Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to get a Ferrari sometime soon, but as i don`t have unlimited funds :( can anyone give their opinion on which one? A 348 or Testarossa? And why. What should i look out for on each model and does anyone know anything about Forza288?

I would certainly appreciate any help on this.

Regards.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
I do not know anything about Forza288, but I do know that we already discussed something like this. I will find the topic and post it here.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
oh, that one was about 355 vs Testarossa in this thread: http://www.ferrariforum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3221

In general it says: Testarossa is more expensive because of the 4 more cilinders, but most important is what you want to do with it. Make a list of priorities, go to a Ferrari-mechanic and ask what maintainance costs for both models, and then drive both cars. That is the best way to decide what model is best for you.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Don't forget the 348 is the newer car of the two, so it might be possible that these cars require a bit less caution when you look for one (rust for instance, but also the wear on some important parts). The maintenance I believe is cheaper with the 8-cilinder car.

Niels

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Digital said:
I am planning to get a Ferrari sometime soon, but as i don`t have unlimited funds :( can anyone give their opinion on which one? A 348 or Testarossa? And why. What should i look out for on each model and does anyone know anything about Forza288?

I would certainly appreciate any help on this.

Regards.
Suggest you check with the FOC-UK about Forza288. They should be able to give you some feedback. If this is your first Ferrari, I would recommend going back one model and looking at the 328. Running and service costs will be much lower on a 328 than on either a 348 or a Testarossa. Also for Testarossa money, you now might be able to find an early F355, which I would highly recommend.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone so far for your advice.

I don`t know if its quite the same for anyone else in a similar situation, but one minute you eagerly plan for the time when you will get that Ferrari, then you think about all the practical issues, not least running costs, or catching the underside somewhere on an uneven road, speed bump or some other buttock clenching road surface.Speed cameras, boy racers, etc. And then you re-think should i bother? I know its some form of curse, i have run around in my Cosworth for sixteen years and often wondered, whats it all about :nuts:

I do find plodding around in an old landy so much fun :lol:

Regards.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I spent 12 months looking for a decent Testarossa - and eventually ended up with a 348. In truth - I'm glad I did.

If money is an object - and for most of us it is, then the 348 is by far the most sensible option.

Although 348 and Testarossa prices are currently very similar in the UK, there's a world of difference between both the reality and the potential running costs.

Forza288, in my humble opinion, is an excellent dealer. I visited them when I was looking, and although I didn't end up buying a car from him, I was very impressed.

There's some good advice above - although the only thing I don't agree with is that you can get a 355 for Testarossa money - you can't.

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
Welcome to the site. Looks like you already have been given some great information. Hopefully we can help you make the right choice.

For the 348 I'm sure you know that it is best to try and get a later model. An early 348 vs a late Testarossa or 512TR I would opt for the Testarossa.

I do believe cost of maintaining the 348 will be less than the Testarossa. This fact is of course something to take into consideration.

For driving I can't say the differences very well. If possible try to get behind the wheels of both of them and see for yourself which one you like best.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you so far!

Yes, i really appreciate everyones time and advice on this. I too feel that 355`s are about 15-20k more than a 348.

Can anyone remark about values of these cars over the last decade? The last time i looked into a Ferrari, a Testarossa was about 50K. Do most Ferrari models devalue as a matter of course? As just about any car does.

There is one other thing that puzzles me :roll: If Ferraris are as good as i think they are (they look better than any Porche) why aren`t there more of them on the roads? And if its because there have never been that many made, why are they relatively cheap?

Best wishes to all.

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Bazil said:
There's some good advice above - although the only thing I don't agree with is that you can get a 355 for Testarossa money - you can't.
I would like to respectfully differ (and clarify my point) on the pricing, there is some overlap between the top end of the Testarossa/348 marlet and the lower end of the F355 market currently. Checking both current ads, and the qv500 price guides, the top end of the former is GBP 40k and I have seen ads for F355's in the very high 30's. Good luck with the hunt.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Boxer42 said:
Bazil said:
I would like to respectfully differ (and clarify my point) on the pricing, there is some overlap between the top end of the Testarossa/348 marlet and the lower end of the F355 market currently. Checking both current ads, and the qv500 price guides, the top end of the former is GBP 40k and I have seen ads for F355's in the very high 30's. Good luck with the hunt.
I can only imagine that a high 30k 355 would have been left hand drive. Personally, I've never seen one below £45k

·
Registered
770 Posts
Boxer42 said:
Bazil, There are currently several F355's listed for sale on the FOC website for under GBP 45k. :eek:
You're right!!

4 out of the 5 are Left Hand Drive as I suspected cars at that price would be.

The other one is 41,000km and a private sale. To be honest, I was mentally discounting private sales, as personally, I think anyone buying a high mileage 355 (and to be < £45k it'd have to be high mileage) needs to go and see a doctor - quickly!!!

I'm standing by what I said orginally for the minute - 355s and Testarossas do not overlap in price terms - at least not on a like for like basis! :green:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Watch out for the the leaky roof on the 348, I'v heard owners complain about that. Maybe you should go for a 92-93 348.

Have you thought about getting a 348 ts series speciale?(you could only find a 348 SS in North America...100 examples were made)
More infos on the 348 SS and other 348 :
http://www.ferrariclub.com/faq/348versions.html

348 vs Testarossa
To me ...a 348 can out handle a Testarossa but it can't out accelerate one.
You choose..

·
Registered
824 Posts
As for your question of depreciation and why you don't see them that often:

Depreciation value of the TR is in my view as low as it can get. I don't think the cars will drop far below 50k Euro. They are too old today to depreciate fast anymore, it still is an icon and future classic. this makes me think that TR prices would rather go up in time again then that they will drop.

That is also one of the reasons Ferraris are not seen that much on the road. Many owners (like almost every owner on the forum here) is very proud of their car and they take very good care of it. A little dent or scratch on the car will give them a minor stroke ;-) This often also means they don't drive the car when it rains or in the winter period. On top of that it is not the ideal car for everyday used as you already pointed out for speed bumps, cameras etc as well as the relatively high maintenance costs. I once spoke to a Boxer owner who had trouble finding tyres for his car and he also said that the car was comfortable to drive at speeds above 150 km/h. Only problem is that only 120 is allowed here!

Niels

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
That is also one of the reasons Ferraris are not seen that much on the road. Many owners (like almost every owner on the forum here) is very proud of their car and they take very good care of it. A little dent or scratch on the car will give them a minor stroke ;-) This often also means they don't drive the car when it rains or in the winter period. On top of that it is not the ideal car for everyday used as you already pointed out for speed bumps, cameras etc as well as the relatively high maintenance costs. I once spoke to a Boxer owner who had trouble finding tyres for his car and he also said that the car was comfortable to drive at speeds above 150 km/h. Only problem is that only 120 is allowed here!

Niels[/quote]

Niels, I agree with your friend, the Boxer is a lot easier and more comfortable to drive at 160 km/h then it is at 100-120 km/h. It is truly a car that the fast you go, the better it gets. :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ferrari/348 depreciation

250lm said:
As for your question of depreciation and why you don't see them that often:

Depreciation value of the TR is in my view as low as it can get. I don't think the cars will drop far below 50k Euro. They are too old today to depreciate fast anymore, it still is an icon and future classic. this makes me think that TR prices would rather go up in time again then that they will drop.
Niels
Hi Niels.

Concerning your reply to depreciation. I would like to think that 348s have bottomed but i have doubts about this. However, all Ferrari models seem to have come to a much more realistic price than a few years ago. Unless someone can correct me, i had heard somehwere that an F40 was changing hands for £1,000,000. :cry:

Can anyone actually confirm what has happened to the value of Ferrari cars within the last 5 years? Or would we rather not know.

Anyway, i am really happy to know that Ferrari owners are no different to what i had imagined them to be!............Just like me. :D

I will try out both cars as already suggested, then decide. I think both cars look better than some of the later models.

Regards to all.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Digital,

Re prices, there are some good price guides around that track prices historically (but most need to be subscribed to). Try the Ferrari Market Letter, you can usually find some slightly-out-of-date issues around the web (incl here at FF) which will show you movements over the past 2 years. My guess is that the TR may still be dropping a little (maybe 2% pa) and the 348 a lot more (maybe 10% pa). I'll try to check tonight & confirm. Excluding the "specials" such as F40, etc, most 70's cars are on the up and most 80's ones are approaching flat. Newer ones are still depreciating significantly like most cars do.

Re TR vs 348, I envy you being in the position to choose one! I'd think that the TR would need a far bigger service/repair budget, plus insurance may be more, plus would be older. Need to be double-sure it had been properly looked after by prev owners.

·
Registered
48 Posts
i would pick the testarossa because I like its styling better than the 348. However, i think a person would need to be in pretty good shape to drive a testarossa in the city because it's a big car with no power steering and it got a heavy gearbox and clutch.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts