondial T may go to '93 (sorry Andrew I haven't checked the Models section on this - yet! :oops: )
I know the Mondial t engine is a very close relation to the early 348 engine (the F119D) but I've got to be honest in that I don't know what the differences actually are.

Yes the Mondial t was produced up to 1993 - same year the 348's were upgraded.

It was always my understanding that the best buys were the Mondial 3.2s - they have the same engine as the 328 - which is supposed to be pretty reliable. They're the first one's without the hideously ugly black bumpers. Most importantly, however, they're not as expensive as the Mondial t - which makes them really good value.

Not sure if this helps or hinders though :D

·
Registered
749 Posts
Bazil said:
Not sure if this helps or hinders though :D
My dear Bazil (if I may be so familiar),

Your posts are always helpful and much appreciated by all, I'm sure (except maybe EBRINK :green: ). Just keep away from topics such as rugby (ugh! :evil: ), cricket (oh dear! :oops: ) and our Royal Family's carry-ons (erk! :eek: ) and I will be forever indebted, etc, etc. 8) 8)

·
Registered
180 Posts
In place of a 328, i would prefer a 308 gts...at least a euro spec one...not a gtsi...

But i'm sure than the 348 spider or a 328 gts will give you lot of fun...

Just one word, choose the one you prefer...it's not for the others it's FOR YOU !!!

I love my 348 i just drove the car one hour till now and i totally fell in love with this car...60.000 km, without any problems...

If the services history of the car is well know, you won't have any problem...
otherwise....choose one other car.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Bob348 said:
Just one word, choose the one you prefer...it's not for the others it's FOR YOU !!!
Perfectly right, Geoffrey.

But a too polite Forum could be nasty: let's jock a little bit. :wink:
Thus, my car is by definition better than the others!! :green: :green:

Waiting for your impressions on Monday : 8) 8) 8)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts